Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2006 C70 Faulty electrics

Views : 639

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2018, 09:56   #1
choccielover2006

Default 2006 C70 Faulty electrics

Hi, I have bought a Volvo C70 2006 recently but it has numerous faults including the roof and other items under the bonnet, am trying to get my money back from the dealer (feel a court case pending). Would like to buy another but am worried that I may experience the same with other C70s, are electrical problems a known fault with this model? Beautiful car but don't want to get caught out again....
choccielover2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 18:53   #2
phil1968
Master Member

I've had mine for 3.5 years now with no more than expected wear & tear items for a 10 year old car to replace; coil springs all round, A/C condenser (replaced myself), front brake discs, tyres all round, battery. The only electrical item of note to fail has been the alarm siren module, but then the internal battery has a known lifetime of 8 to 10 years. The roof mechanism is very reliable generally. Sounds as though you've been very unlucky & have grounds for recourse if bought from a dealer. What's the mileage out of curiosity?

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 21:28   #3
choccielover2006

Default Mileage

Bought it at 89000 allegedly! Subsequent diagnostics are indicating that this may have been tampered with. Has made me question whether to try and find another or am I going to experience the same problems.
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 16:30   #4
FredGraham

Default My Car

I also bought a 2006 C70, from a small independent (possibly dodgy) dealer. Within a month it "unusually" suffered catastrophic roof failure. Managed to argue with the warranty company & received a goodwill payment which covered the repair cost. I now have a roof that does what it is supposed to do. It worked when I picked up the car. Were the electrical faults actual faults or dashboard messages? I went through similar, getting messages that certain services for various parts were needed. Turned out cleaning the CEM & clearing the fault codes sorted all the problems. I bought my car February this year and despite the issues I've had with it I'm glad I've stuck with the car, it's such a fun drive. I'm still coming across niggling little things that I didn't know to look for but can accept on a 12 year old car, as they don't affect driving performance, mine had only done 40k miles with service & MOT history. From what you've said it sounds a bad dealer experience but there are lots of things to learn about the C70 prior to buying one. I wish you the best of luck.
FredGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FredGraham For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 17:37   #5
choccielover2006

Default Are all C70s faulty?

Have just spent out on an AA report on another C70 and it has exactly the same problems! Am losing the will to live! Am feeling that a S40 might be a better bet although not what I originally wanted but without the worry of the roof....Has taken all the fun out of having a new car
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 19:01   #6
S402002

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccielover2006 View Post
Have just spent out on an AA report on another C70 and it has exactly the same problems! Am losing the will to live! Am feeling that a S40 might be a better bet although not what I originally wanted but without the worry of the roof....Has taken all the fun out of having a new car
well i dont know if s40 would be better my friend had many eletric problems with s40! as i own c70 i had a lot of problems with it but caused byincompetent garages! I think i have visited every garage in southampton to sort out the problems made by other mechanics. Well as i have spent a lot of time and cash in it i would like to push it off the cliff! It stopped me abroad due to ac compressor breakdown which caused alternator belt break. Local independent saab and volvo garage said as they think something is wrong with c70 mk2 as they have other customer who have constant problems with his car. I own vida service tool if you would like to scan your car to find out errors, ure not living far as im in soton.
S402002 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S402002 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 21:47   #7
volvo for ever
Premier Member

what are the electrical problems ?
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 21:29   #8
choccielover2006

Thanks for the offer, have had it diagnosed and may cost more than the vehicle is worth to repair. ECU faults with roof and under the bonnet! Seeing a solicitor Friday! Such a shame as otherwise a stunning car.
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 21:30   #9
choccielover2006

Numerous faults showing on dash, from alternator, hand brake, abs, roof......
The Following User Says Thank You to choccielover2006 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 22:52   #10
poiuytre111

I had all sorts of issues with my C70 up to and including intermittent loss of all dash lights and electrical functions (but the car kept going).

I removed the CEM which was easy enough to do, unplugged all connectors, probably sprayed contact cleaner and reassembled. All has been fine since - over about 6 months.
poiuytre111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to poiuytre111 For This Useful Post: