Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weak Headlights - Contact Volvo

Views : 61311

Replies : 293

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2018, 14:21   #251
Charlie86

Hello,

I am also new here. I bought an 05 S40 in December and the lighting is rubbish, I am amazed at Volvo as you associate them with safety, or did. I live in France so the headlights are set to the continental B setting. I am on the point of buying a new set of LHD headlights to see if there is any improvement? I do have an HID conversion kit available but am a tad put off by the earthing comments on the forum.

Thanks for any advise,

Charlie.
Charlie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 18:00   #252
theshadow27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie86 View Post
Hello,

I am also new here. I bought an 05 S40 in December and the lighting is rubbish, I am amazed at Volvo as you associate them with safety, or did. I live in France so the headlights are set to the continental B setting. I am on the point of buying a new set of LHD headlights to see if there is any improvement? I do have an HID conversion kit available but am a tad put off by the earthing comments on the forum.

Thanks for any advise,

Charlie.
New headlights won't really help, they were miserable from the factory.

Lots of misinformation on the boards, but the issues w/HID conversions (and solutions) explained here: https://www.skbowe.com/a/issues/

HIDs really help, but the best performance is with a compete projector swap (to D2S projectors). You can get a functioning re-base retrofit for about €200 (including SKBOWE), maybe €400 for projectors.
theshadow27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theshadow27 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 18:18   #253
niggly

Default LED Bulbs Option?

My 2011 C30 has Bi-Xenons and I have to say they are excellent.

My fun/waste money car is a 2005 MINI Cooper S. The wasting money is going well and it is a lot quicker and handles a lot better than when it left the factory in 2005. It has Xenon dips and Halogen mains. I'm old and "my eyes are dim, I cannot see". The lights were pathetic. So I've put Osram Nightbreakers in both. And had them set to the absolute max permissable height. Much better, but still not great.

Thought I'd share a recent thread posted on the MINI Forum I use. Guy seems to have found good Philips LED bulbs, very bright, that work perfectly with the Halogen reflectors and aren't an MOT issue:
Finally a workable LED option for halogen headlamps
http://www.mini2.com/forum/second-ge...ml#post4441151
Thought you folk struggling with your lights might find it interesting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niggly For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 12:08   #254
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggly View Post
Thought you folk struggling with your lights might find it interesting.
LED retrofitting is a bit tricky - really hard to find a decent replacement and as it has been discussed on this forum, 99% cases its a miss, especially on our cars and their optics. So far - I have seen only 1 proof of the decent LED implementation, so I still think its the inferior solution to HID retro, but with proper research and quality components - it LOOKS like it can actually work (judging just from photos and user's info).

LEDs in H4 reflectors hovewer - well.... :/
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 23:38   #255
niggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
LED retrofitting is a bit tricky - really hard to find a decent replacement and as it has been discussed on this forum, 99% cases its a miss, especially on our cars and their optics. So far - I have seen only 1 proof of the decent LED implementation, so I still think its the inferior solution to HID retro, but with proper research and quality components - it LOOKS like it can actually work (judging just from photos and user's info).

LEDs in H4 reflectors hovewer - well.... :/
I agree absolutely about the LED 'conversions' and I wouldn't touch them.

What I find interesting about these, which Ive never heard of before, is:
A) they are designed, made and marketed by Philips who are not Chinese and are totally reputable
B) the price - reckon a huge chunk of that is recouping the research, can't be reflective of the manufacturing cost
C) Philips say, quite clearly, that they have been specifically designed to work with the halogen reflectors.

And if you look at the fitting video in Matrick's post you can see it isn't simply a case of 'take out the halogen and plug in the LED jobby'. More to it than that.

I've PMed the guy and asked if I can have a look when I'm next passing. When I have I shall report back.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 10:11   #256
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggly View Post

And if you look at the fitting video in Matrick's post you can see it isn't simply a case of 'take out the halogen and plug in the LED jobby'. More to it than that.

I've PMed the guy and asked if I can have a look when I'm next passing. When I have I shall report back.
Hmm, I actually missed the links in that post (not really standing out for some reason). Vid looks good and close inspection on those LED bulbs - loos damn impressive, I admit. Far end of the "chinese ****" sold on amazon for 19.99. Installation though is straightforward - you just plug them in, no fiddling with reflector , position or anything - one way in, one way out, just a bit fiddling with extra cabling so that doesnt really affect beam pattern or anything.
But all in all - looks good, I admit. If Philips can sign itself under this product, well.... who am I to say otherwise.... being not "road legal" means nothing as its simply legal bull*** that must be put on box, main thing is - if it doesnt glare other users and produce decent pattern - its a win.
Defo interesting product, thanks for sharing. Not usable on our cars, but still
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 11:36   #257
phutyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Defo interesting product, thanks for sharing. Not usable on our cars, but still
There's also a H7 version:

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/p...ed-headlamp-h7

From Philips blurb:

Quote:
Designed for projector headlights.

Extra boost to reflector. The Philips X-tremeUltinon LED lights are designed specifically for complex projector headlights. At the same time they provide extra boost when used in reflector luminaires and hence serve you in a wide variety of car models, regardless of your luminaire.
https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/12985...headlight-bulb

Are they worth a shot in our cars?
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 12:40   #258
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle View Post

https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/12985...headlight-bulb

Are they worth a shot in our cars?
Well, see, thats where it goes to gray area with "unless someone tries it, it probably wont work". In general most LED retrofitting examples looked like this below:

so call me sceptical BUT, I also have seen a really good looking beam output from another user on SS forum so maybe those LEDs are getting better...

All in all - if you can get LED set with possibility of returning (like on AMazon) and you are adamant you dont want to go HID retro, trying those out may be worth it. Just make sure you do a nice writeup with pics
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 12:51   #259
HarjB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
I've had the same kit running in my car (HIDS4U 55W Stealth kit) for the best part of a year running whenever the car starts (done 15k since installed) and they've been absolutely fine.

Happy to remain as guinea pig but they seem fine to me
Same here running HIDS4U 55W Stealth kit for over 2 years now with 5000K bulbs.
HarjB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 23:57   #260
niggly

Think I will go for them in my MINI. Lot of money but can always send them back.

But I do remember seeing a slightly worrying proviso in the blurb somewhere - "in most cars". Looking at the pics of them, I'm assuming that relates to the way bulbs are fitted and accessed and how much room there is? Will have to go back through it. And I will ring Philips' techs to get it from the horses mouth.

The MINI guy in the link I posted is using the H4 versions. Mine takes the H7s ...... so not absolutely proven in my MINI.

Come on someone, give them a go in one of your Volvos with useless lights and post a thread.