Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

my new 360 glt

Views : 1291

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 21:39   #1
tony360GLT

have just bought 1984 360 glt manual in amazing condition with 162000 on clock,only one owner and fastidiously maintained,but will not tick over quick enough when cold though.i used to have a pristine 745 SE with continuous injection that i used to be able to set up, but i know this injection system on my 360 is very different.does anyone have any tips or info on setting up my engine please,also can i use a colortune to set the mixture?also what is the best oil to use in this car,i am very keen on fully synthetics and use them in my SAAB 9000 and both of my motorcycles. thanks for any replies sent TONY.
Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 09:47   #2
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default RE: my new 360 glt

Yeah, its electronic fuel inj, but the cold running mechanism is very similar. Try replacing the auxiliary air valve. It'll cost quite a bit, 45 quids from the friendly dealer. You could try cleaning it with WD40 but I tried on mine and it didn't work so ended up changing it.

Make sure that the throttle body is clean as well. You can indeed use a colourtune to set the mixture. The adjuster is a little allen-head screw on the air mass meter, the box between the air filter and the throttle body.

the idle adjustment is the black screw underneath the throttle body. Idle should be about 900 rpms with 1% CO, If you want it a little smoother you could use 2% CO.

You could use synthetics I suppose. If it has been really well looked after and there isn't much wear on the engine. The trouble is that synthetics act like a flush and can sometimes flush all the stuff away from seals, rings etc that actually hold the engine together. I reckon you could give it a go, but only if it doesn't use any oil at all now and you know engine wear is at a minimum because it has been changed regularly.
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 18:02   #3
andrewj

>have just bought 1984 360 glt manual in amazing condition
>with 162000 on clock,only one owner and fastidiously
>maintained,but will not tick over quick enough when cold
>though.i used to have a pristine 745 SE with continuous
>injection that i used to be able to set up, but i know this
>injection system on my 360 is very different.does anyone have
>any tips or info on setting up my engine please,also can i use
>a colortune to set the mixture?also what is the best oil to
>use in this car,i am very keen on fully synthetics and use
>them in my SAAB 9000 and both of my motorcycles. thanks for
>any replies sent TONY.
>
> Use a 10W / 60 Fully Synth. grade if you can still find one - Castrol RS used to be this grade but now much thinner (or Mobil 1 in 15W / 50 grade which they call Motorsport). I used thinner 5W / 40 or even 0W/ 40 grades (v.good but TOO thin for this old lump of an engine) .. I was always topping up 1/2 litre after a motorway stint. Good old Castrol RS 10W / 60 - never EVER had to top this up however hard I revved my GLT.