Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which petrol is best?

Views : 1330

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2012, 21:12   #11
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hello, To ASt85, Marvel Mystery Oil is a penetrating oil of sorts. It is said to dissolve gunk from your intake system when added to fuel and do the same to your lubrication system when added to your crankcase oil. A few fellows on the oil board I read were extolling its virtues. They claimed it improved mileage and prevented stratification of alcohol in today's gasoline. I gave it a try. I must say I was doubtful. In my own defense; I found some at a moving sale for pennies. The best thing about MMO, as I see it, is the old time artwork on the can. It would make a great tee shirt. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 22:51   #12
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
I think if you stay away from cheap supermarket fuel and stick with a known brand ,premium or standard,you should be ok. Mine is diesel .

I got 31mpg with Morrisons (went there because I got the 15p off) and 35mpg with Excellium and 35mpg with Shell normal. Getting 4mpg less with supermarket fuel meant over a tank I got about 60 miles less which is about 2 gallons so about £13 more fuel used, which made my approximate £10 saving pointless!! The mpg figures I quote are based on the same mix of urban/motorway.

I may be wrong, but I have heard that Morissons diesel fuel is a higher percent bio diesel as well which Volvos do not like although this will not affect you as you are petrol.

Regards

Morissons does have a very high level of Bio diesel

I prefer to stay away from the stuff

But i like many, add a good shot of 2 stroke oil to a tank.This works well on most cars so i presume the Volvo also.
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 22:59   #13
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD View Post
Morissons does have a very high level of Bio diesel

I prefer to stay away from the stuff

But i like many, add a good shot of 2 stroke oil to a tank.This works well on most cars so i presume the Volvo also.
Thanks for that about bio diesel. I read that some Volvos were sensitive about the % bio diesel mix.

I wouldnt fancy putting 2 stroke oil in with my diesel though.I think Volvo recommend nothing should be added, although it is a new car so it may be ok for older ones?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 03:06   #14
ASt85
Premier Member

I usually use either Morrisson's garage as its close by or Tesco's. I must admit that I had completely forgotten about Volvrocks pointer/reminder about the branded fuel v supermarket comparisons.

THANKS and thanks to georgeandkira re MMO

Maybe it is worth using one of the brand names; the saving on increased mpg and cleaner burn, is probably be more worthwhile than savings made on fuel in the shorter term!

I used to put half a pint of paraffin into a full tank of petrol every so often to keep the injectors clean in Vauxhall Carltons I had in the 80's and 90's, but use cataclean & etc. every so often these days - I don't know if it really does make any difference, but the V70 seems to run more smoothly after treating, as did the 850.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 07:46   #15
LJD
I've Been Banned

I tried paraffin as well. Great on a Old Land cruiser, but that can run on nails !

Do a search about adding 2 stroke oil and see whats going on
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 18:25   #16
Grufflybear

I understand that over time if you mostly use the premium stuff it might help keep the engine in better condition and is preferable to using other kinds of aftermarket additive - I seem to remember "Honest John" column in the Telegraph saying it was a good idea for a car you own yourself and intend keeping. The theoretical benefit to fuel economy is about 3 to 4 % therefore very hard to notice the difference since most of us probably don't have perfect consistency in applying the right foot to the loud pedal. The extra power depends on the engine management anyway and the way it deals with ignition timing for any given fuel, and probably doesn't make any difference when the engine is working under normal moderate load. A quick "google" will bring so many contradictory opinions, some seem to have lodged in my brain, but I really doubt if any actually knows because the way cars are used varies so much that a true long term assessment is difficult. Most people seem to buy it (as do I ) purely because they have a slight impression that their car runs a little better and that is likely a psychological effect anyway. I seem to remember the best I ever found was some 100 octane stuff on a journey in Germany... now that really did make a difference ! And I will carry on buying the expensive stuff just because I fell for the marketing and think I am doing the right thing for the car :-)

Last edited by Grufflybear; Mar 30th, 2012 at 18:29.
Grufflybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 19:09   #17
RM955I
Premier Member

I previously ran a SAAB 95 Aero and it was advised to use "super" i.e. 97/8 RON. It would run perfectly well on 95 but the adaptive ECU would knock back the power (not that you could notice).

I have a mate who is a tanker driver - he tells me that the deliveries to the branded forecourts and the supermarkets all come straight from the same depot - make of that what you will.
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote