Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 Auto Box fluid change TF-80SC

Views : 675

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2018, 16:24   #1
TristarL1011

Default S60 D5 Auto Box fluid change TF-80SC

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know if there is a way to replace the automatic gearbox fluid in my car without Vida and do it myself at home? Its the 6 speed TF-80SC box.
I have heard that you need to plug it in the check the tempreture of fluid when you set the level.
If I drain the gearbox cold and measure the exact amount that came out and put that amount in, would that work?
Dealer wants nearly £300 to change. Cheers
TristarL1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 17:48   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I have just completed this on my 2012 xc90 d5. I would have no worries about doing it without Vida although I do have it. First rule is to only listen to people who have actually carried out this operation as there seems to be a lot of ‘lore’ Out there.

1). Select correct fluid. Jws3309 will be stated by all however it changed in 2010 to aw1 and then changed after.

2). Ensure you have a t55 torx for fill line, t40 for integrated level plug and 17mm internal hex for drain.

3). Get a large pan type drain (6l from Halfords is great). You can’t afford to loose stuff. Also get a measure beaker set from Amazon (I paid about 10 quid for a large range).

4). Get 2 sets of drain gasket (aluminium), and o ring for fill and integrated level.

As long as the temperature that the fluid comes out is the same as the temp of the fluid goes in you will be fine (assuming it was correct before). I drained black poor condition fluid out and the 1st drop a week later was just as bad. I did an experiment and filled up with 2.6 of fresh fluid and circulated through the box in p, n, d and r and drained a small amount out. It looked much improved. I then drover for a Week and it came out poor. Accordingly it’s clear that it takes time to pick up contaminants in the atf fluid so do t fill, dump, fill dump the same day.

I dropped 2.6 and refilled. Fitted new gaskets and drove for a week. Retained the same gaskets and dumped a further 2.6l a week later and repeated about 4 tines. On the final dump i used the 2nd set of gaskets and o-rings.

It’s very easy.

One point I would not is that if you have a huge **** up and it goes wrong the oil temp in my xc90 took 30 mins to get to 50 degrees and didn’t really get any hotter. I don’t believe it would should you not drive it. If you have an issue I would be happy to idle for 40 minute then use the drain plug as intended.

Just to add the final drop (1500 miles later) was a lovely cherry red and the box is much better now.

Last edited by XC90Mk1; Sep 24th, 2018 at 17:50.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 17:50   #3
TristarL1011

Thanks for the advice. I might give it go and drain the fluid out cold and put the exact amount back in cold.

Like you said worse case let the car idle for 40 mins and then check the level.
Can I just confirm that it took 40 mins to reach 50 degrees from a cold engine with the gear selector in park? Thanks
TristarL1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 20:49   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristarL1011 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I might give it go and drain the fluid out cold and put the exact amount back in cold.

Like you said worse case let the car idle for 40 mins and then check the level.
Can I just confirm that it took 40 mins to reach 50 degrees from a cold engine with the gear selector in park? Thanks
Hi,

The car was at 13oC ambient and upon starting climbed reasonably quickly to approximately 40oC. At this point it rose to around 46 quickish (10 mins and 10mins approx). At 46oC it didn’t really raise quick at all, took 10-12 mins to go up to 50. I left it about 10 minutes and it rose perhaps 1 degree. It appeared to me that the transmission should get to 50 quickly and then not raise.

I cycled it through p, n, d and r for 10 seconds a number of times. The effect was either nothing or it went up 1oC then dropped back. I think if you left it 35 minutes you would find it between 48 and 55c.

Frankly though I would just drain and refill carefully.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 15:19   #5
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

I've got a bit of a different take re: measuring and temp.
You can get it roughly to the right temp simply by driving for about 15min. This is based on having done the procedure 1x with my 2010 V70, 1x with my 2004 S60 and 2x with my 2003 V40. Each time I used VIDA to check temp and each time I ended up driving for the same distance before checking temp and each time it got to about 80deg at the same point in the drive.

With the above in mind, I would overfill slightly and wait to get it to right temp before making the final adjustment. i.e. drive for 15min. Then you find a flat/level location, slide a pan under the engine and pop off the level plug and drain until it stops. This gets you the EXACT right level.

The other ways will get the job done too...I just like the piece of mind that the level plug design is used for its intended purpose.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote