Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 having intermittent difficulty starting

Views : 3869

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2019, 21:12   #51
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
One other thing? We had the petrol injectors unplugged from the injectors and she was running on gas, running well. I picked up one of the unplugged injector leads to take a look at it as it looked a bit ropey (the furthest one back) and that very second that I was handling it the engine stopped dead? Can't see any logic to this other than coincidence? Yet why she stop for no reason, she just doesn't do that.
That lead would bear investigation Ellie, especially if that's where they've picked up the connections for the LPG. If it won';t start easily tomorrow, try wiggling that lead again and see what happens.

By the way, does it seem any different driving it with the new CPS fitted?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 21:21   #52
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That lead would bear investigation Ellie, especially if that's where they've picked up the connections for the LPG. If it won';t start easily tomorrow, try wiggling that lead again and see what happens.

By the way, does it seem any different driving it with the new CPS fitted?
Cheers Dave, will do

On my way home, running on gas, I did think that she felt 'smoother' so then I switched to petrol to see if I felt any difference and then I just couldn't think or feel anything any more, it's been a hell of a few days for me, then I gave up thinking about the car and started worrying about other things!

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 21:53   #53
Laney760
VOC Member

I'm really happy that I've replaced this crank sensor, just look at it! Also really happy that I've replaced the engine coolant temp sensor because the code read that was faulty and since the new one was fitted the code has cleared. So I don't mind that I've spent money on two parts that didn't solve the starting problem!

008 by Strider'swoman, on Flickr

Old Sep 9th, 2019, 21:53   #54
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
On my way home, running on gas, I did think that she felt 'smoother' so then I switched to petrol to see if I felt any difference and then I just couldn't think or feel anything any more, it's been a hell of a few days for me, then I gave up thinking about the car and started worrying about other things!
I'd say you made a good call on the CPS then Ellie, from your comments about its appearance and the improved running, especially on gas (which is where ignition-related faults tend to show up first) it would seem you caught it just in time before it let you down.

Have a look at Pg90 (by document viewer page counter) of this pdf Ellie :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...ction-3-39.pdf

It shows a LHD car but given the injection ECU is in the right hand footwell, it's probably in the same place. You're looking for connector C55, an 8-pin connector and the grey wire in that is the -ve signal to the injectors. If the connections are dirty/corroded or otherwise not making well in that plug, it could cause the problems you're having, if the garage is right and the -ve is disappearing from the injectors. Also from what i can make out, the grey wire from there runs across the bulkhead as part of another loom into the rear most injector and then lopos from there to the others. That would tie in with your experience earlier with the #4 injector plug when it suddenly stopped.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 22:00   #55
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
I'd say you made a good call on the CPS then Ellie, from your comments about its appearance and the improved running, especially on gas (which is where ignition-related faults tend to show up first) it would seem you caught it just in time before it let you down.

Have a look at Pg90 (by document viewer page counter) of this pdf Ellie :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...ction-3-39.pdf

It shows a LHD car but given the injection ECU is in the right hand footwell, it's probably in the same place. You're looking for connector C55, an 8-pin connector and the grey wire in that is the -ve signal to the injectors. If the connections are dirty/corroded or otherwise not making well in that plug, it could cause the problems you're having, if the garage is right and the -ve is disappearing from the injectors. Also from what i can make out, the grey wire from there runs across the bulkhead as part of another loom into the rear most injector and then lopos from there to the others. That would tie in with your experience earlier with the #4 injector plug when it suddenly stopped.

Cheers Dave. I'm very very busy in the run up to my holiday so if I don't get time to investigate further I'll print off these posts and give them to my garage!

Old Sep 9th, 2019, 22:04   #56
Laney760
VOC Member

Whats the wire that runs parallel to the driver's seat, its tucked under the trim. Just before this problem started I tucked that wire back under the trim, then thought that was stressing it too much and then left it outside of the trim? Doubt it's anything to do with it, but just in case?

Edit, will post up a photo tomorrow

Old Sep 9th, 2019, 22:40   #57
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Whats the wire that runs parallel to the driver's seat, its tucked under the trim. Just before this problem started I tucked that wire back under the trim, then thought that was stressing it too much and then left it outside of the trim? Doubt it's anything to do with it, but just in case?

Edit, will post up a photo tomorrow
Errrrr, pass! That's one of those "piece of string" questions i'm afraid! Could be anything, not sure the photo will help but it might. Could be seat heaters, a wire added for something like the gas solenoid or possibly the signal wire for the LPG tank level sender. Doubtful it's anything to do with the injection but depending which piece of trim you mean, it could be.

Old Sep 9th, 2019, 22:59   #58
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Errrrr, pass! That's one of those "piece of string" questions i'm afraid! Could be anything, not sure the photo will help but it might. Could be seat heaters, a wire added for something like the gas solenoid or possibly the signal wire for the LPG tank level sender. Doubtful it's anything to do with the injection but depending which piece of trim you mean, it could be.

Sorry, I thought you knew EVERYTHING! :-) You know SO much, I thought you knew everything! :-) I'll post a photo tomorrow

Old Sep 10th, 2019, 19:45   #59
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Great news!

Came out this morning for my first cold start of the day, she ROARED into life as every self-respecting red block should do first turn of the key, none of the previous issues so I thought ''yay, the cold starts are resolved and now just the hot starts to resolve''. Came out of work, a cold start, she roared into life again! Restarted her four times, every time so easy!

Stopped in Tescos on the way home, wondered how the hot start was going to be after I came out of Tescos, expected it to be a little stubborn. First cranking, with no gas, WAS a non starter but every one after that with full throttle was successful, time and time again no problems with starting. Came home, switched off outside my garage, loads of hot starts, one after the other, no problems. Not sure why she now needs full gas on hot starts but provided she gets full throttle she fires into life immediately. She is in for throttle body clean on a big service in a few weeks time anyway so I'll see how she is after that.

A huge thanks to everybody for all their input, particularly to Dave who has an absolute wealth of knowledge about my car!

Edited to say that after the fitting of the new crank sensor at the garage yesterday I think I was trying to hot start her immediately afterwards with no gas but anyway, all is ok now!

Last edited by Laney760; Sep 10th, 2019 at 20:56.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 08:42   #60
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Almost there

Congratulations, I think you are almost there!
It should not be necessary to hot start with full throttle. What happens if after a successful hot start with full throttle you immediatly switch her off again and restart without touching the throttle pedal? If it does fire a second time without throttle I suspect the inlet manifold had filled itself with LPG. With full throttle you clear the overrich petrol/LPG mixture out quickly.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post: