Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Trader's Offers & Discounts
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Trader's Offers & Discounts A forum for discussing special offers that are available to VOC or Forum members. Commercial organisations must first seek permission to post details of products.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Original Technical Publications

Views : 15503

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2013, 23:41   #51
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

in regards to copy protection not even sony , xbox and all !! ditital content makers they cannot even stop it from happening so what chance do they think they have ??

also i must read back at beging of thread to recap but i take it we need the software and then buy the manuals to use within there software so what advantages do they have over the pdf files already doing the rounds ?

from memory they have alot of detail contained within them for each models facts , figures etc will repost when i have recapped ....... at some point

will watch for anyupdates

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 00:20   #52
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Thanks for looking into this Chris.
For now I suppose we should be greatful for what information is available.

I've looked hard to find actual Volvo workshop manuals on the internet and have only found a few. I did find that paper copies are available in America at least according to the information on the website. I doubt it would be possible to buy any for the cost of the discs though.

Perhaps the more discs that are sold the more likely the company will continue trading in the future !
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 09:57   #53
Chris_C
Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800necwinner View Post
but i take it we need the software and then buy the manuals to use within there software so what advantages do they have over the pdf files already doing the rounds ?
From a lot of models points of view, the green books are not available like some other models. Chris, I've spoken to you personally but wish to thank you for putting the effort in to this, it really is appreciated.

I bought my OTP disc when they first came to the club and am sure I've had my £25worth from it. I also have a fairly complete set of 300 original green books and a fair set of service bulletins, they complement each other well. One thing with the OTP that annoys is the lack of service bulletins... try asking the OTP discs how to change a 300 series rear wheel bearing. The fact this is missing is a huge oversight, it's a job with a couple of hidden pitfalls (the procedure was moved between 2 green books, then removed and sent out as a service bulletin over a period of 5-7years. The latest books as published on the OTP disc assume you have the service bulletin, yet that isn't provided on the disc)

To add to that, I recently went slightly mad and bought the technical publication DVD set direct from Volvo Technical Information Services:
https://tis.volvocars.biz/tis/main.do
They are available for 200, 300AND400 on one disc, and 700 or a set of all three discs. These work out significantly more expensive than the clubs OTP discs but comparing (and I can only compare 300 series) they are a more complete set with some (by no means all) service bulletins too. They do work out at ~£50ea, + VAT, + Shipping however. PDFs are encrypted, you *have* to use the version of PDF viewer on the disc, which is acrobat 5.5. This works fine on my Win7 64 machine and doesn't "phone home" but again, I imagine one day there will be an operating system it will not work with.

Last edited by Chris_C; Apr 17th, 2013 at 10:00.
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_C For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2013, 21:00   #54
bob12
bob12

I recently bought a new computer and have singularly failed to re-activate my DVD.

Having bought the DVD at the outset of their introduction by VOC, I brought this question up in June 2012 in this thread, but have yet to find a clear and simple answer to the question.

I have sent an email to OTP (or whoever the link is/are) and I am waiting for a reply. Meantime, if anybody can help I will be grateful - Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 21:02   #55
bob12
bob12

Currently, the matter is progressing to my satisfaction ...!!!
Old May 28th, 2013, 00:28   #56
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I'm waiting for my computer to play up again. It switches itself off somethimes which messes up all of my passwords. So far the discs are still working.
I can't help feeling having the discs is a bit like owning a fast car thats only got 1st gear !
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:35   #57
Chris Wickers
Director

Default OTP Discs

I have emailed Bob and advised that if he contacts OTP they will allow him to re-install the disc, as he cannot remove it from the PC it is currently on.

As previously stated here I see both sides of the arguement.

Having purchased one myself I hate the Lock Lizard - it is a pain, and I would much rather it wasn't on it.

However without Lock Lizard there are 2 issues.

Firstly Ebay would be flooded with the discs at minimal cost and no revenue to the author.

Secondly if copyright could not be protected they would not have been produced. This statement came from not me, but the publisher. He had produced the same for another car marque, only to find them on the internet shortly afterwards, and therefore no revenue for his work.

So this begs the question - would I rather have the disc with Lock Lizard and be £25 poorer, or would I rather save my £25. For me I would rather have the disc. However this is clearly a personal choice.

I suppose the solution would be that no one should every breach copyright, then Lock Lizard would not be needed. (Somehow I think there is more chance of buying a lottery ticket each week for 6 months and everyone winning the jackpot!)

Kind regards

Chris
Chris Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Wickers For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2013, 21:24   #58
bob12
bob12

All I can add to this is that I have received a first class and immediate response to my connection problems from OTP and shall be re-registering tomorrow with, I hope, no problems
Old May 31st, 2013, 18:59   #59
pelem

HI I saw your post, and would like a tech manual . How do I contact the chap you mention?
pelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 13:50   #60
arcturus
arcturus

Hi, I have a problem with my copy as some of the files seem to have been deleted from my computer and I can no longer open it. Is there an email address where I can get info on a re install?