Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best place to tap 12v for a USB adapter

Views : 807

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 13:43   #1
Bejam

Default Best place to tap 12v for a USB adapter

Hi All.

2011 XC70 D3 here. I've put a Tom Tom centrally in the windscreen and it's USB cable tracks neatly around under the windscreen to just behind the plastic dash end cap where the dash meets the door (it can go either to driver or passenger side).

Can anyone please recommend an easy wire to tap 12v for a USB power supply?

Ideally, one that cuts out after a period of time, once the ignition is switched off.

Cheers,

Ben.
Bejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 13:02   #2
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Your best bet probably is from the internal fuze box that normally is mounted hidden under the dashboard at about knee height. On my S80 there is one on the passenger side and hopefully your XC70 is similar. Look at your handbook and you should be able to identify a fuze for an item that is switched live/off with the ignition. You can tap 12v from that using one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-A...cAAOSwIYpckVWo

That gets you a 12v positive lead. Of course you will also need to run a ground (earth) lead that you can also get from the fuze box and connect them with your TomTom lead.

If you are not happy playing about with fuze boxes and connecting leads etc, then test your rear passenger 12v socket. That is the old cigarette lighter type. On my S80 that is switched live/off with the ignition. If yours is the same, then by using a USB adapter from that socket you could take a long USB socket extension cable (say 3m) forward, tucked under the centre tunnel armrest and then across under the carpet to meet up with your TomTom cable at the dash end cap. See:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-USB-..._1lhXfIya9iBHw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-LONG-U...cz4iS9Ez87vIjA

You may also have a 12v and a USB socket in the cubby under the centre armrest that you could use with a shorter extension lead? But I think they are permanently live. It is not great to have auxiliary equipment permanently connected and drawing even a residual current. Over time that can lead to low battery warnings and other strange things!
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.

Last edited by andyg; Apr 6th, 2019 at 13:26.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andyg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 14:16   #3
Bejam

Thanks Andy. I wasn't aware of piggy back fuse taps like that - very useful to know. In the meantime, after some head scratching, I tapped off the glovebox light, which proved to be a timed on/off as well - it goes off after 2 mins of locking the car, but also wakes up the sat nav as soon as I unlock it.

It seems to be OK for now, but I think that fuse tap may prove to be a better long term solution.

Ben.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg View Post
Your best bet probably is from the internal fuze box that normally is mounted hidden under the dashboard at about knee height. On my S80 there is one on the passenger side and hopefully your XC70 is similar. Look at your handbook and you should be able to identify a fuze for an item that is switched live/off with the ignition. You can tap 12v from that using one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-A...cAAOSwIYpckVWo

That gets you a 12v positive lead. Of course you will also need to run a ground (earth) lead that you can also get from the fuze box and connect them with your TomTom lead.

If you are not happy playing about with fuze boxes and connecting leads etc, then test your rear passenger 12v socket. That is the old cigarette lighter type. On my S80 that is switched live/off with the ignition. If yours is the same, then by using a USB adapter from that socket you could take a long USB socket extension cable (say 3m) forward, tucked under the centre tunnel armrest and then across under the carpet to meet up with your TomTom cable at the dash end cap. See:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-USB-..._1lhXfIya9iBHw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-LONG-U...cz4iS9Ez87vIjA

You may also have a 12v and a USB socket in the cubby under the centre armrest that you could use with a shorter extension lead? But I think they are permanently live. It is not great to have auxiliary equipment permanently connected and drawing even a residual current. Over time that can lead to low battery warnings and other strange things!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bejam For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 09:08   #4
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
wakes up the sat nav as soon as I unlock it
It? Just for clarity, unlock the glove box or the car or the ignition?

You need to select a fuse that provides current when the ignition is turned on. The TomTom can be set to switch on when it receives the charging current.

Might I also suggest that you mount the device in the lower right corner of the windscreen where its touch screen falls to hand more easily, doesn't obstruct any meaningful forward view and is closest to your line of sight while not taking your eyes off the road. That is the more ergonomic placing. Central mounting is to do with unnecessary symmetry but not ergonomics.

Last edited by Tatsfield; Apr 9th, 2019 at 09:14.
Tatsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 10:36   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejam View Post
Hi All.

2011 XC70 D3 here. I've put a Tom Tom centrally in the windscreen and it's USB cable tracks neatly around under the windscreen to just behind the plastic dash end cap where the dash meets the door (it can go either to driver or passenger side).

Can anyone please recommend an easy wire to tap 12v for a USB power supply?

Ideally, one that cuts out after a period of time, once the ignition is switched off.

Cheers,

Ben.
The professional place to take this feed from is the wires under the 12v Power socket , that is where volvo tap in for their accessories .
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 12:44   #6
Bejam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
It? Just for clarity, unlock the glove box or the car or the ignition?
When I unlock the car. The glovebox light circuit is configured to wake up when the car is unlocked. It goes to sleep a couple of minutes or so after locking the car.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 12:50   #7
Bejam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The professional place to take this feed from is the wires under the 12v Power socket , that is where volvo tap in for their accessories .
I was struggling to work out how to extract the rubber grommets that cover the screws between the binnacle and the gear-lever cover trim, so that's why I went for the glovebox light as a temporary measure.

I've ordered a fusebox tap, further to the advice further up. I think this might be an elegant solution. The Tom Tom USB supply isn't drawing a huge current and I've put a dedicated USB supply, made from butchering and soldering a regular 12v USB adapter, behind the dash end cap, so it's only going to be used for the TomTom.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 12:55   #8
Bejam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Might I also suggest that you mount the device in the lower right corner of the windscreen where its touch screen falls to hand more easily, doesn't obstruct any meaningful forward view and is closest to your line of sight while not taking your eyes off the road. That is the more ergonomic placing. Central mounting is to do with unnecessary symmetry but not ergonomics.
Er, no. I'm quite happy with where I've placed it - and prefer to let my passenger fiddle with it, rather than me. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :-)
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 11:09   #9
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
As ever Clan's advice is spot on! Indeed I have an aftermarket DAB radio in the boot of my S80 where the power is tapped from the back of the passenger compartment 12v socket. All cables hidden away and it works very well, with no residual current drain etc. The original OP was looking to mount his satnav on the windscreen so that is why I suggested the front fuze compartment just to reduce long cable runs. However, there is more scope for problems playing around with fuze boxes compared to taking a simple tap from an existing socket.
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 16:22   #10
mhon72
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejam View Post
I was struggling to work out how to extract the rubber grommets that cover the screws between the binnacle and the gear-lever cover trim, so that's why I went for the glovebox light as a temporary measure.

I've ordered a fusebox tap, further to the advice further up. I think this might be an elegant solution. The Tom Tom USB supply isn't drawing a huge current and I've put a dedicated USB supply, made from butchering and soldering a regular 12v USB adapter, behind the dash end cap, so it's only going to be used for the TomTom.
The rubber grommets are attached to a plastic base which clips into the console to cover those mounting screw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (24.3 KB, 13 views)