Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition Module and other thoughts

Views : 1820

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2018, 14:51   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Definitely in need of a clean! Looking at the stubs where the hoses snapped, you should have enough to refit them - however if the hoses are as hard, perished and cracked as those look, you'd be best off renewing them complete!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 16:13   #22
James_N
VOC Member

Thanks Dave, yeah they don't look or feel in great shape so I'll probably replace.

I've fitted the ICV and throttle body back in all fine (haven't clamped down those two hoses, just pushed them back on for now). Reconnected battery and fired it up. Its still slightly slightly lumpy but I'm putting that down to the missing manifold gaskets but idle has certainly improved at just under 2000rpm now!!?!!

I'm assuming now it needs to be driven so the car can readjust?

Not happening for now though its its not moted taxed or insured at the moment and I still have a coolant leak to fix (my own fault for not tightening the hose nearest the coolant tank properly and the top rad hose has a leak which has started to rust the block slightly so need to sort that), and also needs tyres and brakes but that I can deal with as its wear and tear but I've needed to get to the bottom of these running issues for about a year now!

Part of me has even toyed with the idea of selling it for a 2cv as I've always wanted to own one again but now I've started working on it again, I'm still quite attached!!

But I guess for now my question is will the computer relearn eventually when I get it back on the road, as I'm not sure I want an idle speed of 2000rpm!

Thanks
James
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 17:36   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If you haven't tightened those hoses they will in effect be an air leak into the inlet so will bring the idle up a bit. You might also need to get it warm (check the coolant level first) so the various sensors "know" the engine is warm and the ECU can adjust properly.

Thing is there are several little problems there, sometimes you only need one of them to get a high or low idle but with more than one, it could make it extra high or extra low so it's difficult to say for certain.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 18:52   #24
James_N
VOC Member

Could I use cable ties to secure the two intake pipes to the throttle body? Is the acceptable?

Thanks Dave

James
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 19:38   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
Could I use cable ties to secure the two intake pipes to the throttle body? Is the acceptable?

Thanks Dave

James
How were the hoses originally secured James?

Old Jun 18th, 2018, 21:43   #26
James_N
VOC Member

Very small metal clips. The were very rusty and not really much cop. I suspect cable ties will do the job Much better
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 21:54   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If the rubber hoses are soft enough and you can get the cable ties tight enough, then yes, they probably would.

Old Jun 18th, 2018, 21:58   #28
James_N
VOC Member

I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'd say a lot of hoses in the engine bay could do with being replaced but new ones seem thin on the ground and expensive. Do88 look the dogs but are extortion!
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 22:06   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A lot of the rubber hoses can be replaced with standard rubber hose from an auto factors, you would need to get the right sort, vacuum hose for vacuum, fuel hose for fuel etc but unless the hoses are specially moulded into a shape such as some heater hoses, top hoses etc then hose "off the roll" will do most of it. They should be able to sell you some proper metal clips as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 22:22   #30
James_N
VOC Member

Its something I need to look at when its. back on the road for sure.

I'll secure the hoses to the throttle body tomorrow and see if that fixes my high idle. If not, what else should I be checking?

Thanks Dave