Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clunking Gear box? or not ?

Views : 1558

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2010, 21:02   #1
danny r

Default Clunking Gear box? or not ?

When changing through the gears my 2007 S40 'clunks'.

It is apparent up through 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th gears. It clunks when the clutch is depressed to the floor and as the gears re-engage. It sounds as if the sound is under the centre of the car. Its a metalic sound.

I cannot hear it going through the other gears (fifth & sixth) and also it does not appear when going down through the gears, (thats not to say its not there!)
Firstly Volvo couldnt hear this problem but its clear when, in a built up area the sound reverberates off the houses / surrounding walls etc. So, its not a sound that at first grabs you but its there and is only when changing gear as mentioned.
Last month, on an extended warrenty, volvo changed the gear box FOC. Needlees to say, i was releived as it was just out of warranty. The car had a new clutch in warranty, at 43,500 odd miles due to the slipping gears at 19-2100 revs which is/was a manufacturing fault on this model/clutch etc.

So, we have a new clutch and gear box and....Last week the same clunking noise reppeared.
I have returned the car to the garage who are unsure where to go with this problem.

The outcome is that no-one at the dealership can (at present) identify the problem. Today I was told that the car has not been fixed but is ready for collection!
The dealership do not know the faulty part to remedy the problem and I am not a happy volvo driver .....

Can you please help with this as I would be very grateful for some advice.
danny r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:59   #2
Welton
Premier Member

My T5's gearbox/drivetrain does the same I think (it's a different box to the diesel though) but I sometimes get a kinda heavy machinery "ker-chink" when using the gears.

I have put this down to slightly poor driver timing of the clutch action during changes and most of all the gearbox oil is now much hotter than it was in the winter effectively 'loosening up' all the gearbox components.

If gears select ok with the engine on and off then I wouldn't worry. Similarly if there's no whining or difficult changes it should be ok. A good gearbox should feel kinda 'snickety' where the gear selection has some resistance at first and then snicks in nicely without crunching and it should feel like it's going to stay in gear (like you've pushed a lever over a crest if you like).

A naughty gearbox will feel difficult to engage and like it's going to pop out of gear again as if the level isn't quite reaching where it needs to.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 13:57   #3
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

I have this same issue/occurance on my 05 S40 2.0d SE Sport.

I'm guessing it's not a big problem...

Like you mentioned its only really there 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th for me and although its a clunk its quite a 'soft' clunk similar to the kind of clunk you get when you reach full lock on steering. like somethng hitting a rubber stopper, really strange.

It does worry me slightly (usually when I have the stereo down low and can hear it)

I was going to ask about it when I took it for a service.

Last edited by Bigmunkynutz; Aug 9th, 2010 at 14:02. Reason: more info
Bigmunkynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 05:56   #4
Bulgarianvolvo

Default Heavy clutch

I also have a slightly clunkly gearbox on my LHD 2.0D and a very heavy clutch. My wife has a 1.6D and the pedal pressure is lighter and much more pleasant. I have never experienced such a heavy clutch and cannot believe that it was designed to be like this..... It is a company car and thinking to take it in to the dealer for a checkup.
Bulgarianvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 12:53   #5
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

I had the same on the 2.0d and T5.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 22:31   #6
zork

Hello!

Did anyone managed to fix this?

I have this clunk sound when:
1. changing gears... It doesnt happen only if I have a good timing for clutch pedal and acclerator...
2. Climbing a border
3. Shutting off the engine... But here is more than a single clunk... There are like 2-3 clunks... If I press the clutch pedal it's ok...

I replaced the engine mount on the drivers/battery side(left) ; I replaced the torque pad to no avail... Some say it could be the flywheel, but it seems that replacing the entire clutch didnt helped Danny...

Any ideeas?

Thank you!

Volvo S40 2.0D 2004

Last edited by zork; Sep 21st, 2018 at 22:34.
zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 15:12   #7
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork View Post
Hello!

Did anyone managed to fix this?

I have this clunk sound when:
1. changing gears... It doesnt happen only if I have a good timing for clutch pedal and acclerator...
2. Climbing a border
3. Shutting off the engine... But here is more than a single clunk... There are like 2-3 clunks... If I press the clutch pedal it's ok...

I replaced the engine mount on the drivers/battery side(left) ; I replaced the torque pad to no avail... Some say it could be the flywheel, but it seems that replacing the entire clutch didnt helped Danny...

Any ideeas?

Thank you!

Volvo S40 2.0D 2004
Mine did this ever since I got it 2 years ago, so did my previous S40 previous gen. Its not related to clutch/DMF , I can tell you that, as on brand new set it still does that so its still an "one of those things" issues