Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0D 2008 ELM327 ODB2 scan problem

Views : 699

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 16:08   #1
Ghost83
V50 2.0D 2009 R-Design

Default V50 2.0D 2008 ELM327 ODB2 scan problem

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody had a problem with this code scanner. I just purchased mine couple of days ago off eBay. I’ve plugged it in and hell lose. My dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. I got back ABS sensor faulty msg, brake issues, srs airbag faulty msg, my windscreen wiper started to operate without being able to stop it.
On top of these I got a msg that my immobiliser has an issue so I had to take the key out, lock the car and unlock it. And only after about a minute I was able to start the car. Until then, it did not start, did not even turned.
The OBD scanner itself was EXTREMELY HARD to push it on the port. Did not even force it. I was worried I might break that thing off.

Can anyone help me with this?
Maybe I purchased a wrong scanner? Or my car does not have odb2?

The licence plate: BD58JBX

Also if someone could tell me what is my engine code and if it’s a P1 or P2 would be amazing!
Every time I call someone or check my vin against databases I get different answers. Like it’s a 2008/2009 model ect.
I can’t even buy a flippin oil filter cos don’t know what to buy.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286968
XC90- sold | XC70-sold | C30- sold | V70- sold
Ghost83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 16:19   #2
andy_d
Premier Member

as has been said a lot of times
vida software and a dice unit are the only reliable ways to read the car

vida software has ALL the part numbers for your car, you either
a/ enter the VIN and select the options
b/ connect to the car with a Dice unit and it Reads the VIN and fills in most of the options

at this point you can search for any of the parts on the car, get a pictoral view And the part numbers.
If you are connected to the car it will read any DTC's , give you the Correct volvo step by step how to fix them and then Clear the codes

yes other odb2 scanners Might work, might not, Certainly wont talk to much more than the engine , will NOT talk to the SRS systems, most probably wont talk to the gearbox, and Certainly will NOT talk to any of the car's security features

there are Lots more valid reasons why most of us say "use a main dealer or an indy With dice/vida if you dont have your own",, and your finding out why we all say that
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 21:21   #3
Bungo
Premier Member

Ah Ebay ELM readers. Most of the time they simply don't work but worse they send the car into a fit.
For some reason your year of car has been lost in the Volvo database wilderness. Ask 5 dealers and you'll get 5 different answers.
I think they were phasing different models in and out and stuck whatever was lying around on any car.
Depends what you're after. I usually take the old part to compare and do a lot of research. These days I mostly leave it to the local indy, so much less hassle
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 09:29   #4
Ghost83
V50 2.0D 2009 R-Design

Yeah you guys do talk sense.

Since I am working in a bus garage (driver) I went up to one of the Volvo technician and guess what?! He has the full monty for the cars as well not just buses, so will have my car checked on Monday.
I am more than happy with this.

#andy_d
I guess I wanted to be smarter than everybody and backfired a bit.

#Bungo
Exactly. Nobody seems to know what kind of car I have.
I’d take the part and just reorder but I am after oil filter and don’t want to leave the car without a filter till I get the new part. Anyway I find it ridiculous that a Volvo shop can’t figure out what king of car I’ve got. Hard to believe.
Grr...
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286968
XC90- sold | XC70-sold | C30- sold | V70- sold
Ghost83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 16:49   #5
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrincs View Post
Yeah you guys do talk sense.

Since I am working in a bus garage (driver) I went up to one of the Volvo technician and guess what?! He has the full monty for the cars as well not just buses, so will have my car checked on Monday.
I am more than happy with this.

#andy_d
I guess I wanted to be smarter than everybody and backfired a bit.

#Bungo
Exactly. Nobody seems to know what kind of car I have.
I’d take the part and just reorder but I am after oil filter and don’t want to leave the car without a filter till I get the new part. Anyway I find it ridiculous that a Volvo shop can’t figure out what king of car I’ve got. Hard to believe.
Grr...
Maybe they just dont wanna bother with old car and tell you to go away :P
There is nothing wrong with trying to get OBD reader, you just got wrong or faulty one. Did you try it on another car? I did hear stories on readers causing problems, but havent seen one yet. I got my cheapo 9eur reader from Amazon and I am very pleased with it. Not a single problem with it on any of 4 cars I tested it with, also works wonders when driving with it and monitoring car in real time on torque. A handy device to have in glovebox.
I also have Vida+Dice (absolute must-have tool, I admit) but use it only for serious diagnostic and troubleshooting.

if you want to PM me your VIN, I can tell you exactly what Vida sees your car as, no problem.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 18:21   #6
Sysyphus

As I said in another thread where the OP describes his issues, I had exactly the same problems with a cheap Chinese knock-off blue ELM327, the kind you see on eBay for less than $5, but mine was one that BluePower sent me for $20 to go with my BLP-990A.

Threw it straight in the trash, and luckily the car returned to normal after it was removed. BluePower did refund my money for the dongle, but I was still down on the deal after PayPal fees and exchange rate.

Took best part of a week for the smell of sizzling microchip to dissipate fully, even longer for me to totally believe that there was no actual damage to my car
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote