Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

TF80SD gearbox Valve body replacement XC60

Views : 2062

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2019, 19:21   #1
Old Wobbler

Default TF80SD gearbox Valve body replacement XC60

OK guy's. Need some help here.

These gearboxes are 'sealed for life' with no service parts according to Volvo yet when you get a code of TCM-P-074100 or TCM-D-074100 it means the valve body of the gearbox is failing or has failed.

This valve body issue with these Volvo's is a know fault and many go wrong, sadly few get replaced by main dealers at about £2000/£2500 a pop. The Valve body is £1300 on its own.

I've been unlucky to have bought an XC60 that seemed fine but developed the fault 3 weeks after buying it. (See previous thread.)

I'm now in the unenviable task of sorting the car out. (Wife wont let me sell it at auction, just to get rid of it)

So, who's had there Valve Body replaced in an XC60 or similar, who did it for you and who would you recommend to do it?

Cheers for your answers.

Last edited by Old Wobbler; Apr 9th, 2019 at 20:04.
Old Wobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 20:09   #2
paul chocks

Sorry to hear about your XC60. When my XC90 gearbox failed, I used AAA gearboxes in Nottingham. I had the box split, and rebuilt with new parts. Very good service. Had to leave car for a week or two. Not sure on their price for valve module.

Good luck
paul chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paul chocks For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 22:20   #3
Old Wobbler

Thanks for the info. I will look into them.

Been quoted £2400 plus vat for my gearbox to be reconditioned from South East transmissions in Charlton, London. Other than a Volvo main dealer I haven't been able to find another garage or gearbox repairer that will touch touch it.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 23:37   #4
tompip

Default sealed for life

Hello, If these gearboxes are 'sealed for life' with no service parts according to Volvo, have you discussed this with the dealer you bought it from, or Volvo UK?
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 11:17   #5
Spike56
Master Member

http://www.transmissionskent.com
Give these guy's a call. They offered good advice when I wanted to swap the gearbox on my car. They drove the car, and suggested that I leave it alone. Oddly the problem went away on it's own some while later! Saved me money and they didn't charge for the time and effort (which I found remarkable in this day and age).
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 09:05   #6
Old Wobbler

Default Warranty

The car came with a 3 month warranty and the fault started within 3 weeks of getting the car. I got the fault codes read only by Volvo at my own cost, the seller garage then authorised the Volvo garage to do Adaption's but that didn't fix the problem.
The selling garage then had it back, took it to Gravesend transmissions who did an oil change with an additive and recommended the garage put a new gearbox in it at which point the selling garage decided that 'we' has broken the warranty but doing unauthorised work on the car (I had the rear suspension bushes changed as they were shot and two new tyres on the rear of the car) and then claimed that 'we' had tampered with the car to cause it to go wrong. They then claimed they were putting the car back to how it left them due to the work we had got done on the car. Now they won't talk to us.
I've talked to CAB and a solicitor on the matter. I've not talked to Volvo UK direct.

Now I am trying to fix the car.

From what I am told by a Motor Engineer the lock up solenoid has stopped working in the valve body so it wont lock the transmission correctly and the only fix is a new valve body. At £2000 for Volvo to sort it, I'm sorry, I just don't have that sort of spare money to throw away to fix the car.

I've spoken to the largest VOLVO breaker in the UK looking for a 2nd hand gearbox. He is breaking XC60's as new as 2015 with this same gearbox due to gearbox issues. He won't even sell a 2nd hand TC80SC/SD box as they go wrong so often.

So this sounds daft but to find a garage that can be trusted to swap the valve body out to give us 100,000 miles will just about see the car in the scrap yard any way. Be good to find one that can do it. My two offers have been SE Transmissions in Charlton who can recondition the box, new valve body and give a 1 year parts and labour guarantee but they need the box out of the car for £2400 plus VAT. (Can't find a local garage willing to take the box out.) Or Horton Garage in Oxfordshire. (They will replace the valve body.) But that's a 150 mile drive.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 07:57   #7
St James

Sounds like a small claim court case to me under the Sale of Goods Act.
The car wasn’t fit for purpose in the first place.
2010 (10) Skoda Octavia vRS CR170 DSG
St James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 10:35   #8
Whyman
Premier Member

If they won't or can't fix it then you can reject the car and demand you money back. CAB should be able to advise.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 20:50   #9
bomberfr0g

not sure if you bought this with finance, if you did then the finance company will fight this for you, your deal is with them, their(garage) deal with the finance company.

I had some issues and the finance company were excellent.
bomberfr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 20:50   #10
seanc

If you're willing to or can travel, Horton Cars in Oxford did my valve body for around the £1200 mark.