Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mobile wifi connection issues

Views : 1827

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2018, 15:16   #11
redsearich

Default Mobile phone WIFI hotspot auto connect

Rather than use a MIFI box just tether from you phone. There are loads of phone apps that will automatically turn on your mobile hotspot when you connect to the cars bluetooth and then it automatically disconnects with the cars bluetooth seamlessly.
redsearich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redsearich For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 17:17   #12
Goodshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsearich View Post
Rather than use a MIFI box just tether from you phone. There are loads of phone apps that will automatically turn on your mobile hotspot when you connect to the cars bluetooth and then it automatically disconnects with the cars bluetooth seamlessly.
Which is the best app for an iPhone 6 which does that?
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 15:37   #13
Twilight2017XC90

Question

I use my phone as a portable WiFi hotspot to connect to my Volvo (MY18). It didn't connect since last software update so I unpaired the portable Wifi to re-pair it as a new connection but strangely my Volvo doesn't show my phone's portable WiFi hotspot at all. It does however show my home WiFi (if Im home) but with an exclamation sign - assuming I use Virgin's fiber optic broadband so router is possibly covered by some security blanket (another question - how to configure Virgin Superhub 3 with Volvo car for WiFi?)

I have followed all the steps as per manual for portable WiFi but may have missed something and still can't see my phone as a portable WiFi. Will appreciate help on how to set up a phone as a portable WiFi and also how to set up Virgin Superhub 3 for Volvo. Thanks

Last edited by Twilight2017XC90; Jun 18th, 2018 at 15:50. Reason: wrong spelling
Twilight2017XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 14:33   #14
redsearich

Default Mobile phone WIFI hotspot auto connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodshot View Post
Which is the best app for an iPhone 6 which does that?
Unfortunately its been years since I have had an iPhone and knowing Apple you will need to jailbreak your phone to do it. If you are on android you can use a free app like:

CARSPOT WIFI
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.carspot.wifi

This will start the WIFI tethering and disconnect automatically.
redsearich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 09:03   #15
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I'm on a 2015MY XC60 but I was getting the same issue with my MiFi box, In the end I gave up on the MiFi box & just stuck the Sim from it into the cars USB slot in the glovebox.

Although I only get 3G (The tech in the Car is too old for 4G I guess) it works perfectly, the trade off in speed is made up for in having a reliable signal.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote