Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 diesel 2.0D glow plug coil light

Views : 2090

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2014, 11:00   #1
zmogedra

Default 2004 diesel 2.0D glow plug coil light

Hi everyone I have a question, about glow plugs and the indicator light. So I have a starting problem with my bought volvo s40 2.0D 2004.5. And I am trying to figure out the missing pieces who is to blame:
1. Throttle body flap,
2. Glow plugs,
3. Not enough starting current.
1. Throttle body was cleaned with a carb cleaner and look pretty clean. EGR is blanked so no air comes from exhaust. Doesn't look like the throttle body cleaning helped.
2. Mechanic checked the glow plugs continuity and said they don't need changing. But what bothers me that the coil light on a dashboard only blinks and goes off when the ignition key is turned, no matter the outside temperature -6C or +10C. What is your experience with the coil light on the dashboard should it stay ON maybe even for a bit longer? Is there a way to check if the glow plugs are really turned on when the ignition key is turned (without taking them out)?
3. Fact or coincidence that if I turn off the lights and all electronics it takes less cranks for the engine to fire it up.

Sorry for the long post, the winter is coming.. So I would like to sort the problem till then.
zmogedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 15:10   #2
kebab10
Premier Member

I think you have answered your own post here!

If I turn off the lights etc. I would point the finger of blame at the battery. How old is it, how often do you start and drive the car a reasonable distance?

On my 2005 2.0d V50 I put the key in and turn and it usually fires. I have had this year, a new alternator and battery as well as wishbones and shock absorbers.

Get the battery and the charging circuit checked out.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 11:01   #3
zmogedra

Battery I think is made in 2011 and also mechanic said that the alternator isn't volvos stock so at some point it was changed. Looking at the voltage when the car is stopped or running looks like they are okey. Today it took quite some offer to make the car running even anti-skid error popped on the screen. But there is no problem starting the car when the engine is warm
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 12:42   #4
kebab10
Premier Member

When I had my alternator changed in April was told that I would probably have to change the battery within a few months.

Sure enough, in September the battery low voltage or similar message came up on the dash and had to get another battery. The new alternator had literally cooked the original battery. My car is 2005 registered so almost 9 years was pretty good.

I would get your battery checked seeing as the alternator has been changed.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 13:26   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmogedra View Post
Looking at the voltage when the car is stopped or running looks like they are okey.
What does ok mean?
What were the figures?
What's the battery voltage during cranking? This is the key to knowing whether a new battery is required.
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 16:20   #6
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Are you sure you throttle body is not damaged? it is not unheard of that people have damaged the throttle body so that it become slightly misshapen more so down to position than anything else?

Additionally as said what rating is on the alternator? (it was known for some time the earlier cars failed because the alternator was a lower rated one than the later cars (if you get a bigger more powerful variant then you need a software update). Battery is another potential issue.

Glow plugs on the 2.0D are not used until -10.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 07:24   #7
zmogedra

Okey new battery Varta 85mh 800A! Problems almost solved starts much better. But still looks like it has a sluggish start I mean RPM builds up some times pretty slow and sometimes jumps fast then starting the car. On this weekend I think I will try to disassemble the throttle body and take a closer look maybe try some sanding paper for the edges, because it looks like that if you use some force to close the flap it gets a bit stuck and you need to push it again to open it.
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 12:16   #8
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

The volvo fix to avoid that is to chamfer the edges . It should cure the slow start.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coil light, glow plugs