Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Trader's Offers & Discounts
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Trader's Offers & Discounts A forum for discussing special offers that are available to VOC or Forum members. Commercial organisations must first seek permission to post details of products.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Original Technical Publications

Views : 15508

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2012, 10:16   #41
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

intrested in

2. TP-51947 - Volvo PV444, PV544, P110 and Sport, PV445, P210 - 1944 to 1965
English, Swedish, German, French and Spanish content

whats the quailty like and are they availible still ??? cheers

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 11:05   #42
Dan J
VOC Member

Despite what is suggested in the support document for this (linked from the main/home screen of the OTP disk) you CANNOT just transfer the license to a new PC. You can rebuild an existing PC and it should re-install fine but if you replace the hard disk or buy a new PC and try to re-install it will say you have no more licenses available and will not work. Having spent some time digging around various LockLizard help websites it looks like your only option it to approach the "vendor" to assist as LockLizard themselves don't maintain licenses.

The disks/software doesn't exactly provide many options for support and hunting around it seems the only route available is the support@otpubs.com email address. I emailed over the weekend and am still waiting on a reply.

I value this software/information but this is another example of overzealous copy protection causing irritation. Hopefully it will be sorted soon - I will update when/if I get a reply.
Dan J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan J For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 18:13   #43
Dan J
VOC Member

Quick update. I got a reply back from support@otpubs.com with a new license within 24 hours and this has worked absolutely fine.

So to confirm - you will need to contact the support email address with an explanation if you get a new PC or replace your hard disk and they will send a replacement license.
Dan J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dan J For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 16:43   #44
Chris_C
Gopher

Which is great, until OTPublications go bust.

Seriously, do they really think there is an epic market for the copying of 1960/70/80/90's car manuals.

Copy protection of this level for this product is just ridiculous. On the other hand, we do now have good access to green books unlike before I suppose
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 17:58   #45
Chris Wickers
Director

Default Lock Lizard

It is a valid point being made - what happens if OTP go bust - cease trading etc.

It is something I will put to them, and will update with their response.

With regard to protecting the info, it is my understanding that the equivalent was done for another marque, and was then copied and sold on a very considerable scale.

Kind regards

Chris
Chris Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Wickers For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 21:03   #46
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

It would be great if something could be sorted out. I don't know how long I will keep my car but would be very annoyed if I lost access to the manuals I had already bought.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 00:44   #47
Chris Wickers
Director

Default Update

Have re-emailed Mark from OTPUBS with the queries.

Will post once I have his response.

Regards

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Wickers For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 18:15   #48
Chris Wickers
Director

Default OTP Publications

I am just waiting for one more response to my queries from Lock Lizard themselves. (I have written to them today)

Will post as soon as they come back to me.

Regards

Chris
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 14:37   #49
Chris Wickers
Director

Default Update

I have re-contacted Lock Lizard by email and post today - I have had no response as yet to my initial enquiry.

I will also contact OTP later on again today to see their response.

Kind regards

Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Wickers For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 15:48   #50
Chris Wickers
Director

Default Lock Lizard

I contacted Lock Lizard again, and they stated they had not received my first letter - which is possible.

In their defence they did respond to the second one with in 24 hours and to cut a long story short, they supply the software, but are not able to intervene should a business using their software cease trading - which I suppose makes sense.

I have also contacted OTP again but had no response - I am disappointed by this.

I do fully understand everyone's concerns, however from what I can see in today's economic climate there are always risks with businesses ceasing trading and this situation is not too dis-similar.

With regard to OTP ceasing the discs only become an issue if you have a hard drive failure/pc stolen.

With Lock Lizard ceasing trading then you have the issue of not being able to move it between machines.

I am aware what the responses will be to the above, and in a lot of ways fully understand and agree with them. However I can also see the other side, and without any copy protection then the discs would never have been produced as it would not have been viable as they would have been instantly pirated, as happened with the previous manufacturer that they were done for. If proof were needed just look at V*DA and V*DIS on Ebay.

So from my perspective - I have paid my £25 (same as everyone else) and can use the disc - if it ceases to work due to either business failing then I will curse and swear and no doubt be annoyed, but in fairness far less perhaps than with all the other situations where I spend money, and the losses would be far greater in the event of business failure.

Kind regards

Chris

PS will update as and when I get a response.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Wickers For This Useful Post: