Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 XC60 D4 misfire

Views : 2343

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2019, 20:06   #1
Larry lamb

Default 2014 XC60 D4 misfire

Hello, I am a new member to the site.

I have a 2014 XC60 2.0 D4 181bhp Manual

Recently it has developed a misfire when cold, and under light acceleration, otherwise it drives as normal with no loss of power

There are no warning lights on the dash and nothing obviously adrift under the bonnet however there appears to be a top end rattling noise towards the near side of the rocker cover / vac pump area but I am unsure as to whether or not these are connected, or even if this noise is normal for these engines.

I have seen a lot about EGR failure on these engines however it looks to me as though that has already been replaced at some point as it’s a lot newer looking than the rest of the engine.

Any help / information would be much appreciated

Regards Steve
Larry lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 08:24   #2
mbrain

I had exactly the same issue with my 2014 D4 181 auto, the engine would stutter and then more than likely stall at low engine temperatures. No fault codes, etc.

After some digging, I noticed that the diesel fuel filter hadn't been changed on the 4th service. After this was changed (in November), the problem has not returned.
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mbrain For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 11:48   #3
piotrek

Some D4 VEA owners had their EGR valves replaced more than once, and these symptoms are strongy indicative of faulty EGR valve...
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piotrek For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 22:11   #4
SeaShell

Mine still does this, light acceleration and before engine has reached operating temp.

Also will tend to splutter and stall when restarted if it has only been driven a short distance when cold.

I have had the fuel filter changed.

May check the MAP sensor to see if it makes a difference.
SeaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 13:24   #5
simwilk

Default d4 2017 missfire

So glad I've looked here. My late 2016 D4 manual XC60 has been in Volvo Huddersfield on 6 occasions under warranty and is just about to start its 6th week for the misfire at 75% of its operating temperature. No one knows what's causing it and at 24K they have confirmed it is not an EGR problem and the induction system is not coked up.

Volvo UK have washed their hands of this and the dealer now want to return this car back to me. This is my first Volvo after 2 German branded problem new cars. They have said drive it till it breaks down (what a cop out?) Thankfully i am Ex motor mechanic of 30 years and i am tempted to semi blank of the EGR leaving a 10mm central hole then caustic soda clean the inlet manifold. Really would appreciate some comments if anyone else has this problem.

Volvo Technical have told the dealer there is no recorded problems of this. However they told the dealer to link up a stock car to the dealer software and compare data on a road test. (Don't Volvo have any library date for these cars ? ) The stock car also misfired on road test. It seems to me that this forum has more idea of the cars than Volvo do. My wife is now very nervous about driving this 3 year old car that volvo are still warranty covering. i don't want to change the car yet as it has 5k of extras and we do love so much this car and its ability to transport you in a comfortable and safe way. So HELP please. Simon
simwilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 15:10   #6
SeaShell

As posted above mine did this also. It has since had the inlet manifold, inlet valves, EGR valve and cooler all replaced.

Has yours had a pressure test carried out?
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 17:06   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simwilk View Post
So glad I've looked here. My late 2016 D4 manual XC60 has been in Volvo Huddersfield on 6 occasions under warranty and is just about to start its 6th week for the misfire at 75% of its operating temperature. No one knows what's causing it and at 24K they have confirmed it is not an EGR problem and the induction system is not coked up.

Volvo UK have washed their hands of this and the dealer now want to return this car back to me. This is my first Volvo after 2 German branded problem new cars. They have said drive it till it breaks down (what a cop out?) Thankfully i am Ex motor mechanic of 30 years and i am tempted to semi blank of the EGR leaving a 10mm central hole then caustic soda clean the inlet manifold. Really would appreciate some comments if anyone else has this problem.

Volvo Technical have told the dealer there is no recorded problems of this. However they told the dealer to link up a stock car to the dealer software and compare data on a road test. (Don't Volvo have any library date for these cars ? ) The stock car also misfired on road test. It seems to me that this forum has more idea of the cars than Volvo do. My wife is now very nervous about driving this 3 year old car that volvo are still warranty covering. i don't want to change the car yet as it has 5k of extras and we do love so much this car and its ability to transport you in a comfortable and safe way. So HELP please. Simon

A lot of info here is just hearsay with few facts . The garage don't seem to be following a fixed path for these faults which they must have accumulated over the last 5 years . They can't just dismiss you and your fault and say wait until it breaks down ! , your car is under warranty . Presumably you have demonstrated the problem to them and they have experienced it ? There is an end to a problem like this , If they have run out of ideas they should be calling in the volvo engineers which is an option for them , the garage should already have a technical report about your case open with them . If you have had enough try a different dealer ... or leave the car with them with a loan car which you should have ...
If you tamper with it you are doing yourself no favours it will make it all worse .
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 21:00   #8
mbrain

Quote:
misfire at 75% of its operating temperature.
As I said earlier in the thread, this is the same issue mine had. No faults shown, Volvo couldn't fix it and a misfire at below operating temperature.

When I had the Diesel Fuel Filter replaced the fault has never re-appeared, this was 12 months ago. It was misfiring every 2-300 miles, always at below 90 degrees. The filter should be changed every 2 years/36k according to Volvo's schedule and mine wasn't changed when serviced on sale (the 4th service) by Marshall's of Peterborough.

In the 18 months we've owned it, it's been faultless apart from this.
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 11:45   #9
Skinadrian1000

Default was this ever resolved

Hi Larry lamb
Ive got the same fault with mu 2018 S60 D4 - did you ever resolve this ?

Adrian
Skinadrian1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 13:04   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

That's ridiculous, still under warranty and they cant help? The dealer has the option of calling the volvo technical dept down from Daventry for the day to help them with the problem, have they done this?