Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake cable Grommets

Views : 1396

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2019, 10:09   #31
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Dave,
I prefer my method, you prefer yours and we are each happy with the method we use. So be it.
Curious thing about the missing A frame on mine was, the whole thing had disappeared, A frame, clevis pin and split pin yet the bracket welded to the axle tube was and is still sound. I would have thought that if the A frame had simply corroded and broken, some part, the clevis pin or the split pin or the part of the A frame attached by either of those would have still been present. It was as if I had removed it and forgotten to replace it. Which I know I had not.
Methinks the Phantom Dismantler had been at work!

On my old 827 Coupe, i was changing the rear springs and shocks one day, with help from a friend. He had recently got an 800 and wasn't familiar with the rear shock lower mounting so got me to check the side he was doing and double-check it afterwards. The bottom end of the shock sits in a yoke and the pinch bolt through the yoke sits in a groove on the bottom end of the shock so there's no way it can come out when fitted correctly - which it had been.

I even ran my hand over the bottom of the yoke to feel the domed end of the shock was in the right place - if it hadn't been, there would have been empty space in the lower half of the yoke and all i could feel (and see) was the bottom end of the shock. Bear in mind, the pinch bolt can only go through if the shock is in the right place (or not there at all) so if the shock was through the yoke, it had to be in the right place.

Next day, en route to the MoT, the back end felt a bit lumpy on the side my friend had done. Thinking it was just the new shock bedding in, i drove slowly over the bumps so i didn't blow a seal in the shock. About 3/4 mile into the journey, there was a nasty thud as i caught a pot-hole that i thought i'd missed. The car immediately felt strange so i stopped and looked. The wheel was pointing into the top of the arch so i got my phone and took a picture behind the wheel. The bottom of the shock was resting on the edge of the yoke.

Phoned the MoT place and rebooked, drove home very gently and refitted it as it should be but there is no way that could have happened by itself.

Phantom Dismantler strikes again!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 11:23   #32
Ian21401
Premier Member

And said bolt still present in correct place?
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 12:22   #33
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
And said bolt still present in correct place?
It was, and just as tight as it had been!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 20:36   #34
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
... An inspection underneath revealed that the A frame part of the compensator gubbins which attaches to the bracket on the axle casing had disappeared ...
Thank you for using the correct term.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 21:24   #35
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
Thank you for using the correct term.
Many moons ago i had a girlfriend whose surname was Gubbins - i kid you not! Looks wise she was a cross between Linda Lusardi and Catherine Zeta jones and she was responsible for me getting my head stuck between the front seats of the Austin Ambassador i had at the time!

Old Apr 19th, 2019, 22:37   #36
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Many moons ago i had a girlfriend whose surname was Gubbins - i kid you not! Looks wise she was a cross between Linda Lusardi and Catherine Zeta jones and she was responsible for me getting my head stuck between the front seats of the Austin Ambassador i had at the time!
Ee By Gum.
If I remember correctly those cars were quite large inside. Memories eh.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 22:47   #37
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Ee By Gum.
If I remember correctly those cars were quite large inside. Memories eh.
You do indeed remember correctly and it was about 30 years ago now or very close to it.
In terms of passenger/driver space, they were certainly on a par with the 7/9xx Volvos, luggage space was considerably less though, even with that huge hatchback!