Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

reverse??

Views : 325

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2019, 20:51   #1
jaeggernaut

Default reverse??

hi, I'm a new owner of a p1800s. received it last last summer and it's been in storage until today (first decent day weather wise this spring).

for the life of me i can't find reverse. it's a manual transmission with overdrive. and as far as i can remember, from neutral it was a straight left passed first gear and up. but i can't find any indent or indication that there's anything beyond the 4 forward gears.

any tips or help would be greatly appreciated! thx.
jaeggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 21:45   #2
JP 1800
Master Member

As yours is a left hand drive the reverse is to the left from neutral and pull up when you feel the lockout plate and then across towards first if I can remember correctly.

The picture on page 14 of the manual here explains the action:http://volvo1800pictures.com/manual/...nual_rev_A.pdf

Last edited by JP 1800; Apr 13th, 2019 at 21:51.
JP 1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 23:12   #3
jaeggernaut

Thx JP.
Will try.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 19:08   #4
jaeggernaut

the manual is great. thanks for the resource. unfortunately still not luck with finding reverse. i fear i'm going to actually break/bend something if i try any harder. i'll try my local mechanic and see if he has any insight. thx.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 23:09   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Pull up the lever before you move it towards you (LHD), that lifts the bottom of the lever cover up and over the blocking plate. Keep it pulled up as you move it forwards to minimise any obstruction. If you remove the gaiter and trim you'll be able to see what is happening. The blocking plate is just a bent piece of steel with a curved top. The two bolts or socket headed screws should have lock washers. If these are missing the bolts can come loose and the plate moves sideways and can block the lever.
A couple of pages here to read through. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...+reverse+plate
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 02:20   #6
jaeggernaut

@ Derek UK, .. genius! thanks very much! so easy when you know...
now i'll just wait for another warm day
The Following User Says Thank You to jaeggernaut For This Useful Post: