Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon starter motor wanted

Views : 1317

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2010, 19:55   #1
Faust
Master Member

Default Amazon starter motor wanted

Hi there,

After testing for all other possibilities, it seems the starter motor on my 133 has packed up. Anyone got a spare one they could sell me?

Many thanks,

Lia
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 20:50   #2
davidw6092

Default starter motor

Not often they pack up,have you tried running a wire direct from live lead on solonoid to the exciter terminal on the solonoid?(I often just use a screwdriver or small spanner)That bypasses all the other circuits,so is a definitive test for starters.I think i have a spare in the shed.I pass nottingham on a sunday evening so could drop it by if you need one.Dave
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 21:58   #3
Faust
Master Member

Not tried that - (my boyfriend knows cars, but not too hot on electrics). We'll give that a try tomorrow night!

The site won't let me send PMs (as despite being on the forums for 2 years, I've not amassed enough posts yet!), but if you could send me a message, I can probably reply to you.

Many thanks for the help and advice!

Lia x
Old May 4th, 2010, 22:36   #4
davidw6092

Default posts

I understand,I dont seem to be able to do replies either!however my mobile number is 07941 42185 if that helps.Cheers Dave
Old May 5th, 2010, 22:37   #5
Faust
Master Member

That's great, thank you! We didn't get chance to have a play with the solenoid this evening, but I'll try to have a tinker with it tomorrow.
Old May 5th, 2010, 23:49   #6
austingipsy

Solenoid or the ignition switch itself maybe but .Do you have the dash mounted ignition switch or the steering column one. I thought the starter was on the way out when i first bought my amazon but it was the wiring to the switch. I use a separate starter switch now since the ignition key was getting to look like a corkscrew as well.
austingipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 15:21   #7
Faust
Master Member

It's on the steering column.

Though I didn't realise at the time, the symptoms have been building for a while - when starting, it turned over very slowly, though it did catch. I assumed it was the battery, as I don't get to use the car every day. Then it stopped starting altogether - it still turns over in a very unenthusiastic manner, but doesn't catch. I've tested the battery which is fine, so I guessed that the starter motor had gone for a burton.

The sun is shining now, so I'll go out in a bit and have a look at the wiring!
Old May 6th, 2010, 18:33   #8
Alf ista
Premier Member

Just be aware that batteries can test fine until you put a load on them and they just cant provide the power, like trying to start a car for instance. Worth trying a good battery just to make sure.
Old May 6th, 2010, 22:52   #9
davidw6092

Default poor starting

Have a look at the earth strap between offside chassis leg and bellhousing bolt,that can cause similar problems to what you have described.cheers Dave
Old May 12th, 2010, 21:48   #10
Faust
Master Member

Many thanks all for your help!

Problem now diagnosed and luckily it's an easy fix - starter motor is OK and not needed.

(Embarrassingly, it was the battery that was utterly dead. I assumed it was OK as it's fairly new and one of the first things I did was charge the battery up. But it's not holding any charge at all and the Amazon started up cheerfully after a jump from my boyfriend's 2.9!)