Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My poor XC90 and its run in with a bus

Views : 4505

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2017, 20:01   #11
XC60Owner

bad news but glad you are ok
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 20:30   #12
Quacker
Premier Member

That's bad luck but it could have been much worse. Not too much damage by the look of it.

Did the Rear Collision Mitigation System work? Did the seatbelts pre-tension just before the impact. Did VOC automatically call the emergency services?
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 20:47   #13
Torkrigare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
That's bad luck but it could have been much worse. Not too much damage by the look of it.

Did the Rear Collision Mitigation System work? Did the seatbelts pre-tension just before the impact. Did VOC automatically call the emergency services?
It all happened so quickly! I don't recall feeling any tensioning of he seat belts and VoC didn't kick in automatically. I toyed with callling them from the car but in the end I was more concerned at getting out of everyone's way. I close to home and managed to drive, gingerly, back to the house.

I'm hoping it all points to the damage being largely superficial - a new tail gate, bumper etc, but no discernible damage to the chassis. Fingers crossed...
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 22:41   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkrigare View Post
It all happened so quickly! I don't recall feeling any tensioning of he seat belts and VoC didn't kick in automatically. I toyed with callling them from the car but in the end I was more concerned at getting out of everyone's way. I close to home and managed to drive, gingerly, back to the house.

I'm hoping it all points to the damage being largely superficial - a new tail gate, bumper etc, but no discernible damage to the chassis. Fingers crossed...
Make sure they check the WHIPS mechanism in the seat backrest hinge , they collapse with a large enough force to protect you from Whiplash .

I saw a parked up 2003 V70 on the side of the road hit by a bus over running it's stop about 10 years ago , it pushed the V70 about 2 car lengths down the road , no damage apart from a superficial scuff on the bumper cover ... Can't say the xc90 will be stronger ! But i hope equally so .
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 10:45   #15
Torshen

Obviously we've got no way of knowing if it kicked in, but I'm sure I remember reading in the manual that XC90's flash their brake lights repeatedly and quickly if they detect a vehicle is coming towards the back of you too fast.

If that's true, and if that system activated in your case the bus driver must have been really ignoring the road in front of him to miss it.

I guess it's possible it only works at higher speeds, and if a vehicle is approaching you at, say, 5-10mph maybe that's not sufficient to trigger it.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 12:23   #16
soupytwister
Master Member

The rear activation thing is only available if you have BLIS i think I'm right in saying? In which case i don't have it but Torkigare does
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soupytwister For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 13:31   #17
Torkrigare

As promised, the accident management firm came along today and swapped my car for a temporary replacement. Sad to see mine loaded up onto a trailer, but pleased with the 2015 (I'm guessing) XC90 momentum D5 in silver I've been left with. I'm relieved a little that the temp. replacement is a lower spec than my own car as I might find myself wanting to keep it instead of getting my own back. No 360' camera, HUD or BLIS; seats not as nice and no Polestar obviously. But these are very minor inconveniences to what is otherwise a fine car and overall so far the situation has been handled extremely well by Volvo Insurance and those operating on their behalf.

I hope to hear from the repairers in a couple of days time. The chap who swapped the cars over this morning did the typical sharp intake of breath through pursed lips thing, but his immediate eye-ball assessment is that it should be a simple repair job. The approved body work repairer it's going to got a glowing review from the chap too (who doesn't work for them so I assume isn't biased). Says they deal with a lot of high-end marques, and even race Ferraris themselves, so hopefully it'll get a suitable level of care and attention. Missing the big blue whale already, though.

The local Volvo dealership in Edinburgh from where I bought my car also called me this morning having received word of the accident from Volvo head office. A courtesy call to check I was OK and to offer any assistance they can to see me back in my car asap. Nice touch, and another gold star earned there...
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 13:54   #18
BTXC90

Quote:
In the context of all the awful things happening in London and elsewhere, I know this pales into insignificance. However, my lovely new XC90 came off worst in a run-in with a double-decker bus this morning.

I was stationary at the head of the traffic waiting to enter a busy roundabout near home when a double-decker bus ran straight into the back of me - eyes on the traffic coming from the right instead of on me waiting in front of him.

The tail gate is a total mess, and the rear bumper is damaged too. Fingers crossed that's the full extent of the damage and there's nothing serious beyond that - the chassis for instance. Then it's a matter of how long to get the parts from Volvo.

Volvo Insurance and their claims handlers have been very good so far. The car's due to be picked up tomorrow morning and a replacement XC90 left with me while mine's being fixed by the local body work repairers authorised by Volvo.

I should get a clearer picture in a couple of days time as to the true extent of the damage and timescales for repair. The repairer has already called me and said that 2-3 weeks to repair is not out of the question but they're yet to have the car to make a full assessment.

On the bright side, the bus driver accepted full responsibility, so I shouldn't face any immediate cost. On the down side, it will inevitably impact my insurance renewal cost not to mention the inconvenience over the period of repair or replacement. I'm due to be away with the car in just over two weeks time; I'm really hoping things can get sorted in time for that...
Sorry to hear this. Must have been a shock sitting stationary in your car.
Glad that no one was injured.

All the best
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 11:29   #19
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
The rear activation thing is only available if you have BLIS i think I'm right in saying?
Correct.
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 11:34   #20
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
VoC didn't kick in automatically.
Iirc, VoC will only make an emergency call automatically if an airbag is deployed.