Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low Battery warning

Views : 2690

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 03:23   #11
Lonsdale

Default Low Battery warning

I got this message for the first and only time on Sunday evening whilst parked at a country park, the car wouldn't start - not as lucky as some on this thread!

Now some of advice/warning, as the car has always been serviced every 12 months at a Volvo dealer I assumed that I was covered by Volvo Assist. So I phoned them only to be told that my cover ran out 12 months before it's last service.

I gave Linda the date of it's last service and dealership used and she said I'll phone you back which the lovely Linda did, it turns out that after the last service the dealership didn't update my Volvo Assist.

Thanks to Linda she created a temporary account and dispatched a breakdown agent (god I feel old, the driver looked about 15 and his assistant 12)

They jumped started my car and got it going.

Next morning it only just started so leaving the engine running, I phoned my Volvo dealer for the price of a new battery (2010 2.4AWD D5)

It's been said before on this forum that genuine battery from a dealer are good value and as my original one has lasted 9 years and most generic batteries in my experience last about 4 years.

So in I'd say ignore the warning at your peril and make sure your dealer updates Volvo Assist (which mine has now done)

The price of the genuine Volvo battery was £102.60 (inc vat) with free fitting

HTH

UTB

Last edited by Lonsdale; Apr 3rd, 2019 at 04:44.
Lonsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 19:39   #12
GMcL
0's and 1's

I think Volvo are having problems with their Volvo Assist system.
My car has also had all services from new carried out in Volvocars approved workshops. I usually receive the credit card sized plastic card a week or two after service. The latest one arrived in the post today, the car was serviced in November !

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 00:04   #13
Lonsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
I think Volvo are having problems with their Volvo Assist system.
My car has also had all services from new carried out in Volvocars approved workshops. I usually receive the credit card sized plastic card a week or two after service. The latest one arrived in the post today, the car was serviced in November !
The Dealership told me they just update your entitlement to 12 months Assist and don't issue an new card after every service and that the card is just a way of giving you a hard copy of the phone number, after saying that I received a new card about 2 years ago, strangely it's called Volvo Accident not Volvo Assist even though the contact number is the same as before.
Lonsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 22:20   #14
GrahamHR

I've had this problem since new with my 2015 V60 Polestar.

11.2 V on delivery after a 180 mile trip, 10.8V after 2 days so a new battery early on

Since then, the battery voltage is always low. Checked at the battery numerous times with an expensive, very accurate Fluke multimeter, at the 12V socket with a cheap plug in voltmeter; always tallying very closely . e.g 12.11 vs 12.1V

No problem according to the dealer, they say charging is fine and the battery is fine according to their Volvo testing software. If I use a smart charger the at rest voltage for a while is normal ( 12.83V or thereabouts; at the battery and at the socket). The dealer says that measuring the voltage at the 12V socket is meaningless as it's not directly connected to the battery, the power comes via a module. They also say the low voltage is due to the Volvo charge control being "very clever", only charging just enough (= a stupid system if that is the case in my opinion !). I don't believe it really, but Volvo UK concur with the dealer.

It's never failed to start, but I carry a Li-ion jump start pack now at all times just in case. I shouldn't need top really with a 12,000 mile car.

A 120 mile motorway drive today in daylight. Voltage now is 12.2V ! "Normal", really ? I don't think so !

Last edited by GrahamHR; Apr 15th, 2019 at 22:31.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 11:02   #15
Electronix12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
It's never failed to start, but I carry a Li-ion jump start pack now at all times just in case. I shouldn't need top really with a 12,000 mile car.

A 120 mile motorway drive today in daylight. Voltage now is 12.2V ! "Normal", really ? I don't think so !
Quite clearly it is OK if it’s never failed to start..!

Does yours have stop start? I assume so. If that’s working OK then it is fine.

The voltage isn’t higher because, at-least on my car, that it holds it at about 90% charge state such that the albeit small amount of regenerative braking can occur.
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 12:23   #16
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
Interesting.
I now have a CTEK Battery Sense on my 2009 Volvo XC90.
I have been logging and graphing State of Charge for a few weeks now
My battery, when 100% charged, after resting for 8 hours (overnight), shows 12.8V
After a week of no use, just sitting in the garage, where the CTEK Battery Sense says it is down to 80%, it's still showing >12.6V

Anyway, you have a different generation vehicle, who knows what Volvo changed?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 16:47   #17
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronix12 View Post
Quite clearly it is OK if it’s never failed to start..!

Does yours have stop start? I assume so. If that’s working OK then it is fine.

It doesn't have "stop start", so just one (big) battery
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 15:56   #18
Mike Arnold
Master Member

Changed the battery and not had the warning since. Incidentally, despite some on-line lookup tables saying that it uses a type 096 it turns out that mine has a type 110. Always worth double checking as I have previously had parts suppliers saying that X will fit my car and when you try it is the wrong part.