Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removing rear bumper/towbar fitting video

Views : 912

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2018, 09:23   #1
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Default Removing rear bumper/towbar fitting video

This video may be of interest to anyone who may need to remove the rear bumper to fit a towbar or access to reverse sensors etc from your XC90, I would think other spa models are the same.

https://youtu.be/CyOgGMaB7ZU
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 16:40   #2
gaby
Premier Member

Very interesting!
The original beam is not replaced as is the case with the Volvo OEM towbar
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 23:19   #3
Quacker
Premier Member

Nice hitch apart from it being for the USA. Europe doesn’t use ‘reciever’ hitches of that type, thank goodness. Our hitches have to be CE plated and are usually more discreet and quiet than that box section plug-in type, and less prone to wear and slop.

It may be that fixed ball hitches with the rear energy-absorbing structure being left in place, as seen in the video, will become available in Europe.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 16:04   #4
drmanny3

Default Draw-Tite Hitch

I used this video as my basis on our 2017 XC90 T8 Draw-Tite hitch. I decided to go with the hitch that is used with the XC60. Apparently, they both fit the 2017 XC90 The hitch meant for the XC60 does not require bolting to the underside of the frame. Therefore you do not need to pull the heat shield nor lower the exhaust. They are still rated at the same weight of tongue and trailer weight. Where I had a bit of difficulty was putting the lower rear facia back on exactly as it was prior to removal. Isn't that always the case..... Anyway after several attempts I got it back together. I am really happy with the hitch. It will allow us to carry our bike rack and the occasional tow of a trailer. Price of hitch in US was below $135 delivered. The electrical connection (4 connector) was an additional $50. It was easy to install. I am pretty happy with the outcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1834.jpg (252.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1835.jpg (341.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1837.jpg (114.5 KB, 19 views)
drmanny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 16:36   #5
ragge1

personally I like better the volvo original foldable towbar , its hiden when not in use and just with the press of a button you got it out and ready for use , its not everyday you use it but a must to have , had mine fited by delivery
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 22:30   #6
Quacker
Premier Member

Different geographical regions and continents have different tow hitch design requirements. In the USA I believe those box section, pin-attached-drawbar 'receiver' hitches are pretty well universal.

I do have a question about the European standard fold-away ball hitch though and that is, where is the anchor point for the brake safety cable and/or chain? I do not have a hitch on the Volvo but an anchor, separate from the ball and its stalk, is compulsory. I have not noticed such an anchor point easily accessible on the car as of yet.

As I said, the stalk on which the ball is an integral part is not legally allowed as I understand it from previous experience with VOSA and extensive use of trailers behind other vehicles. My Ranger, for instance, has one anchor point each side, in the form of U-shackles directly attached to the main crossmember. My current Honda with a Westfalia removable hitch has easily accessible slots in the main frame as well. Volvo though seems to have a very long distance back from the frame to the ball end with rotating parts.

I am prepared to be surprised, because I know that the Volvo hitch must, by law, have similar provision.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 23:55   #7
ragge1

here is mine , the pics have kind of rotated 90 degress , wonder why ( tried to upload the pics directly but got invalid massage )

button :

hiden :

towbar and you can see the anchor point for the brake safety cable :

Last edited by ragge1; Jun 22nd, 2018 at 23:58.
ragge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 23:58   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Different geographical regions and continents have different tow hitch design requirements. In the USA I believe those box section, pin-attached-drawbar 'receiver' hitches are pretty well universal.

I do have a question about the European standard fold-away ball hitch though and that is, where is the anchor point for the brake safety cable and/or chain? I do not have a hitch on the Volvo but an anchor, separate from the ball and its stalk, is compulsory. I have not noticed such an anchor point easily accessible on the car as of yet.

As I said, the stalk on which the ball is an integral part is not legally allowed as I understand it from previous experience with VOSA and extensive use of trailers behind other vehicles. My Ranger, for instance, has one anchor point each side, in the form of U-shackles directly attached to the main crossmember. My current Honda with a Westfalia removable hitch has easily accessible slots in the main frame as well. Volvo though seems to have a very long distance back from the frame to the ball end with rotating parts.

I am prepared to be surprised, because I know that the Volvo hitch must, by law, have similar provision.
There is an eyelet below towball to hook on the breakaway cable
bf.jpg
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 00:20   #9
Quacker
Premier Member

It has been my understanding that VOSA do not, or did not accept a line attached to the tow ball stalk. Perhaps i’ve Misinterpreted that or perhaps they have now no option other than to accept it if the hitch is CE plated, as it must be if sold in Europe?
Imagine if that ball and stalk fell off due to fatigue failure or hardware coming loose at the swivel. That kind of scenario is why most hitches up until now have the safety breakaway cable anchor on another part of the main hitch frame.