Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2018 xc60 inscription - speed camera warning

Views : 6893

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2018, 21:08   #11
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Or you could stop been selfish and actually drove at the speed limit...
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 00:04   #12
MaDProFF
Master Member

yes like everyone obey's speed limits, heres a thought though how about everyone actually drive at the speed limit.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 13:22   #13
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Or you could stop been selfish and actually drove at the speed limit...
Maybe when a member of their family is mown down by a speeding motorist they might realize just how selfish and stupid people who try to avoid speed camers really are.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 18:57   #14
MaDProFF
Master Member

Speed cameras are put there to make money, most are not related to help in other way. if you want to cut down on speeding in areas that need it, then use average speed cameras.

it is not Speed that kills, it is the stupid drivers who do not know how to drive, or cyclists who think they can ride with out a care in the world, or people on their phones that just walk about not looking where they are going.
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 12:19   #15
Roosterb

I turned on this sound warning the other day to try it. Useful for the 'Smart' motorway cameras but became a bit of a nuisance around town etc as it seemed to 'bing' each time I moved into a new speed limit. Now turned off again.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 13:15   #16
MaDProFF
Master Member

I think you can stop the audible ping for new speed limits, mine just pings when it is in a range of a speed camera
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 15:49   #17
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
Speed cameras are put there to make money, most are not related to help in other way. if you want to cut down on speeding in areas that need it, then use average speed cameras.

it is not Speed that kills, it is the stupid drivers who do not know how to drive, or cyclists who think they can ride with out a care in the world, or people on their phones that just walk about not looking where they are going.
So you now decide when and where to speed. You also decide the effectiveness of speed cameras? A pretty bold statement isn't it 'It is not speed that kills'.

It could be the toddler bolting out of the sweet shop, the person working double shifts and does not pay attention and as for the 'cyclists who think they can ride without a care in the world' speeding does not really help in that situation does it.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 17:28   #18
MaDProFF
Master Member

Get a Life XC90MK1 like you have never been over the speed limit before, just because someone wants a speed camera warning does not mean they want to speed, like those examples sometimes you forget you might be doing a few mph over the limit just at the wrong time, cannot watch speedo all the time, everyone does it, just sometimes you get caught out, so a warning is nice to remind you where you are and how fast you are going.

Regarding one speed camera 200 yds up the road from me, is in the top 3 highest grossing camera in the country, and it is in its place because it is just off a roundabout accelerating away from it and cars/bikes used to wake up the ex policeman who lived in the house next to it, and all of a sudden voila there is a camera there. no accidents, camera 200 yds going away from a roundabout used to be a 60mph, now a 30, no schools, shops, road even has a pavement for the 10 pedestrians that may walk up or down in a day.

So yes I am not a firm believer of some of the crap you hear about why there are speed cameras in some places, in fact there are more accidents now further up the road in this village than ever before since it has been a 30 MPH speed limit, to the point there also have a mobile spot, where the speed camera should be.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 18:46   #19
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
Get a Life XC90MK1 like you have never been over the speed limit before, just because someone wants a speed camera warning does not mean they want to speed, like those examples sometimes you forget you might be doing a few mph over the limit just at the wrong time, cannot watch speedo all the time, everyone does it, just sometimes you get caught out, so a warning is nice to remind you where you are and how fast you are going.

Regarding one speed camera 200 yds up the road from me, is in the top 3 highest grossing camera in the country, and it is in its place because it is just off a roundabout accelerating away from it and cars/bikes used to wake up the ex policeman who lived in the house next to it, and all of a sudden voila there is a camera there. no accidents, camera 200 yds going away from a roundabout used to be a 60mph, now a 30, no schools, shops, road even has a pavement for the 10 pedestrians that may walk up or down in a day.

So yes I am not a firm believer of some of the crap you hear about why there are speed cameras in some places, in fact there are more accidents now further up the road in this village than ever before since it has been a 30 MPH speed limit, to the point there also have a mobile spot, where the speed camera should be.
I have never made a claim to have not gone over the limit by a couple of mph, I have never made a claim to never have been caught (I have and went on a course).

You have made a number of statements in here as fact (see my above references). Remember you are on a public forum and there is every chance that someone on here has lost a member of family to a reckless speeder. Stating as FACT that cameras are for money generation and that ‘speed is not the problem’ is not really the done thing.

Suppose we will have to agree to disagree, I won’t be responding to someone with your views again.

Best Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 18:11   #20
BigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhedgerows View Post
not sure if the 2018 and 2019MY are different on this, but on my 2019MY XC60 you have to turn on the audible warning:
Settings / My Car / Intellisafe / Road Sign Information / Speed Camera Audio Warning (I think... it's definitely buried in there somewhere)

Jon
My MY18.5 Inscription only has Road 'SIGN' audio warning, not 'camera'. Perhaps it's a MY 19 update ?