Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ownership Thread - 2012 XC90 Executive

Views : 26737

Replies : 207

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2019, 20:44   #81
SwissXC90
Premier Member

A forced regen is noisy and smoky, the engine is running at around 2000 RPM. Everything in the engine must be normal to do a regen.

Here's the VIDA notes regarding regen, to give you an idea as to what must happen, and where the regen limits lie:

Combustion of soot particles
Checking soot quantity
Check the intake system for leaks and damage.
Check the injectors. This is done from VIDA Vehicle communication.
Check the soot quantity in the particle filter.
  • At 19 g soot quantity in the particle filter, the Engine control module (ECM) starts, during highway driving, combustion of soot particles in the particle filter.
  • At 24 g soot quantity in the particle filter and normal driving, Engine control module (ECM) starts combustion of soot particles in the particle filter.
  • At 30 g soot quantity, a text message is sent to the driver information module (DIM).
  • At 38 g soot quantity, Engine control module (ECM) cannot start combustion of soot particles.
  • For 100 g soot quantity, VIDA cannot start combustion of soot particles.
Hint: As well, the differential pressure in the particle filter can be used as an indicator of soot quantity. Normal value when the engine is idling is between approximately 3 hPa and 20 hPa. Combustion of soot particles shall only be performed if the differential pressure in the particle trap does not exceed 100 hPa at idle. If the differential pressure is higher than 100 hPa, the particle trap shall be replaced.
Options
  1. Soot quantity 25 - 99 g.
  2. Soot quantity above 99 g. (For this option VIDA says replace the DPF)

Description of Option 1:
Combustion of soot particles
Caution! Combustion of soot particles (regeneration) shall be done outdoors, if it is not possible the particle filter shall be replaced.
This service can be used for the combustion of soot particles in the particle trap via the engine control module (ECM).

The combustion process consists of four phases.
1. Start-up phase, a start command has arrived from the user via VCT2000.
Start conditions are as follows:
  • Engine on for at least five seconds.
  • Coolant temperature at least 45 °C.
  • Engine oil temperature at least 30 °C.
  • Fuel temperature max. 80 °C.
  • Battery voltage at least 11.5 V.
  • No pedal may be activated.
  • Engine speed between 600 and 2200 rpm.
  • No diagnostic trouble codes for temperature sensor particle trap or temperature sensor catalytic converter.
2. No diagnostic trouble codes for coolant temperature.

3. Warm-up phase, all start conditions are fulfilled and engine speed is increased to approx. 2000 rpm.

4. Combustion phase, the temperature in the particle filter increases to approx. 600 °C. The combustion process lasts for approx. half an hour.

5. Cooling phase, to avoid overheating the engine speed will be at 1200 rpm until the temperature in the particle trap has dropped below 300 °C and the temperature in the catalytic converter has dropped below 230 °C.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 20:52   #82
Odysseus

Fantastic information, thank you.

Seeing from the excellent write-up the regen process is a reasonably lengthy thing, then hopefully what they told me over the phone earlier was really an excuse for running out of time today. Here’s hoping there are no problems tomorrow.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 13:03   #83
Odysseus

All done, car home and working fine.

The extra few days delay was due to the first DPF sensor being duff. They tried again with a new replacement sensor and all was fine. They also did something called a FlexFuel clean, which from what they told me is a “bit like a Terraclean but better, and includes the DPF”.

Total bill = £712.27

This year my kids will be sharing one small Easter egg...

Joking aside it’s good to get the car back especially seeing it’s needed for a long drive to the south coast tomorrow. Here’s to some trouble free miles for a while.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 14:05   #84
SwissXC90
Premier Member

FYI:
During normal mixed city and motorway driving, a regen occurs once every 1 to 2 tanks of fuel.
However I have never noticed a regen occurring in the last 3 years, it is undetectable to the driver.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 08:10   #85
Odysseus

I meant to put this in the post a few days ago, but here is a copy of the invoice (including part numbers) which might be useful to others who have similar challenges.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 14:45   #86
Odysseus

Ten days since my last update but seems like longer.

The XC90 was faultless on the long trip down to East Sussex from Cambridgeshire, proving its worth as a long distance machine. Encouraging fuel economy of around 32 mpg as well.

While there the size of the boot came in very useful for assisting with runs to the charity shop...

The return journey however revealed that the air conditioning had stopped blowing cold, so this morning I had it re-gassed at Kings of Witcham. Hopefully this £65 will help avoid any more sweaty long trips with a boot full of melting Easter eggs.

I've also picked up (thanks to a member on here) a set of proper thick and plush genuine Executive mats, which add to the look of the interior nicely.

Prior to these arriving I was using a set liberated from my long-departed 2005 S80 SE Lux. They actually fitted perfectly the second row floor, including mounting holes in the right places, and are almost perfect in the front floor. Given that they're still in pretty good shape and have sturdy rubber backing I can see them being ideal winter mats.

It's been a bruising month of car related bills what with the Lexus needing a full set of tyres and a service on top of the near £800 odd for the Volvo, so here's to a quiet few quarters of just normal driving!
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2019, 08:44   #87
owenfackrell
Premier Member

If the re-gas doesn’t work then it is most likely the clutch on the compressor. There are a number of threads on here about them. I have had to re shim mine and it now has no shims in it but then again the car has covered 247k miles.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 18:45   #88
Odysseus

This one is as much a life update as it is a car update. Going back a few months I may have explained the reason I bought a XC90 was the imminent arrival of a third child. I’m proud to say child #3 arrived on June 1st. He and my wife are now home and everyone is healthy. My other two boys (7 and 5) are beyond excited about having a baby brother and life is good.

The other good news is that, for the time being at least, all three offspring fit in the middle row of seats complete with their age and size appropriate car seats. This is no small feat and the XC90 succeeds where many other cars (including my not-exactly-teeny-tiny Lexus GS) fails.

This leaves the generous boot completely available for all the usual baby accessories, like buggies and change bags and enough spare clothes to start a branch of MotherCare.

Since the birth was an induction it didn’t involve the fraught zoom to hospital others may have experienced when their children wanted to arrive, and there were a few days before the birth when I returned home quite late after spending all day on the induction ward. It’s quite an odd experience returning to a near empty multi-story car park...

In other news, I did notice that the driver’s seatbelt was missing a button keeping the buckle at the right height for easy grasping, so that was easily solved by spending a couple of quid on eBay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Volvo-...72.m2749.l2649

Gratifyingly the air con is still blowing cold following the re-gas a month or so back, and the relatively traffic free runs back and forth to hospital gave a 32 mpg average which I’m pretty happy with.

The Volvo is now the only vehicle in the ‘fleet’ capable of taking the whole family at the same time so fingers crossed it remains equal to the task!

Thanks for reading.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 20:19   #89
dhr90

Congratulations on your new son! Happy motoring to you all.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 06:06   #90
Odysseus

The XC90 running well and is now solidly on family duty, acting as the maternal cargo transporter as my wife does excellent work looking after the two boys on summer holidays and the now eight week old.

One thing I did notice the other day however is that’s it missing a chrome trim piece from under the right rear light.

(That’s a picture from the AutoTrader ad so it’s clearly been like this since I bought it)

I’ve seen a replacement part for sale here: http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...romed/1032767/

My question is does anyone know what’s involved in fitting this? Does it simply press in to the gap between the light and the body or does the light need to come out first?

As ever all help gratefully received.