Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

upgrade disc / model

Views : 575

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2018, 12:36   #1
Changeling

Default upgrade disc / model

Hello, been searching and cannot seem to establish exactly which model sat nav l have in my 2011 V70 D5 LUX.
I have the model that is fixed into the dash board. Not the pop up one.
I'm looking into finding a way to upgrade the map, as at the moment it's probably the worst sat nav l have ever used. Very out of date, but l am reluctant to pay silly money at a dealer for new discs.
Anyone help here ?
Thanks
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 13:07   #2
lepicane
2012 S80 D5 Executive

Have a look here against your model and year.

https://support.volvocars.com/uk/car...spx?cstype=map
lepicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 20:01   #3
1monkey600

Basically:
if you DON'T have a 'globe' printed on the button below the 'My Car' button in the centre console you will need separate software to allow you to download your own updates to USB then into the car. Even then I believe the updates are different to later cars and very infrequent.
If you DO have a 'globe' printed on the button then you can download your own updates via USB. These updates are much more frequent - two have been issued since I bought my car last June.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 20:01   #4
apersson850
Premier Member

If you have the Sensus system, which indeed has a fixed 7" screen at the top center of the dashboard, then you don't have a model year 2011. This system was introduced in 2011, as model year 2012. My car was delivered the week before midsummer 2011, and is one of the first from model year 2012. It does have Sensus and the RTI navigation system.

To begin with, the Sensus system had to be updated by a set of discs. They were not too expensive, but the code required was.
Now, you can have the software 30775609 installed. Once you have done that, for a fee, then you can download new maps from the internet and update without additional cost. Most recent maps available are from 2016. New ones will probably be published before the summer 2018.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 22:55   #5
Changeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
If you have the Sensus system, which indeed has a fixed 7" screen at the top center of the dashboard, then you don't have a model year 2011. This system was introduced in 2011, as model year 2012. My car was delivered the week before midsummer 2011, and is one of the first from model year 2012. It does have Sensus and the RTI navigation system.

To begin with, the Sensus system had to be updated by a set of discs. They were not too expensive, but the code required was.
Now, you can have the software 30775609 installed. Once you have done that, for a fee, then you can download new maps from the internet and update without additional cost. Most recent maps available are from 2016. New ones will probably be published before the summer 2018.
l've been living with the very old and very wrong standard map. I've been using a mobile phone on the dash.
Having just come onto the forum to ask about bulbs l saw your response.
l'll get the 30775609 update and sort out a more up to date map.
Thanks.
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 10:00   #6
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
l've been living with the very old and very wrong standard map. I've been using a mobile phone on the dash.
Having just come onto the forum to ask about bulbs l saw your response.
l'll get the 30775609 update and sort out a more up to date map.
Thanks.
Just FYI, I have the same system with the 2016 maps currently loaded. I believe that the latest update available to the maps is 2020, so don't expect to bring it bang up to date.

My local Volvo dealer quoted me £130 to do the 30775609 update, load the latest maps and install all the latest available software updates to the car. I dont find that unreasonable, so will be getting it done in the near future.
al dm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to al dm For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 10:52   #7
JonnyA

when i enquired about getting the software update for my 2012 XC70 a couple of years ago, the dealer declined to quote for it. when pressed they advised that they could do it but there was a (high) risk of the update bricking the unit requiring (expensive) replacement at my cost. there were some threads here on this. not a risk i was prepared to take as i find the volvo onboard nav clumsy (eg. you cannot enter a full post code) i stick to google maps on the phone far more convenient.
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE
ex - 1988 740 GL estate, before that a 340 GL
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 11:22   #8
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The 2012 XC70 Sensus sat nav system is now no longer supported by Volvo. To upload the free maps you had to have the Sensus system updated by a Volvo dealer. This is not something that is difficult and would have cost me about £80 if the system hadn't been found to be faulty and was replaced under the Selekt warranty. You would have to pay for the upgrade and then you could load the latest map for 2020 but this will be the last one you will be able to load. So you can choose to uprate the system and bring up to a past year's map standard but that will be the last map that will be supplied.

Whenever I impart this information I do tend to have a rant about the lack of support from Volvo. Why should drivers of well preserved Volvos not be able to upgrade the maps in their sat nav? I'd have been willing to pay for the map updates but Volvo are not going to offer them at all.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 12:09   #9
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Whenever I impart this information I do tend to have a rant about the lack of support from Volvo. Why should drivers of well preserved Volvos not be able to upgrade the maps in their sat nav? I'd have been willing to pay for the map updates but Volvo are not going to offer them at all.
I totally agree with your point.

It seems that rather than sell me map updates, or even allow a 3rd party option if they can't be bothered to do it, they want to sell me a brand new EX90 instead.

Got the email last night...clicked through and they want £1,699 per month for a "subscription" to the car, which will be available for delivery in about 18 months !!!

And.....it uses Google maps. So will be about as accurate as my phone is today!
al dm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to al dm For This Useful Post: