Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV444 wins 1957 Petit Lemans at Lime Rock!

Views : 85847

Replies : 281

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2020, 12:13   #221
Derek UK
VOC Member

That looked to be a very nice Autumn drive. Nice 1952 Lancia Aurelia B21 Saloon (?) you could buy about 4 PV's for the cost of that. About £30k.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 16:37   #222
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
George, very sad to read your sad news. Please accept my condolences. Enjoy your drive if you can, it's a time when you can do lots of thinking about good times past.
Take care. Stay safe.
My philosophy in life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGUsRGuZb6k
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 22:47   #223
Derek UK
VOC Member

That inspired a small tear. Play it again Sam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p_JxDGVqXg
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 02:03   #224
blueosprey90
Master Member

Well Arcturus, I don't know what to say. I am saddened for your loss. I know it is better to have a copilot that you can talk to even if she has you turned around half the time. The seat is empty, but I hope that you have good memories of trips gone by that will bring you happiness - and that you can still have a chat with the old girl once in a while. I can't imagine how hard it might be. Keep to the road, look forward to what's around the next bend and remember that life is for the living - so keep at it.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 12:26   #225
blueosprey90
Master Member

'57 PV444, B16B engine.

I have no idea whether the engine or transmission are original to the car. Supposedly the car came with a 3 speed transmission, but my transmission is a 4 speed.

My transmission is marked

Type – Det Nr – Tillv Nr
M3 254160 – 1450
Marked #656552 on top

So the confusing thing is why is it marked M3 when it is a 4 speed.

This Amazon site has a lot of information about the Amazon engines and drive train. http://www.volvoamazonpictures.se/po...powertrain.php

It states "In February 1958 the first Amazons with the new and fully synchronized four geared gearbox are produced. It is initially labeled M3 but this is changed just in time for the introduction (but some shop literature had already been printed with references to M3). M stands for manual and 4 indicate the number of gears. The M4 is fitted in both Volvo Amazon and Volvo Amazon Sport.

The Amazon gearbox part number is 254161 whereas the PV444 gearbox part number appears to be 254160. As was the case with the Amazon gearbox, mine is labeled M3, not M4 - but it is definitely a M4, although not synchronized in 1st.

I'm not sure what "Tilly Nr" means, but I suspect it is the transmission's serial number. My number at 1450 would suggest that it is an early box.

There is an October 1958 Volvo service bulletin (Group 400, No A44, Gearbox, M4) that calls for some modifications due to oil leaks for gearbox part numbers # 254160 and 254161. I'm thinking this means that the gearboxes are the same unit, only with a different part number because one is in the PV and one is in the Amazon.

The service bulletin refers to serial numbers, and for the 254160 transmission records a change from boxes with serial numbers after 9133 and then another modification at serial number 12746.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tsb55-6...p400-NoA44.pdf
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 13:09   #226
blueosprey90
Master Member

It's cold and we've already had 8 inches of snow!

The PV is tucked away in the garage with no winter prep nor with the oil change that I had planned to do. On Christmas Eve, I dug out the 6 volt trickle charger and put that on the battery. Plan is to make a push to finish the MGA engine reinstallation with hopes of showing the PV some love in the new year.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 03:39   #227
blueosprey90
Master Member

I took the PV to Upstate, New York (USA) for a drive last September. This was in the Adirondacks, a vast area where about half of the land is in forest preserve, another 25% is owned by the lumber companies and about 25% is privately owned.

I had hours of footage, but edited the first half of the drive down a bit. For what it's worth.

https://youtu.be/PP1jA7V3sxA?t=1

Last edited by blueosprey90; Jan 12th, 2021 at 03:42.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 04:40   #228
c1800
Master Member

Nice ride! My sister lived in New Milford for years. Beautiful country. Does your steering box need some adjustment?
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 13:06   #229
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

A very enjoyable video. I know as drivers we tend to get used to our worn steering boxes but it does look as if there might be room for a little bit of tightening down on the adjustment. Might be less than a 1/4 turn would help. Don't over do it though. Car looks great. 3 speed box?
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 14:13   #230
blueosprey90
Master Member

The steering is a bit loose, but it is nothing like some other cars I've driven.

I actually thought it was more the age of my tires. They are old enough to vote!

I'll see if I can tighten it up come spring.

4 speed box, but marked M3. Transmission cover mangled for fit. See posts #80 and #90 https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=279014&page=8
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post: