Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

320bhp N/A 5 cylinder engine

Views : 62690

Replies : 124

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 22:19   #101
Shemtek_Automotive
Trader

hi austin, have enjoy'd reading your thread and look forward to your updates.

can i ask you who did the crank for you?

also does anyone know if the 2l crank is a shorter throw than a t5? it looks it in the pic
Shemtek_Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 10:57   #102
volvogoteborg

Hello

Please excuse my naivety but I'm not sure of the benefit of the ceramic coating.

The risk in a open deck cast in iron liner engine is excessive temperature straining the liner and eventually cracking it. At 320bhp and NA, your peak temperatures will be lower than a turbo engine so you're probably on safe ground anyway.

The ceramic coating acts as an insulator so the thermal transfer is reduced through the liner into the surrounding coolant. The head will therefore have to transfer via the head. I can see that insulating the liner will reduce its max temperature overall thus beneficial re the cracking issue.

But that heat flow via the head may risk the head gasket.

I can see that a coating which increases the head flow from the cylinder would not be good as that would increase the part temperature of the liner as more head flows in and then bottlenecks.

Other ideas would be to increase the cooling rate like the S60R engine with a faster spinning water pump.

Maybe overall now I can see that ceramic coating protects the peak temp of the liner.
volvogoteborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 21:07   #103
T240
Pure is Beautiful

I would have thought the most obvious ways of reducing operating temp where poss are obviously by increasing your radiator capacity, adding an extra core is always a good idea, and fitting a high capacity fast flowing water pump.

Ceramic coating seems somewhat ott in this context, Austen

Cheers,

T
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 00:23   #104
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

My understanding is that we're talking about cooling within the block itself...transmission of heat *to* the coolant. That's something which only usually comes into play on modern engines when you're adding a *lot* of power.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 21:21   #105
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
My understanding is that we're talking about cooling within the block itself...transmission of heat *to* the coolant. That's something which only usually comes into play on modern engines when you're adding a *lot* of power.

cheers

James
But James, you ALWAYS get transmission of heat to the coolant, and the primary means of supressing extraneous heat is via improved rad, oil coolers, fans, water pumps, etc - that's what the cooling system is for in the first place - to carry heat from the block!

The addition of an extra core to a rad, at this level, and beyond is a far more cost effective way of cooling than ceramic coating, and far more reliable.

Cheers,

T
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 00:26   #106
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Yes, you'll always get transmission...but the rate of transmission can be varied...coolant passage size and 'depth', etc.

VG is concerned that ceramic coating the CC and exhaust ports may place an additional short-term thermal loan on the liners, which are known to be a weak point anyway. I suspect it won't cause a problem in an N/A application, but it's an interesting point.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 19:44   #107
T240
Pure is Beautiful

The primary object is to get the coolant circulating round the block's water jacket and rad and cooled as quickly as possible.

The easiest and most efficient means of doing that is by employing a high flow rate water pump, a large core ( surface area ) rad, and large, fast fans to draw the heat from the rad as quickly as possible. It also helps if you can vent the hot air to the atmosphere. i.e. ouside of the engine bay.

Were we talking of a 1,000 hp engine then the use of ceramics would be a sensible prospect; at 320 bhp, it's little more than very expensive window dressing.

Cheers,

T
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 02:00   #108
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Let's look at this from a different angle. A guy on Tbricks had a B23 block (notorious for uneven cylinder wall thickness) collapse on him, so he did a half fill on it, and badly scored a piston through localised overheating. The rad and pump were perfectly adequate, but the heat wasn't getting to the coolant. A problem along those lines (albeit that's a more extreme scenario) is what I think VG is concerned about.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:10   #109
austenw

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemtek_racing View Post
hi austin, have enjoy'd reading your thread and look forward to your updates.

can i ask you who did the crank for you?

also does anyone know if the 2l crank is a shorter throw than a t5? it looks it in the pic
2.0l crank is 77mm

2.3/2.4 crank is 90mm

2.5 crank is 92.5mm
austenw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austenw For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 07:14   #110
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Hi Austen

Just wonering when the engine will be up and running i know these things take time ?

A great project

Russ
RT Mechanics is offline   Reply With Quote