Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ailing Nirvomats?

Views : 613

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2018, 13:00   #1
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default Ailing Nirvomats?

I'm pretty certain my car must have Nirvomats at the back, or something similar. The kind that have an external spring for part of their length?

I noticed today when fetching 5 heavy bags of compost that the back end seemed rather low. Even after driving for a bit it had only pumped itself up a bit, and still looked sagged. I'm sure in the past it would indeed self-level virtually to normal ride height.
When I unloaded the bags and rocked the suspension a bit the level rose by about 1 1/2 ".

Presumably this indicates the shock absorbers are ailing? They still pass the bounce test, and the recent MOT, but don't seem to self-level any more.
Also they have developed a squeak when standing still.

I'm aware that Nirvomats go with special softer springs, so can't just be changed for ordinary shock absorbers, but are they really worthwhile? I've several spare ordinary springs so wondered about using those and just getting standard (much cheaper?) shocks?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 13:15   #2
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

As far as I can tell, when nivomats fail its ££££, unless you can find a used pair at sensible dosh you are far better off with standard shocks.
Of course, if you do heavy towing or use the car as a builders van then the nivos are the better choice. Break open the piggy bank.
Old May 14th, 2018, 14:16   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It sounds like you have extra load shocks like these https://www.classicswede.co.uk/200_s..._18244872.aspx

rather than Nivo's.

They don't self level, they just take more to compress
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 17:00   #4
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

If you remove them and go for normal springs and shocks, you'll also probably not have a rear anti roll bar fitted.

I have a rear ARB with brackets in my stash of stuff if you need one.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 20:03   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Until very recently the car could take a heavy load without sagging, or rather it did but pumped itself up the moment it got under way. Now it only levels with ordinary loads. So I presume that means it must have Nirvomats, or something that serves the same function. Does that mean I can assume the springs are the softer kind, so will need changing if I swap to ordinary shocks? How could I tell - do they look different?

It's got an ARB, thanks Antz, I fitted it a few years ago.
Old May 14th, 2018, 20:28   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Nivo's have large body and are upside down with the body at the top and piston at the bottom.

The extra load shocks have the coil spring around them as per link.

If there was no rear ARB that does suggest Nivo's in which case you need to replace springs and shocks
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:29   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

OK, got it now, I've had a closer look. They are the ordinary thickness but are upside down. What I'd remembered as a small spring is actually convoluted rubber disintegrated into separate rings.
So they do seem to be self-levelling type of some kind, so presumably do have the softer springs. If they are not then either way it needs new springs, because they sag under heavy load either from weakened springs or from failed "Nivos" which deliberately use weaker springs.

I don't commonly carry heavy loads so don't think need the extra-load shocks, I'll just get standard and fit my spare springs which I know to be good.

Many thanks.
Old May 26th, 2018, 09:15   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Checking on my stock of springs removed from previously dismantled vehicles, I find a choice of 3 different pairs:

42 cm long, 8 free coil turns, blue splash of paint, 12.5 mm wire

43 cm long, 8 free turns, no markings, 13.0 mm wire

43 cm long, 8 free turns, no markings, 14.0 mm wire.

All have come off estate versions, but I can't remember which.

Am I correct that the first are saloon, used in a light-load estate, second are normal estate, and the third are heavy-duty estate?

Which should I fit? I don't normally carry heavy loads, only occasionaly. Would the thicker ones be too hard for normal use?
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 18:22   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I've fitted the medium-wire pair, with standard shocks. The ride height unloaded is an inch higher, and they don't sag if I sit on the boot lip.

It's interesting that the old springs have both thinner wire and only 7 free turns of coil instead of 8. Uncompressed they are the same length as the new. So it's obvious how much depends on the shock absorbers themselves providing suspension lift. Mine had none at all - the plunger just pulls in and out easily and does nothing.