Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brighten your headlamps, for free!

Views : 19049

Replies : 93

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 08:54   #41
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post

Did my Bi-Xenon headlamps yesterday, there is a marked difference in light output it has to be said, very worthwhile.
The plug on the ballast with the red/black/green wires cleverly unplugs itself as you rotate the ballast to remove it.
All I would add is that if you are doing this in the colder weather & you're bringing the headlamps into a heated space such as your home, it would be a good idea, if you have time, to let them reach the same temperature as that space overnight. Otherwise when you open the lamps up you will get condensation forming on the inside surfaces & you'll then suffer misting inside your lamps when they're back on the car.
I dried mine out with a hair dryer before putting back in my car to make sure this didn't happen.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 19:56   #42
phil1968
Master Member

As a side note I did notice a sort of apparatus controlled by a solenoid on the side of the projector unit that controls, via a set of levers & a mechanism, a sort of half-moon shaped metal gate that I'm guessing normally covers half the aperture on dipped beam & lifts to reveal the full aperture on main beam. I'd assumed that it was just the inner lights that took care of main beam but it appears all 4 lamps are on main beam; you learn something new every day. Seems a bit Heath Robinson, but obviously does the job satisfactorily

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 14:33   #43
Bin The L Plates

I've a 2010 C30 D2 SE Lux with Active Bending Headlights and I've tried to do this 'clean up' but it's proving impossible,
I can undo the 3 screw and loosen the bulb housing but it is proving impossible to remove.
The inside of the headlight looks different to the photos that others have posted and possibly its due to all the mechanics of the bending mechanism.
The particular problem is a plastic bar that blocks the reflector unit from clearing the headlight, and no matter how a manoeuvre it around it still catches and I'm unable to wiggle it free.
Anybody got any clues ..........
Bin The L Plates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 16:16   #44
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin The L Plates View Post
I've a 2010 C30 D2 SE Lux with Active Bending Headlights and I've tried to do this 'clean up' but it's proving impossible,
I can undo the 3 screw and loosen the bulb housing but it is proving impossible to remove.
The inside of the headlight looks different to the photos that others have posted and possibly its due to all the mechanics of the bending mechanism.
The particular problem is a plastic bar that blocks the reflector unit from clearing the headlight, and no matter how a manoeuvre it around it still catches and I'm unable to wiggle it free.
Anybody got any clues ..........
Could you take it apart from the other side instead? By removing the clips.

Old Mar 8th, 2016, 18:26   #45
Bin The L Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Could you take it apart from the other side instead? By removing the clips.
Didn't know that was possible, I'd assumed it was all sealed up.
Be interested to hear I if can do it that way.
Bin The L Plates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 08:37   #46
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin The L Plates View Post
Didn't know that was possible, I'd assumed it was all sealed up.
Be interested to hear I if can do it that way.
It is possible, you can use a hair dryer on the seals (or put it in the oven on a low temperature) to loosen it and it can come apart. There's some articles about it somewhere which you might be able to search through.

Old Jun 10th, 2016, 07:20   #47
mdon
VOC Member

My not has an advisory for poor headlight output, I'll try doing this today and see how I get on.
mdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 11:23   #48
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdon View Post
My not has an advisory for poor headlight output, I'll try doing this today and see how I get on.
What bulbs are you running? I'm running some dirt cheap (but bright) H7's but they're unreliable and when they're on their way out their output drops considerably in the few days prior to blow out.

Try cleaning as per the guide first, then try nightbreakers. And if they fail to fix it then it could be an elec issue but I'd have no idea where to start on that. Sure the lads here can offer some direction though. These have seen it all. Good luck.

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 16:13   #49
Trillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post

Did my Bi-Xenon headlamps yesterday, there is a marked difference in light output it has to be said, very worthwhile.
The plug on the ballast with the red/black/green wires cleverly unplugs itself as you rotate the ballast to remove it.
All I would add is that if you are doing this in the colder weather & you're bringing the headlamps into a heated space such as your home, it would be a good idea, if you have time, to let them reach the same temperature as that space overnight. Otherwise when you open the lamps up you will get condensation forming on the inside surfaces & you'll then suffer misting inside your lamps when they're back on the car.
That orange and black box on the back, is that what I would have if I had xenon's?
Trillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 08:42   #50
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
That orange and black box on the back, is that what I would have if I had xenon's?
Yes you would have the ballast if you have bi-xenons. There would also be a ballast if you have an aftermarket HID kit fitted.

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oneilldom For This Useful Post: