Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weak Headlights - Contact Volvo

Views : 61260

Replies : 293

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 14:33   #271
Ceelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs312800 View Post
what lenght are the leds you have put in and do they make much difference have you heard any good things about the h7 leds and if there any good
many thanks biggs
Hi, I changed my h7 headlight bulbs for LEDs and had to use some inline resistors to stop the error message on the dash and it made a massive difference, the low beam was 10 times brighter, for a while they were excellent untill I took my car to a local garage and he notice the LED bulbs and said to take them out asap as they can damage the wiper blade motor, why? I'm not sure.
I took them out and found the resistors had melted the inside of the headlamp housing so all in all from my experience it was a mistake and one I won't be repeating.
And yes I'm still fighting with the dim lights.
Ceelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 21:06   #272
theshadow27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceelee View Post
Hi, I changed my h7 headlight bulbs for LEDs and had to use some inline resistors to stop the error message on the dash and it made a massive difference, the low beam was 10 times brighter, for a while they were excellent untill I took my car to a local garage and he notice the LED bulbs and said to take them out asap as they can damage the wiper blade motor, why? I'm not sure.
I took them out and found the resistors had melted the inside of the headlamp housing so all in all from my experience it was a mistake and one I won't be repeating.
And yes I'm still fighting with the dim lights.
The shop was confused between HID and LED... HID can damage the wiper motor, as explained here: https://www.skbowe.com/a/issues/ because of high-voltage ignition circuitry and a shared ground. LEDs do not use high voltage and are much less likely to cause that sort of damage.

But the beam pattern from LED in an H7 projector is the biggest issue... Not very nice for other drivers.
theshadow27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 22:35   #273
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Tbh, just buy some E46 projectors (detailed on this forum) and stick regular halogen bulbs in them.

It's all about the design of the projector lense and reflector that gives the good output, rather than the bulb it's self.

My girlfriend just bought a 2012 Volvo C30, and the halogen projectors on those are excellent, even by comparision with the Bi-Xenons on my S60, or the full LED headlamps on a brand new Volvo V40 that I tested.

Tis all about the headlamp design.
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 13:40   #274
Christerart
VOC Member

This has been an interesting read.

Every time I buy a "new" car, amongst the stuff I change and check right away, are headlight bulbs and alignment.

I spent a number of years as a trucker and owner of a trucking company in the US and I consider myself a decent guide of what's good or bad when it comes to headlights.

Every Volvo I've owned since I moved here nine years ago (two C70's, three V70's, one XC70) has had very good or great lights once aligned and especially after bulbs were changed to 110% or 130% H7's.

The headlights on the 2002 V70 D5 we've been using for our trips to Sweden two or three times/year has been rated as "amazing" by every one who's been it it at night.

The headlights do not blind oncoming traffic but the light is very, very good - I have no problem driving it a full night on backroads in Europe - of course that can also be because in general roads are much better over there than in the UK.

The XC70 facelift I just bought had poor light throw - all it needed was adjusting the lights to the top legal level (the high beam was very good so I didn't bother) and I expect once I change to 130% bulbs it will be as good as the V70.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 13:28   #275
poiuytre111

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Tbh, just buy some E46 projectors (detailed on this forum) and stick regular halogen bulbs in them.

It's all about the design of the projector lense and reflector that gives the good output, rather than the bulb it's self.

My girlfriend just bought a 2012 Volvo C30, and the halogen projectors on those are excellent, even by comparision with the Bi-Xenons on my S60, or the full LED headlamps on a brand new Volvo V40 that I tested.

Tis all about the headlamp design.
Just a note about the E46 swap - I bought some. The reflector part does indeed appear to be a perfect fit for my C70 headlight but at least some of the E46 projector units were designed for HID bulbs - the ones I bought were hid, and I have not yet found an easy way to fit halogen bulbs, which would be my preference.
poiuytre111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 19:52   #276
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post
Just a note about the E46 swap - I bought some. The reflector part does indeed appear to be a perfect fit for my C70 headlight but at least some of the E46 projector units were designed for HID bulbs - the ones I bought were hid, and I have not yet found an easy way to fit halogen bulbs, which would be my preference.
If you bought them from Retrofitlabs then I think (not 100% sure till I get them) that the 'H7' option is the one to buy if you want a direct Halogen replacement without the Bi-Xenon shutter gubbins...

Quite expensive for what they are, but can't find anywhere else that sells them.

https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/aharo...-design-1.html

THIS is what I'm hoping arrives!:

Last edited by T5R92011; Sep 10th, 2018 at 19:55.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 15:57   #277
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
If you bought them from Retrofitlabs then I think (not 100% sure till I get them) that the 'H7' option is the one to buy if you want a direct Halogen replacement without the Bi-Xenon shutter gubbins...

I had those prior to my current D2S version and I can confirm H7 option works perfectly with H7 bulb OR H7 HID burner, but it also has movable shutter. Even on H7 bulb fully opened shutter helps with high beam so no harm wiring it anyway.
Every original (Bosch) E46 projector you will find will have D2S socket as thats what it was designed for, atleast to my knowledge.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 17:14   #278
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
I had those prior to my current D2S version and I can confirm H7 option works perfectly with H7 bulb OR H7 HID burner, but it also has movable shutter. Even on H7 bulb fully opened shutter helps with high beam so no harm wiring it anyway.
Every original (Bosch) E46 projector you will find will have D2S socket as thats what it was designed for, atleast to my knowledge.
The H7's arrived today and are exactly as you describe here.

Out of interest, why did you switch to D2S from H7 for these units? Are they not identical in output? I purposesly orderd H7 units and a H7 HID kit so can switch back to Halogen on MOT day.

Noticed they have clear lenses (nice surprise) and the modern cutoff pattern (another nice surprise)

Last edited by T5R92011; Sep 13th, 2018 at 17:18.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 17:30   #279
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
The H7's arrived today and are exactly as you describe here.

Out of interest, why did you switch to D2S from H7 for these units? Are they not identical in output? I purposesly orderd H7 units and a H7 HID kit so can switch back to Halogen on MOT day.

Noticed they have clear lenses (nice surprise) and the modern cutoff pattern (another nice surprise)
My first mod was done on H7 version but I was not really happy that I could only use Chinese H7 burners. You are relying on light source that is a bit of a hybrid and although it worked OK, I just wanted to go step forward. Was able to sell my H7 and got D2S projectors so that allowed me to use genuine D2S bulbs (Osram Xenarc for example). Light output had changed as for intensity and uniformity, but you are right, actual light pattern didnt change THAT much. But as I also decided to change the headlamps (to black) and experiment with halos, I decided to go full on and simply created a 2nd set of headlamps
Have a read here, if you havent yet. Photostory of my 1st mod with H7 and then D2S one.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 14:20   #280
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Did you ever 'get used' to the blue haze from the new projector cut off? I believe this is because these units have clear lenses so the light along the shutter edge has zero defusion.

I would be tempted to pull the old frosted lense from the original unit and put it into the new one if that haze got a bit too much. They shoud be interchangable as both 3" diameter.

However, they might be a different shape so not sure what effect that would have on beam focus etc.

Last edited by T5R92011; Sep 14th, 2018 at 14:22.