Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Breathers / flame trap...

Views : 12529

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2011, 11:29   #11
Mikeymo

Thanks, I might have a go. Though from reading about this it seems the pipes are more likely to be blocked than the actual separator.

By the way, I've read the Haynes details about removing the sump. Is it really that much of a palaver? I quite fancy dropping it to clean it and see how much crud there is in there. But not if it's as complex as Haynes says.
Mikeymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 15:04   #12
neilfitzgerald

Thumbs up

this was the first job i ever did when i got my car.
Ditto the above - you dont need to remove the manifold. Its a bit of a fiddle - I found an extender bar on my sockey spanner was a great help - especially to crack the nuts in the first place. And push the bonnet right back for a little extra room

Also its a good idea to clean round the breather box and the block with some engine degreaser so theres no chance of any crud falling into the sump while you've got the breather box off.
neilfitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 17:17   #13
RealEstate
Master Member

You could whip the manifold off, change the oil trap and get the injectors cleaned by Jimathan at the same time! That's what I did.
RealEstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 20:18   #14
Daisychainsaw

Talking

I back up all that has been said above.

In addition, I found doing the trap a pretty simple job with the manifold in place. I cleaned all the components down and also went through the pipes that feed into the manifold area - well worth it as they were bunged up like a babboon on a 70 a day banana habit. Take note of the Haynes where it states that you shouldn't drop the sealing ring into the crank! The Haynes isnt a bad manual for the 940 - if you want cr*p take a look at the Mitzi Pajero manual - hopeless if you want to to do anything apart from break your car!
Daisychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 23:04   #15
940Graeme
Premier Member

Thanks again all, I'll give it a go with the manifold in place first I think.....

I am sure the 940 Haynes has its uses, just not a good as the 740 or 340 one I think........half the thickness of the 340 one, so not even as good for swotting wasps......

I'll let you know how I get on over the weekend.....although the other half has got me putting in a TV Ariel extension, apparently we "have" to have a new tele and digi box in the bedroom, hey ho....
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 21:24   #16
tessie

Got oil seeping from the cambelt seal and also from the filler cap. From reading through this thread looks like the pcv stuff is bunged up? So will be having a go at removing the oil separator and pipes and try to clean out before resorting to buying new stuff.
In the event that new parts are required what is the best place to go for these (even if I'm lucky and it is only the separator seal and the oil filler seal that I end up needing)?
Cheers
Stuart
tessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 20:06   #17
tessie

Ok cleaned out all the wee pipes mentioned, but couldn't fathom out how to detach the black oil separator box - is it bolted on somewhere or is it a pull off effort?
tessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 22:47   #18
FossilFish
Thank fossils for fuel!

Smile

From fellow member Lamyewchoy!

My pics aren't clear here is original link, you can remove the breather box without removing the manifold.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=71672

Last edited by FossilFish; Apr 26th, 2013 at 22:54.
FossilFish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FossilFish For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 08:33   #19
lnparry

Thanks for reminding us of this FossilFish. What a stunning piece of work by Lamyewchoy - eat your heart out Haynes!
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 09:15   #20
FossilFish
Thank fossils for fuel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnparry View Post
Thanks for reminding us of this FossilFish. What a stunning piece of work by Lamyewchoy - eat your heart out Haynes!
LeeP
Hopefully it could be placed in the articles section for others. VOC 'search' is a wonderful thing.

I think we can get away with removing box without disturbing the manifold just need a new o ring.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Have a fire extinguisher to hand!

Last edited by FossilFish; Apr 27th, 2013 at 09:19.
FossilFish is offline   Reply With Quote