Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Giving my '05 a 2010 facelift!

Views : 73467

Replies : 289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2010, 12:55   #111
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Worth a read.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...&highlight=ebc

Also try FRF for Volvo Brake pad prices. RUFE on this forum works there.

Last edited by Jonnieb2009; Aug 11th, 2010 at 13:02. Reason: added text
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 14:15   #112
jasonb
In the mood for change!

Certainly seems the way forward.
EBC are a disappointment on Volvo's.
I installed a set on Renault Scenic to cure the rear squeak and it worked a treat, reduced the amount of brake dust and performed just as well as factory pads.

When I picked the car up, I didn't know about the rear pad limits at the time, was not that significant. By the time I'd travelled the 150 miles home, the wheels were brown from debris of worn-out pads damaging the discs.

Time to get my hands dirty again I think, it's been an age since I swapped pads/discs myself.

Any suggestion on the type of plier tool to compress the brake pistons?
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 20:03   #113
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Received the DRLs today but not happy with them. They are small cheap plastic cr@p and there are screws at the back which go straight into the unit which will allow water in. Not a good purchase.
I think for now I'm best sticking with the currnt Prism ones until something better comes along. Ive seen some philips ones but they are mega pricey.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 14:47   #114
jasonb
In the mood for change!

BenB, there are a couple of post 2007 rear lights up for sale.
One of the sellers seems to ship to UK, just a matter of the final price:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_500wt_1154

The other seller does not look so keen, I've asked him if he'll reconsider:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_500wt_1154

Rgds
J
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 20:57   #115
Guy Incognito

Love the new look. To be honest i thought the standard car looked very nice too but the r design does add something.
Good luck with the lights.
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 23:14   #116
jasonb
In the mood for change!

BenB, both will ship to UK for 22 Euros and 29 Euros.
Rgds
Jason.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 00:47   #117
jasonb
In the mood for change!

I received my LED DRL's today! Photo's to follow.
Length-wise, they are exactly the same length as the top of the fog grille.
Should be simple to install.

What I have yet to understand/decide is the wiring source.
Jonnie, where did you tap in to for yours?

Considering they're such low energy unit, I see little point running them off of a dedicated fused circuit.
I'm tempted to try and tap in to the side-lights if the wiring source is straight forward?

In the meantime, I'm just about finished with the filler and primer on the front bumper and spoiler. Will most certainly get some base coat on to them over the weekend. No plans on a test fit just yet as I'm not looking to mark the paint before the lacquer goes on and sets hard.

Once the lacquer has hardened for a week, what's the best way to bring out the shine? I have a buffing machine and many different buffing wheels.
I have some rubbing compound too.
Higgy, what would you recommend?

thanks guys,
J
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 08:33   #118
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

JB

I fed a wire up to the headlamp unit were I tapped into the sidelight wire using one of those connectors with the plastic surround that you crimp together, I put a glass fuse in here too as I had one spare.

I have put some varying buffing pads off ebay (3 no for various uses) which I can connect to my angle grinder with the right thread - I need to check the speed of the angle grinder first. I have also got some G3 compound to try.

On a dry day Im going to put a smudging on the bonnet and give it a go - I will lightly use wet and dry with soapy water just on the scratches first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (1.7 KB, 305 views)
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 02:03   #119
Higgy50
VOC Member 23066

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
I received my LED DRL's today! Photo's to follow.
Length-wise, they are exactly the same length as the top of the fog grille.
Should be simple to install.

What I have yet to understand/decide is the wiring source.
Jonnie, where did you tap in to for yours?

Considering they're such low energy unit, I see little point running them off of a dedicated fused circuit.
I'm tempted to try and tap in to the side-lights if the wiring source is straight forward?

In the meantime, I'm just about finished with the filler and primer on the front bumper and spoiler. Will most certainly get some base coat on to them over the weekend. No plans on a test fit just yet as I'm not looking to mark the paint before the lacquer goes on and sets hard.

Once the lacquer has hardened for a week, what's the best way to bring out the shine? I have a buffing machine and many different buffing wheels.
I have some rubbing compound too.
Higgy, what would you recommend?

thanks guys,
J
Jason,

Depends what the paint finish looks like...If it's good might get away with a good cutting polish if not so good might need some very fine wet 'n' dry type paper....

Sorry not very specific Jason but more than happy to pop over and have a look when you get to that stage?...can bring some 'stuff' over with me and then decide the best way forward??
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 02:12   #120
Higgy50
VOC Member 23066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieb2009 View Post
JB

I fed a wire up to the headlamp unit were I tapped into the sidelight wire using one of those connectors with the plastic surround that you crimp together, I put a glass fuse in here too as I had one spare.

I have put some varying buffing pads off ebay (3 no for various uses) which I can connect to my angle grinder with the right thread - I need to check the speed of the angle grinder first. I have also got some G3 compound to try.

On a dry day Im going to put a smudging on the bonnet and give it a go - I will lightly use wet and dry with soapy water just on the scratches first.
Jonnie,

Before you get the wet 'n' dry out just try the cutting compound as it might have enough 'cut' to do the job...you can always revisit with paper afterwards if necessary. If you do go the wet 'n' dry route make sure you use a very fine paper not sure what grades you can buy off the shelf these days. I'll have a look in my garage and see what I've got, if I've got some suitably graded paper I'm more than happy to send you a sheet or two in the post?...If you do use paper use plenty of soapy water with it and do a little at a time. If you go through the paint!**!*???...

Tags
v50 facelift, vaiotag