Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cheap ETM replacement

Views : 42432

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2013, 23:17   #31
nomad biker
V70 T5 SE 2001

Default etm

Ive a 2001 v70 t5.There are no codes, but some days it goes like stink, some days it goes kinda fast.Do you think the etm would cause this?
Anybody got a picture of the old std unit without the new digital tps?
cheers Paul
nomad biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 22:01   #32
leesh00

Hi, do you have a unit for a 2000 v70 2.3 t5?

I have what looks like a brand new yellow label unit from a 2001 s80 2.4 auto, but car runs really rough with it in.
leesh00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 23:35   #33
lippy113

Hi i have a v70 T5 06/99 which they call a 2000 model 133K and i have 2 problems with it . It has a white label ETM and i get erratic idle between 700-1000 revs all the time but no stalling or warning lights and runs ok what is the best solution for this problem ? and also i have abs and stc amber light on any help would be appreciated......Ady..Wimborne.Dorset.
lippy113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 20:22   #34
karl123

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
hi guys

As some of u will know i have been on a mission to find a cheaper way of changing the ETM to the latter (yeloow sticker) item without having to pay £200+ for this well known fault.

Well today was the big day, i found a replacement ETM (yellow sticker) fitted it, job done in about an hour, then the moment of truth will this work or not?
Turned engine over cough, splutter, then to my relief it settled down took for a test drive all problems gone.

The only thing i will say is i used one off the same model as i have altho it was a 98 "S" reg as apposed to a 99 "T" reg, and also it was an auto mine is a manual. Once all finished i took the car for an extended test drive (200 miles approx) and it runs perfect now.

To sum up if you are thinking of doing the same make sure the replacement ETM comes off the same ENGINE model as yours, as far as i can tell you wont go far wrong.

Just one last thing the replacement only cost me £50, if anyone needs one mail me as i can get hold of a few more at this price, obviously postage is extra, im not looking to make any money out of this just cover the costs of the ETM and postage

any further questions either post here or mail me

cheers

simon
hi having same issues on my c seventy can you give me contact for etm thanks karl
karl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 20:24   #35
karl123

Default etm

hi having same issues with my c seventy would appreciate any help thanks karl
karl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 11:19   #36
britten_mark

Hi there

I'm an infrequent visitor to the forums but we have spoken once before. I tend to come on when there is a problem with the car, and it is pretty reliable, so haven't been back for years

One problem which has persisted on the car is cold weather starting, overfuelling and "shunting" for the first 30 seconds or so. I've eliminated the air mass meter thingy, and although I've never had any warning lights or codes I'm 95% sure the ETM would sort it. I could take it out and clean it, but it it's still running the old white one and thought it better to update it?

From reading your thread am I right in thinking that a 2nd hand unit from a similar 1995 T5 auto would work? Volvo make a big deal of "code flashing" it, but from your post it sounds like it's a model specific code rather than to a particular ECU right?

I've just rang Volvo and current price is about £220 for the ETM, and £50 fitting. Whilst expensive this sounds subsidised to me, like it must be more than £50 labour to fit one (I haven't been near a dealers in years God only knows what the hourly labour rate is).

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Mark
britten_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 19:30   #37
Bigfacedave

Is anyone able to pm death rider on my behalf? I'm in desperate need of a etm and can't pm him myself as I haven't got the 30+ posts! Thanks in advance!
Bigfacedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 14:48   #38
Gogo en Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
hi guys

As some of u will know i have been on a mission to find a cheaper way of changing the ETM to the latter (yeloow sticker) item without having to pay £200+ for this well known fault.

Well today was the big day, i found a replacement ETM (yellow sticker) fitted it, job done in about an hour, then the moment of truth will this work or not?
Turned engine over cough, splutter, then to my relief it settled down took for a test drive all problems gone.

The only thing i will say is i used one off the same model as i have altho it was a 98 "S" reg as apposed to a 99 "T" reg, and also it was an auto mine is a manual. Once all finished i took the car for an extended test drive (200 miles approx) and it runs perfect now.

To sum up if you are thinking of doing the same make sure the replacement ETM comes off the same ENGINE model as yours, as far as i can tell you wont go far wrong.

Just one last thing the replacement only cost me £50, if anyone needs one mail me as i can get hold of a few more at this price, obviously postage is extra, im not looking to make any money out of this just cover the costs of the ETM and postage

any further questions either post here or mail me

cheers

simon
Hi,

Do you still happen to source those yellow sticker ETMs?

I need one urgently for a v70 mkii 2000 T5 2.3.

Thanks
Gogo en Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2022, 12:34   #39
Prime1984

Default Etm annoyances

Deathrider

Any chance of a throttle body for a v70 classic w reg , 2.4 non turbo.

Thanks
Prime1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 23:43   #40
Alpine

what is different / better about the yellow sticker ones?