Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting Problems

Views : 27546

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2010, 23:49   #1
JasonT2

Default Starting Problems

Hi got a v50 sport 2.0D on a 56 plate , its got a ramdom starting problem most of the time its fine but sometimes for no reason it just turns over and not fire up .Air seems to be getting into the diesel fuel system .Been in to volvo but no joy shows no fault code .First time this happened AA came out to help but he to was perplexed .A little spray of carb cleaner up the air intake solved the problem short term but i know this is not a good idea or a long term solution .It seem to me that a non return valve is not performing correctly .Any help on this matter would be appreciated thanks Jason
JasonT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 00:20   #2
Guru
Premier Member

Hi,

See this thread
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 20:56   #3
cymroboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
hi as guru said read this post, ive had nothing but trouble with mine a 2006 v50 2.0d ,replaced the throttle body 2 weeks ago and its been fine since !!!
cymroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 15:03   #4
Gapples

Yep, got sick of cleaning out my throttle valve body after a while, bit the bullet & bought a new one, lightened my wallet by £78 but now it starts first time every time again, BUT for how long is anyones guess ?
The problem in this instance is a valve made of cheap ****e plastic instead of good quality aluminium alloy.
The car I owned prior to the Volvo was an MG ZS 2.0ltr diesel, it was 3 years older, done similer miles, bought it on ebay for about 4 or 5 times less, it never cost me a penny other than servicing, although not quite as comphy as the S40 its performance was just a tad short, fuel consumption better & more to the point I had confidence it would start every time & not keep coming up with stupid little faults on a regular basis, winge over for today ... I still love driving the Volvo, I just dont know how long I can afford to keep it !
Gapples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 15:18   #5
faffi
Motorcyclist

Having troubles or not with a car is often down to (bad) luck. Some cars seems to pile on with costly repairs, others just run and run. Statistically, your MG would be a lot more troublesome than your Volvo, but on the individual car level it can - as you have observed - be the total opposite.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 12:03   #6
usa2003husky

Default Help...

Hi Chaps,

I have been having this problem for a while now to the point where it has just started to always refuse to start on a morning. I have a 2005 V50 Sport, extremely high mileage due to my job but well look after. Apart from the non starting issue the car runs like a dream. I checked the throttle flap for sticking and it seemed fine. Just to make sure I decided to take off the throttle housing clean it and chamfer the flap edges as suggested in the previous posts and still the same problem, not starting. I checked the fuel lines next and i could see air bubbles so thought it was losing pressure on a night when it was stood still causing it to not start in the morning - just turns over and doesn't fire. I took it into the garage, they changed fuel filter and added in a primer pump to clear the air and maintain pressure - guess what still same problem. Only seems to do it after being left for long ish periods. For example i had to jump start it this morning and it wouldn't start and battery died from trying, got 30 secnds round the corner to the garage as needed fuel, filled up, jumped back in and started withing two turns. HELP.....Any suggestions????
usa2003husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 14:09   #7
sdraper90

I've had the same problem, however this seems to work

Switch the ignition to position 2
Switch off radio, heater, heated seats
Wait for seatbelt noise to stop ~ 30 seconds
Then start

Worked every time for me, the engine seems to need as much power as it can get to start

Hope that helps
sdraper90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 15:47   #8
Volvoman61

Default V50 not starting

I have been having the same problems.

V50
Mileage:182,200

Car wont start first time, I used to clean the throttle body which helped for a while but now the problem still persists. Also, as I attempt to start the car, several times it kills the energy of the battery till it is flst. I then need a jump start -with an additional portable power lead on the battery which works perfect to start the car.

I am considering replacing the glow plugs. I took it to Volvo and the head technician suggested replacing the EGR valve.

Anyone found a solution to this problem yet?
Volvoman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 17:01   #9
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoman61 View Post
Also, as I attempt to start the car, several times it kills the energy of the battery till it is flst. I then need a jump start -with an additional portable power lead on the battery which works perfect to start the car.

I am considering replacing the glow plugs. I took it to Volvo and the head technician suggested replacing the EGR valve.
I would get your battery checked, as hooking up another seems to start it up without problems
Glow plugs rarely cause a problem, especially this time of year, but the relay can be trouble.
EGR valve I seriously doubt is the problem.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 17:42   #10
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoman61 View Post
I have been having the same problems.

V50
Mileage:182,200

Car wont start first time, I used to clean the throttle body which helped for a while but now the problem still persists. Also, as I attempt to start the car, several times it kills the energy of the battery till it is flst. I then need a jump start -with an additional portable power lead on the battery which works perfect to start the car.

Anyone found a solution to this problem yet?
Quickest way to decide whether it's the EGR valve, buy a blanking plate off eBay. The plate will cost you a few quid but it will confirm the diagnosis without splashing out on an EGR valve. I was having an intermittent starting by problem until I fitted the plate, now it starts every time

TT