Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

FOR SALE - 1997 Volvo S90 3litre 204bhp auto

Views : 6383

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2023, 19:33   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Default FOR SALE - 1997 Volvo S90 3litre 204bhp auto

My 1997 Volvo S90 will be going up for sale shortly, and I thought I'd start by testing the waters on here before heading for Ebay and Autotrader.

1997 S90 3litre 204bhp automatic saloon, in Nautic Blue pearlescent with cream leather interior.
  • 137,000 miles.
  • One previous owner, from new until 2018, then mine since then. I've done a little under 50,000 miles in the car. The car still has its dealer sticker and number plates.
  • MOT until the end of November 2023, with no advisories.
  • In my ownership new front wishbones have been fitted, new front callipers, new brake pads all round, new handbrake shoes, and most recently a brand new Nissens radiator.
  • The car starts and drives with no issues.

The interior is pretty good, very clean, with a little of the characteristic door car wrinkling, but not excessive. The drivers seat is worn around the bolster, all the other seats are in superb condition. The car is pretty much original:
  • Beautiful wood-rimmed steering wheel in very good condition
  • Glass tilt and slide sunroof, which works fine.
  • Original Volvo radio cassette player, with wiring for a CD changer in the boot.
  • Original Volvo overmats in excellent condition.
  • Air conditioning which does run cool, but isn't as cold as it was last year. I'm tempted to say a recharge is probably all that's needed!
  • Original alloy wheels, with good tyres, and an unmarked full size alloy spare.
  • Electrically heated and adjustable mirrors.
  • Heated front seats.

Externally the bodywork is pretty good and it polishes up well, bearing in mind that it is almost 27 years old.

The engine ticks over smoothly and drives effortlessly, the gearbox works as it should. There are no obvious fluid leaks and no untoward noises. The car came to me with a fully stamped service book, and I've changed the oil myself each year since then. The car uses no oil between changes.

For someone looking for a "usable modern classic" with some scope for improvement this car certainly fits the bill, if you've a taste for a super-smooth 3litre straight six automatic.

It will be for sale because I'm starting a new job in a couple of months time which will involve a 60-mile per day commute. I will need to change the S90 for something a little more frugal. I have topped 30mpg on a run, but realistically the car averages around 25mpg in daily use. As a family we could do with an estate car, and so will be looking for a newer V70 or XC70.

Price wise, I'll be looking for something around the £1750 mark. Do you think it's saleable, and am I being realistic in my price expectations?

Thanks

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo S90 (1).jpg (171.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo S90 (2).jpg (223.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo S90 (3).jpg (181.9 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo S90 (6).jpg (140.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo S90 (4).jpg (186.8 KB, 102 views)
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 21:03   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I think that it is eminently saleable, 'capt jack'. I also think that it most certainly will not linger at your suggested asking price. It is exactly what Linda was looking for to replace her ailing 744 some years ago. Unfortunately, no suitable examples being available at the time, she bought her present Saab 9000 V6 3.0 litre. I have shown her your post and, had she not done so, she says that she
would have jumped at your S90.

Not that I think you will need it, but good luck with the sale anyway!

Regards, John.
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 21:40   #3
griston64
Premier Member

Lovely car and well saleable ( as you put it ) at that price !
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 22:29   #4
GingerMagic

I have to admit I was surprised at your asking price after reading your honest and informative details.

I should think your car will comfortably fetch your asking price.

Good luck with the sale

Kelv
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 19:00   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

Thanks everyone - the considered input is much appreciated.

I think what I'll do is give the car a good clean and polish, maybe get the aircon re-gassed, and advertise on Bay for £1950 ono, and see what happens. I'm in no rush - the new job doesn't start for a couple of months yet.

Of course, should anyone on here spot this thread and be interested the price will be as per the original post.

In the meantime I've started the search for a suitable replacement. It'll be a Volvo of course, and I'm taken, for different reasons, with an S60 or S80 (the earlier models in particular), or a V70 or XC70 (inclining towards the 2000-2007 models).

I think it'll need to be diesel, unless I can be convinced that the petrol engined versions of any of the above can reliably top 40mpg!

I'm not keen on the newer model S60, but wouldn't rule out the newer model of the S80, V70 or XC70. However, my feeling is that the older models, with less in the way of complex electronics, would be the safer bet from a long-term reliability viewpoint.

Thanks again

Cheers

Jack
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 18:59   #6
Roderick Plinge

Cool EBay?

Lovely car, far too good for eBay. I’ve purchased cars through eBay and I’ve sold one or two through the platform but in all honesty I find it attracts absolute idiots. To me, eBay now appears to be made up of classified adverts by dealers asking lunatic prices for cars. Love listing a car on there that eventually has 120 watchers and not one single enquiry or question asked. Look at the number of cars sold and sold and sold again as a consequence of buyers not turning up.
Roderick Plinge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roderick Plinge For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 18:05   #7
calif123

Default S90 for sale?

Hi,
I was wondering if the S90 is still for sale?
Thanks
Laythe
(Sorry cannot message as just joined
calif123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calif123 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 22:53   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

v70 euro 3 d5 face lift would be my advise all the earlier problems with the dim and auto box fixed no dpf or swirl flaps to worry about . there are load of these cars which have attained 300k+ mileage and can return 50 mpg plus on a run . what's not to like. but i might be biased because i have one .

Last edited by Simmy; Apr 21st, 2023 at 22:59.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2023, 23:17   #9
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Definitely for sale!

Well the deed is done and a newer V70 D5 is heading for our driveway, which means that my S90 is now most definitely up for sale and available.

With apologies to Calif123 - I missed your earlier message. I will try to send you a PM.

If anyone here who would be interested please feel free to get in touch.

The S90 is pretty good for its 26 years, and for someone in the market for some old school Volvo charm it has to be worth a closer look.

It is what it is, a big old beast with a big 3 litre 204bhp engine, a gem for those who like old RWD Volvos!

The mileage is currently 138500, and for the next week or so it'll still be used, perhaps adding another 200 miles. After that I'll keep it taxed and insured until it's sold.

The only other thing that's changed since my first post is the remote locking, which has suddenly stopped working. The central locking works fine with the key, but the remote no longer works. I've tried new batteries but to no avail.

I'll be taking some more pictures over the weekend, and then hitting the classifieds.

As per the original post, I'll offer the car at £1750 for the forum.

Thanks

Jack
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2023, 18:50   #10
capt jack
VOC Member

Default More pictures

More pictures, taken this morning.

I'll add some shots of the interior next.

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P740 NS FQ LR.jpg (305.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg P740 OSFQ LR.jpg (284.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P740 NS FULL LR.jpg (215.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg P740 INTERIOR NSR LR.jpg (217.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg P740 ENGINE BAY LR.jpg (314.7 KB, 37 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: