Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HELLLLLPP!! Oil filter disaster 440/1.9 TD

Views : 2765

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 20:13   #31
Clan
Experienced Member

once the oil filter is off the hollow bolt will easily undo to free the oil cooler ( 27 mm AF i think ) If you get around to tightening dont do the bolt up tight just enough to nip the cooler to the block
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 20:23   #32
rustyold440

Thanks Chris. I'm starting to formulate a plan, its based around getting a smaller grinder. There's no way I can get my bosch grinder in that little space without damaging wires, pipes and everything in sight..

I'lll cover the whole face of the filter base with gaffa tape to try to keep the swarf out.

Dunno if a dremmel might be powerfull enough :-S I need to go shopping and tool up while I'm out on holiday next week.
rustyold440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:31   #33
rustyold440

Paul Clifton posted a diagram for me on the Deisel section. I had a flash of intelligence in the middle of the night, and had to go out and try it this morning.

Basically, I put molegrips on the threaded hollow bolt and rotated the hollow bolt out with the oil filter attached.

I can't save the hollow bolt, and I even in the vice I still can't seperate it from the oil filter - but the oil cooler should be fine with a new gasket on.

Just got to put it all back together now and refill with oil and coolant Thanks everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axis-of-evil.jpg (177.2 KB, 23 views)
rustyold440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:04   #34
craig8661
Master Member

i swear blind they must have welded it on if it was my car i think that would have been the end of it glad your getting it sorted out

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 12:27   #35
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Last time i bought one the same size for a 960 it was £150 and that was about 5 years ago . £ 39 is a bargain and too good to be true ! what was the part number?
I priced up one for an 89 760 D24, £39, Mine was the 1990, That was £206!!! Eurocarparts, was slightly miffed that 'their' mistake, but then I realised it was my fault all along!
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote