Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking brake adjustment

Views : 1576

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2021, 08:04   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseriojca View Post
You're most probably correct, Clan, and the adjusters are not the 'ideal', or 'absolutely correct' solution to the problem.

But spending £7 and one hour resulting in a working parking brake always beats removing old cables, buying new genuine ones, running them under carpets, around seats, through the floor, under the car and only then maybe achieving the 'same' result - an MOT pass in this case.

Not trying to be cheap, but adjusters are the way to go for me. Of course, after new discs/shoes are fitted and everything else inside the wheel works fine.
The problem is the parking brake is faulty and when that last strand in the cable breaks your 2 ton car careers off down the hill and kills people or causes massive damage to other people's property . A time bomb waiting to explode .. and the worse thing is You knew about it all along and were skimping on your car maintenance so insurance wont cover you when the investigation is complete..
Your car has been trying to tell you something is wrong for a long time , you ignore it at your peril ...

This goes for an increasingly worrying number of people on here doing the same thing ...

Think about it ... ....... at least it has been documented and set in stone here now ...

Last edited by Clan; Sep 7th, 2021 at 08:07.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 17:22   #12
ltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The problem is the parking brake is faulty and when that last strand in the cable breaks your 2 ton car careers off down the hill and kills people or causes massive damage to other people's property . A time bomb waiting to explode .. and the worse thing is You knew about it all along and were skimping on your car maintenance so insurance wont cover you when the investigation is complete..
Your car has been trying to tell you something is wrong for a long time , you ignore it at your peril ...

This goes for an increasingly worrying number of people on here doing the same thing ...

Think about it ... ....... at least it has been documented and set in stone here now ...
What a load of nonsense. A brake adjuster on the shoes is not the reason for a cable to break. If it breaks its done but it wasn't down to an adjuster being fitted.
And doesn't mean you skipped on maintenance.
Adding an adjuster just makes sense like 99% of other vehicles.
Good luck to any inspector in court trying to prove that because an adjuster kit was fitted was that she wasn't maintained properly.
I see handbrake cables break all the time on brake testers. Even on well maintained cars expected to pass.
If the handbrake cable on an xc90 doesn't brake on its mot trying to scrape 16% with it pushed to the very limit then it won't break during normal use.
You are scare mongering.
Xc90s are now a fair age. How many people do you know of has been prosecuted for adding adjusters rendering a vehicle dangerous.

Last edited by ltec; Sep 7th, 2021 at 17:27.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 20:19   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
What a load of nonsense. A brake adjuster on the shoes is not the reason for a cable to break. If it breaks its done but it wasn't down to an adjuster being fitted.
And doesn't mean you skipped on maintenance.
Adding an adjuster just makes sense like 99% of other vehicles.
Good luck to any inspector in court trying to prove that because an adjuster kit was fitted was that she wasn't maintained properly.
I see handbrake cables break all the time on brake testers. Even on well maintained cars expected to pass.
If the handbrake cable on an xc90 doesn't brake on its mot trying to scrape 16% with it pushed to the very limit then it won't break during normal use.
You are scare mongering.
Xc90s are now a fair age. How many people do you know of has been prosecuted for adding adjusters rendering a vehicle dangerous.

But the cable about to break is your reason for bodging it with a non standard part rather than getting it repaired properly ... ..👍

Not having a go at you personally , its the widespread incorrect information spoken on Internet forums which is the problem.

Remember a XC90 parking brake is quite capable of holding on a hill on the 2nd or 3rd click when everything is standard and working properly .
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 21:15   #14
theseriojca

Clan, again, you are correct about the need to correctly maintain and replace parts as needed, it's just that the parking brake on the XC90 is, in my opinion, of a very poor design. The adjusters, to me, make more sense and improve on that design.

