Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 GL Driver Door Hinge

Views : 454

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2023, 20:48   #1
crcowley

Question 240 GL Driver Door Hinge

Good Evening All,

On Sunday I went out to do a particular job on my 240 GL, and quickly ended up dealing with another unknown issue altogether!!! I'm sure you have all been there!

I discovered a large amount of rust behind the glued on card panel to cover the driver door hinges (see photograph). I am hoping that this is just confined to the lower tie piece of metal below the hinge itself, but cannot be sure. I did remove the three bolts from the hinge (once I had supported the door!) and the triangular plate also became free. The bolts in turn go into a square plate which in turn go through the panel into the hinge. I would like to remove the square plate so I can clean behind it, but it won't shift......does anyone know if this is actually welded on, or in this case rusted on???!!! Also, would anyone have advice on how critical the lower tie bar across the hinge channel is....this has pretty much disintegrated, and I don't have any welding facilities/equipment.

As always, any knowledgeable advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Charles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20231022_122458.jpg (206.8 KB, 22 views)
crcowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2023, 18:22   #2
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

The rusty plates mentioned are welded to the "A" post:~
The cars being well engineered will survive one being damaged in this area providing the main structure isn't adversely affected.

I would clean the area as best you can to make sure that the existing rust is treated: phosphoric based treatments are good and then paint.
After the above is done coat this area with a wax preventative (do both sides of the car as you may have the same problem)

The likely cause is a leaking windscreen (see previous posts relating to the two hidden drain holes) this design allows water to run/drip behind the screen and then onto a body lip/structure that moves water behind the card trim panels: normally sealed with Dum Dum mastic so most travels into the "A" post unseen.
Once the above is completed keep a check on it- not a lot can be done from under the dashboard but when the screen is wet you may see water tracking towards the post area- the two drain holes are better plugged when the screen is removed.
Hope it helps.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2023, 09:40   #3
crcowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
The rusty plates mentioned are welded to the "A" post:~
The cars being well engineered will survive one being damaged in this area providing the main structure isn't adversely affected.

I would clean the area as best you can to make sure that the existing rust is treated: phosphoric based treatments are good and then paint.
After the above is done coat this area with a wax preventative (do both sides of the car as you may have the same problem)

The likely cause is a leaking windscreen (see previous posts relating to the two hidden drain holes) this design allows water to run/drip behind the screen and then onto a body lip/structure that moves water behind the card trim panels: normally sealed with Dum Dum mastic so most travels into the "A" post unseen.
Once the above is completed keep a check on it- not a lot can be done from under the dashboard but when the screen is wet you may see water tracking towards the post area- the two drain holes are better plugged when the screen is removed.
Hope it helps.
Bob.
Many thanks indeed for you advice, Bob......having cleared out the rust particles from the damaged cross piece, I have treated the rust and will take your advice to paint it. I have actually just received tins of primer, undercoat and top coat (code 173 Red in my case) from Paintman Paint Ltd, which I can apply with a small brush.....I have mainly bought it to touch up other rusty patches in the engine bay.

The very first thing I did at the start of this project was to clean out the sills via a hose taped to a vacuum cleaner through the interior holes sealed with the plastic bungs.......a great tip recommended by another user, Nick Lewin,,,,all sorts of debris came out that had collected over the years. I noticed that there is a hole at the bottom of the door hinge channel to allow water to fall through to the sill, which had become blocked due to the rust fragments.
The Following User Says Thank You to crcowley For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2023, 10:18   #4
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Hi Charles:~
Quite a strange design I think and one that needs to be serviced from time to time.
Cleaning the debris out from the inner sills is always worthwhile- check the drain holes as well along the full length of the sill.
Once done spray the inside of sills with a wax treatment, fronts and back are the venerable points.
(Diluting wax with clean engine oil helps it creep)

A further point on the "A" post is checking that your wiring boot/grommet is sealing properly, a smallish through bolt for the dashboard can be seen here and again worth checking no water can enter the posts etc.
Good luck.
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2023, 12:33   #5
crcowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Hi Charles:~
Quite a strange design I think and one that needs to be serviced from time to time.
Cleaning the debris out from the inner sills is always worthwhile- check the drain holes as well along the full length of the sill.
Once done spray the inside of sills with a wax treatment, fronts and back are the venerable points.
(Diluting wax with clean engine oil helps it creep)

A further point on the "A" post is checking that your wiring boot/grommet is sealing properly, a smallish through bolt for the dashboard can be seen here and again worth checking no water can enter the posts etc.
Good luck.
Regards Bob.
Great advice, Bob - I'll check & do all of that. Many thanks indeed.
The Following User Says Thank You to crcowley For This Useful Post: