Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V60 DAB+ interference fix

Views : 731

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2022, 18:24   #1
Spacejam

Default Volvo V60 DAB+ interference fix

I have a V60 MY2015 with DAB+, unfortunately the DAB+ is very sensitive for electrical interference. When I connect a phone charger or something the DAB+ reception drops often. It a appears to be a known issue within a V60 as there is only one antenna in de rear side window. I tried many 12V plugs and different cables but unfortunately no luck. Instead of trying different adapters and cables I want to fix the problem at the source, the DAB+ module and antenna. I already tried to power the DAB+ module via a separated battery as test. As the audio signal goes via the fiber optic cable the module was fully separated of the cars electric but the problem persists! That means that there is interference in the air, some magnetic field or something which is pickedup by the antenna.

Does anyone already dealt with this issue and has a prober solution for this?
Spacejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 07:35   #2
Easington
Master Member

I've had a few things plugged in including a coolbox in the boot and never suffered interference apart from when I fitted a dashcam to the rear window on an S60
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 10:35   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejam View Post
I have a V60 MY2015 with DAB+, unfortunately the DAB+ is very sensitive for electrical interference. When I connect a phone charger or something the DAB+ reception drops often. It a appears to be a known issue within a V60 as there is only one antenna in de rear side window. I tried many 12V plugs and different cables but unfortunately no luck. Instead of trying different adapters and cables I want to fix the problem at the source, the DAB+ module and antenna. I already tried to power the DAB+ module via a separated battery as test. As the audio signal goes via the fiber optic cable the module was fully separated of the cars electric but the problem persists! That means that there is interference in the air, some magnetic field or something which is pickedup by the antenna.

Does anyone already dealt with this issue and has a prober solution for this?
The dab aerial is in the roof fin together with the phone aerial I have changed one for this problem when someone re used the original housing seal for what ever reason and water had got in it.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 11:27   #4
Spacejam

Unfortunately the DAB+ aerial is not in the roof fin in the V60, I wish it was. Is is only connected to the rear right window.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 11:47   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Unfortunately the DAB+ aerial is not in the roof fin in the V60, I wish it was. Is is only connected to the rear right window.
The band 3 DAB antenna is in the rear right side window , that never gives trouble .
check the press stud connector above it just behind the edge of the roof lining.

The Band L DAB antenna is in the roof fin there are built in diagnostics for this you can read out signal strength with VIDA . However this wouldn't help with electrical noise . That is usually and earth fault or water in the roof fin.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 11:52   #6
Spacejam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The band 3 DAB antenna is in the rear right side window , that never gives trouble .
check the press stud connector above it just behind the edge of the roof lining.

The Band L DAB antenna is in the roof fin there are built in diagnostics for this you can read out signal strength with VIDA . However this wouldn't help with electrical noise . That is usually and earth fault or water in the roof fin.
The connection with de roof fin (L-Band) isn't there I fully checked the loom, only the band 3 antenna is there. It is a dutch car so I'm net entirely sure if it is the same as an UK version.

EDIT: DAB+ isn't broadcasted via the L-band in the netherlands so that is probably the reason that the antenna isn't there.

I will check the earth to be sure.

Last edited by Spacejam; Aug 16th, 2022 at 11:56.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 12:39   #7
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The dab aerial is in the roof fin together with the phone aerial I have changed one for this problem when someone re used the original housing seal for what ever reason and water had got in it.
Phone aerial? How can you use that then? Phones connect to car via bluetooth only and I thought only hardwired connections could utilise external aerials?
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 09:42   #8
Spacejam

I added an extra ground between de car and DAB module but it doesn't make a difference. It is still weird to me that the electrical interference is picked via the air I also have the same problem when the DAB module is on a separate battery.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 11:28   #9
Spacejam

Another update, I replace the full aerial for a third-party one, the problem stays exactly the same. so I isolated the dab+ module from the rest of electrics and used a whole new different antenna without a link with the car but the problem persists, can this be related with module itself or the software
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 11:56   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Another update, I replace the full aerial for a third-party one, the problem stays exactly the same. so I isolated the dab+ module from the rest of electrics and used a whole new different antenna without a link with the car but the problem persists, can this be related with module itself or the software
Have you been having your yearly software updates? I know the DAB has been included several times.