Regarding the cables snapping, it could happen at any time/to any cable/other components failing. I hope no one will be leaving the car in Neutral on a steep hill, and chances of the gearbox and handbrake failing at the same exact time are, well, minuscule.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 07:40   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseriojca View Post
Clan, again, you are correct about the need to correctly maintain and replace parts as needed, it's just that the parking brake on the XC90 is, in my opinion, of a very poor design. The adjusters, to me, make more sense and improve on that design.

Regarding the cables snapping, it could happen at any time/to any cable/other components failing. I hope no one will be leaving the car in Neutral on a steep hill, and chances of the gearbox and handbrake failing at the same exact time are, well, minuscule.
The parking brake design works fine when its repaired with volvo genuine parts and bedded in ... I have done 100's over the last 20 years .

When you run out of cable adjustment the car is telling you that either the shoes are worn out for some reason or the cables are stretched for some reason broken/rusty strands is usual .

Another point regarding the P position , Firstly the P position does not lock the wheels only the gearbox crown wheel , both wheels are still free to rotate in opposite directions , so on a steep hill with one wheel on wet leaves or ice which may form in the night the car can run away with one wheel rotating backwards on the leaves or ice , I have seen it
all before . , you are relying on just ONE tyre contact patch* to hold the car not two as per the Parking brake .

* = the tyre with the greatest grip on the road
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 21:39   #16
WinningWithFord

[QUOTE=Clan;2768796]The parking brake design works fine when its repaired with volvo genuine parts and bedded in ... I have done 100's over the last 20 years .

When you run out of cable adjustment the car is telling you that either the shoes are worn out for some reason or the cables are stretched for some reason broken/rusty strands is usual .

Another point regarding the P position , Firstly the P position does not lock the wheels only the gearbox crown wheel , both wheels are still free to rotate in opposite directions , so on a steep hill with one wheel on wet leaves or ice which may form in the night the car can run away with one wheel rotating backwards on the leaves or ice , I have seen it
all before . , you are relying on just ONE tyre contact patch* to hold the car not two as per the Parking brake .

* = the tyre with the greatest grip on the road[/QUOTE

You've done 100s of these over the last 20 years. It's a problem not seen with American and Japanese made products. I'm going thru this on my wife's 09 XC90, and whomever designed this system should not be in the automobile business. I've never had a problem with parking brakes in my life - until this machine.
WinningWithFord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinningWithFord For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 21:52   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=WinningWithFord;2798742]
Quote:
The parking brake design works fine when its repaired with volvo genuine parts and bedded in ... I have done 100's over the last 20 years .

You've done 100s of these over the last 20 years. It's a problem not seen with American and Japanese made products. I'm going thru this on my wife's 09 XC90, and whomever designed this system should not be in the automobile business. I've never had a problem with parking brakes in my life - until this machine.
All i can say is get it repaired properly with volvo parts and shoes bedded in and adjusted as a final job . should grip on the 2nd or 3rd click when all is good .
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 22:17   #18
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
It's a problem not seen with American and Japanese made products. I'm going thru this on my wife's 09 XC90, and whomever designed this system should not be in the automobile business. I've never had a problem with parking brakes in my life - until this machine.
In the interests of balance I owned 3 x XC90 in succession and never suffered a problem.

Conversely, my old Lexus RX300 had a similar foot activated system and that was troublesome, never stayed in adjustment and quickly ran out of reserve travel and ended up having new parts thrown at it. I'm led to believe that this model was made in Japan.
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 23:07   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=WinningWithFord;2798742]
Quote:

The prototype had a normal hand brake but the Americans where most were sold demanded that foot alternative ...
Old Jan 10th, 2022, 11:52   #20
LiamM

[QUOTE=Clan;2798779]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinningWithFord View Post

The prototype had a normal hand brake but the Americans where most were sold demanded that foot alternative ...
It’s a hideous thing, can’t think why anyone would want the foot break instead of the handbreak.

Ive got adjusters fitted, got me through the last mot by 2% …. I’ve an not next month and am expecting it to fail on the parking break. How do you bed the park break in?
LiamM is offline   Reply With Quote