Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrical problem 940

Views : 15106

Replies : 314

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2020, 12:33   #161
Ammorack

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I wish you'd put these results up when i first asked you to try it without the TPS connected!

It would have saved a lot of head-scratching and an incorrect conclusion (re the ECU) which could have cost you a lot of money to find out was incorrect!

It would also have saved you having to take the dizzy cap off to check the carbon brush!

If you remember, very early in the thread, Ash got upset with you and so did i because we had each asked you to perform checks that you didn't do and didn't report on correctly. I at least thought you had learned to perform the checks, exactly as they were asked and then give the results.

You're lucky that you've put the correct results up and not spent money on a new ECU that wouldn't have been necessary!

Right, back to the TPS, it's obviously way out of adjustment. Can you put up a photo of it so we can check that no numpty has fitted it upside down?

Then i'll explain how to adjust it correctly. DO NOTHING ELSE - JUST TAKE THE PHOTO!!!!!
I understand that i failed to communicate throughout this thread, I’m sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0F9E766C-223E-462B-9157-12D5BF14A022.jpg (93.9 KB, 35 views)
Ammorack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammorack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 12:37   #162
Ammorack

Another picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1BB4F12F-6280-48CA-93BC-260A593B5AFF.jpg (80.3 KB, 34 views)
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 13:16   #163
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorack View Post
Another picture

The TPS isn't even visible in this one! That's a nice picture of the throttle drum though!

Quote:
I understand that i failed to communicate throughout this thread, I’m sorry.

It's only just visible in this one! However it appears to be fitted correctly. It's held on by two screws, usually they're 3 or 4mm Allen key screws.

Work out which way the throttle spindle (NOT the throttle drum) turns as you open the throttle. Loosen the screws on the TPS and turn it the opposite direction. With the throttle closed, turn the TPS back SLOWLY until you hear a click. TIghten the adjustment screws in this positon.
Once tight, open the throttle slightly and you should hear a click and another as you release the throttle.

The TPS is now adjusted.

HOWEVER!!!!! There should be a separate screw (sometimes made of plastic with a knurled edge or a slot for an 8mm Allen key) on the throttle body (probably underneath as i can't see it) that will need screwing in until the hot idle is about 700rpm. It may need further adjustment, i'm only getting you somewhere near now so we can test the rest.

With luck, doing this will get the engine running as it should, if not,we'll have to make up some jumper wires (not the sort you use to jump start a car, just small ones) so we can isolate which part of the TPS is faulty.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 14:00   #164
Ammorack

Quote:

The TPS isn't even visible in this one! That's a nice picture of the throttle drum though!

It's only just visible in this one! However it appears to be fitted correctly. It's held on by two screws, usually they're 3 or 4mm Allen key screws.

Work out which way the throttle spindle (NOT the throttle drum) turns as you open the throttle. Loosen the screws on the TPS and turn it the opposite direction. With the throttle closed, turn the TPS back SLOWLY until you hear a click. TIghten the adjustment screws in this positon.
Once tight, open the throttle slightly and you should hear a click and another as you release the throttle.

The TPS is now adjusted.

HOWEVER!!!!! There should be a separate screw (sometimes made of plastic with a knurled edge or a slot for an 8mm Allen key) on the throttle body (probably underneath as i can't see it) that will need screwing in until the hot idle is about 700rpm. It may need further adjustment, i'm only getting you somewhere near now so we can test the rest.

With luck, doing this will get the engine running as it should, if not,we'll have to make up some jumper wires (not the sort you use to jump start a car, just small ones) so we can isolate which part of the TPS is faulty.

I have adjusted it now, it’s still idling bad, click is heard when throttle is slightly open. But the 0,15mm feeler gauge between adjustment screw and throttle. Is there no click heard now.

And the little screw underneath the throttle is very rusty and won’t turn.
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 14:19   #165
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I have adjusted it now, it’s still idling bad, click is heard when throttle is slightly open. But the 0,15mm feeler gauge between adjustment screw and throttle. Is there no click heard now.

And the little screw underneath the throttle is very rusty and won’t turn.
DOn't worry about that, it sounds as if you have adjusted the TPS.

Now unplug and look under the throttle body for a plastic screw, you can just see the one on mine :

It's underneath the throttle body, you can see the knurled/milled edge and if you look really closely, you can just about see the hole for the Allen key.

That said, before you do, make three short lengths of wire to fit in the socket of the plug that goes on the TPS and link them pin-for-pin to the TPS. Start it up and disconnect the red/white one, the idle should improve.

Report back with whatever happens!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Apr 5th, 2020 at 14:22.
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 14:21   #166
Ammorack

Quote:
DOn't worry about that, it sounds as if you have adjusted the TPS.

Now unplug and look under the throttle body for a plastic screw, you can just see the one on mine :

It's underneath the throttle body, you can see the knurled/milled edge and if you look really closely, you can just about see the hole for the Allen key.
I do not have such thing on my throttle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3BF41DD5-668B-431C-A3BD-081A39518C37.jpg (144.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 6C4DAA25-CC16-45BA-97C8-32BF2C3CE66F.jpg (104.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 8DD20DB7-0416-455E-A5BB-7B4769BE4478.jpg (131.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Ammorack; Apr 5th, 2020 at 14:23.
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 14:27   #167
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I do not have such thing on my throttle
In that case, you need to clean out your AICV and refit the throttle body properly. THen do the tests with the wires that i just advised - NOTHING ELSE!!!!!! I repeat - NOTHING ELSE!!!!!

Then report back.

Old Apr 5th, 2020, 14:48   #168
Ammorack

Quote:
In that case, you need to clean out your AICV and refit the throttle body properly. THen do the tests with the wires that i just advised - NOTHING ELSE!!!!!! I repeat - NOTHING ELSE!!!!!

Then report back.
Okay, I made three leads on tps to tps socket. Started the car and let it idle, still bad idling. Disconnected red/white wire and still nothing. Still bad idle

Cleaned IAC still bad idle

Driving without tps plugged in. Smooth my idle out and goes to 2000rpm 20%-+
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 14:54   #169
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Okay, I made three leads on tps to tps socket. Started the car and let it idle, still bad idling. Disconnected red/white wire and still nothing. Still bad idle

Cleaned IAC still bad idle

Driving without tps plugged in. Smooth my idle out and goes to 2000rpm 20%-+
With the red/white disconnected, will it rev above 3000rpm?

Old Apr 5th, 2020, 14:57   #170
Ammorack

Quote:
With the red/white disconnected, will it rev above 3000rpm?
Yes it does. But it’s constant 2000rpm idling

Last edited by Ammorack; Apr 5th, 2020 at 15:05.

Tags
electricity, issues