Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The D5 and fuel additive??

Views : 5985

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2011, 16:40   #1
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Default The D5 and fuel additive??

I have a couple of bottles of diesel additive (Texaco) I was thinking of putting through the D5, its an 03 V70 168bhp (I think) Any reason why I shouldn't use it? I only ask as I remember when I worked for Mazda, its wasn't a case of "not recommended" it was a "DO NOT USE"

Also, I usually throw a litre of oil in with a full tank of diesel, but with the D5 being so electrical, I haven't done this yet either, any thoughts on that?

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 17:37   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

it has been mentioned that the D5 do not like the addatives , however i have used the oil treatment and not the other additves and have had no issues for that last year .
mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 17:41   #3
S60-MBS
VOC Member

I been using Redex Fuel system cleaner for years with no issues, According to my Volvo reciepts the dealers have been adding fuel and oil additives too, believe they use the Forte Stuff.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 22:47   #4
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

The Texaco stuff I have is actually the same additive that was approved for Mazda's as its just a strong dose of what Texaco add to their fuel, so probably would be safe enough to use. I'm liking this idea of using 2 stroke oil with the fuel, might give that a go

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 22:36   #5
Backhill1
Master Member

Why are you even thinking of adding oil to fuel, am i missing something? I know of people adding hydraulic oil to kerosene when it was cheaper and clear to try and replicate the lubricant aspect of diesel fuel but as it is a natural lubricant (fuel oil) and designed to self lubricate the injectors etc there is no nead. The adding oil to the fuel will do a lot more harm than any additive unless you like blue smoke, sticking rings polished liners clogged head ports chocked turbo and egr etc etc etc. The forte product is well documented as a pukka product but i think every 4th fill with shell ultimate diesel will do the same thing?
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backhill1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 10:16   #6
Silverbrick
Deep sea Skiver!!!

Bloody hell, you`ll be putting Slick 50 in with your engine oil next!! The only thing I put in my fuel tank is non supermarket diesel, I`d hate to be worried that anything else might foul the injectors and cost me big time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silverbrick For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 10:40   #7
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhill1 View Post
Why are you even thinking of adding oil to fuel, am i missing something? I know of people adding hydraulic oil to kerosene when it was cheaper and clear to try and replicate the lubricant aspect of diesel fuel but as it is a natural lubricant (fuel oil) and designed to self lubricate the injectors etc there is no nead. The adding oil to the fuel will do a lot more harm than any additive unless you like blue smoke, sticking rings polished liners clogged head ports chocked turbo and egr etc etc etc. The forte product is well documented as a pukka product but i think every 4th fill with shell ultimate diesel will do the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbrick View Post
Bloody hell, you`ll be putting Slick 50 in with your engine oil next!! The only thing I put in my fuel tank is non supermarket diesel, I`d hate to be worried that anything else might foul the injectors and cost me big time.

I'm with these two^^^^^
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to y2blade For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 12:30   #8
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

I've found that a 2000 mile return trip to the Alps does wonders for the smoothness of the D5. I did the last one in August and the engine has been brilliant immediately afterwards. Next one not due until Easter '12.

I'm currently just running a few miles to work and back every day (since being knocked off my bike riding to work so under docs orders not to ride until after Xmas - free to ski next week though - go figure !) and the engine is sounding and feeling rougher. It is due a regular 6000 mile oil and filter change soon though.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 13:09   #9
prionailurus
Dan

I use this millers stuff every 2 or 3 fill ups, and it does make a bit of difference to sound, smoothness, and willingness to accelerate (when you ask it to)
Back end of last month I put it in with some V-power and cleaned out the EGR pipework, and SH#T man the car was quick! and did a couple more mpg too.

We don't use a bit of plastic where a bit of metal can go.
Everything I write on here is mere opinion unless stated otherwise, and I'm not ranting, honest
prionailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 13:21   #10
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I've found that a 2000 mile return trip to the Alps does wonders for the smoothness of the D5. I did the last one in August and the engine has been brilliant immediately afterwards. Next one not due until Easter '12.

I'm currently just running a few miles to work and back every day (since being knocked off my bike riding to work so under docs orders not to ride until after Xmas - free to ski next week though - go figure !) and the engine is sounding and feeling rougher. It is due a regular 6000 mile oil and filter change soon though.

do you use any Fuel additives? or am I missing your point?

Edit:
(sorry if I sound flippant Robbie, maybe not worded very well)
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote