Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What makes a "British" car?

Views : 2879

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2018, 15:19   #11
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Oh, well if Henry said it, it must be true ..... and you have the gall to suggest I'm naive?

Back on topic, my point was that Ford isn't, wasn't, never has been and never will be British.
This is fact and I have no idea why you're challenging it.
Ok.

Why don't you make a contribution.

Make a post giving your definition of British within the context of the OPs question ?

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 15:41   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Ok.

Why don't you make a contribution.

Make a post giving your definition of British within the context of the OPs question ?
Because regardless of how British-ness is defined, any suggestion would be anomalous.
British built will include foreign marques and British marques will include being either foreign built or having foreign major components or foreign designed or foreign owned etc.

In short, the thread poses a simple question to which there is no simple answer.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 16:59   #13
ITSv40
VOC Member

Even that most quintessential British marque, Rolls-Royce used foreign parts and designs.

The mechanical brake servo fitted in 1907 was a Hispano Suiza design manufactured and used under licence - incidentally it remained in production and was fitted to all R-R models until 1965. Also General Motors automatic gearboxes were fitted from 1946.

Henry Royce's mantra was: take someone else's design and make it better.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 20:19   #14
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Triumphs from the 1960s and early 1970s?
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 20:54   #15
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
Triumphs from the 1960s and early 1970s?
They were pretty much 100% British, British built by British workers with British components made by British firms and workers. My Mother had a Stag engined Triumph estate car back in the day, very nice it was too.

A friend of hers had a Vitesse convertible.

Jon.

N.B someone might object to designed by an Italian !

Last edited by Prufrock; Jun 13th, 2018 at 21:15. Reason: addition (N.B)
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 21:00   #16
Dippydog
Premier Member

I suppose really the closest we'll have come was the BL[or whatever they were calling themselves on any given day]with their A,B and C series engines etc.Of course Ford have always been American,but from their setting up shop in Manchester[and later Dagenham etc]we sort of adopted them as British.Same with Vauxhall although they were British at the start-then partly,then wholly American owned and now of course French owned.It is interesting to see how since the takeover of Vauxhall by PSA that all their adverts feature the line "Great British Brand Since 1903" Renault 4s were at one time made in Ireland,Citroens were built in Slough and a MkIII Cortina I used to drive was built in Belgium from parts supplied by Britain basically you pays your money and takes your choice.Oh and of course Volvos own P1800 was in the early stages built in Britain by Jensen,but quality was iffy to say the least hence Volvo moving production back to Sweden and adding the "S" to the model name.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 21:07   #17
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

British Leyland (BLMC) was formed 50 years ago and pretty much defunct 20 years later.

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jun 13th, 2018 at 21:14.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 21:14   #18
Dippydog
Premier Member

You'll get no argument on that from me Prufrock,and nearly as many reasons for it going wrong as there were marques under the BLMC banner.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 21:16   #19
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
You'll get no argument on that from me Prufrock,and nearly as many reasons for it going wrong as there were marques under the BLMC banner.
There'll always be detractors - sadly.

Jon.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 21:26   #20
Dippydog
Premier Member

Quick summary from memory I've had a mini,Rover P6,2 SD1s and an Ambassador from their "stable" The P6 was the better built the SD1s were good cars but lacked build quality,the Ambassador was a lot better than people gave it credit for and the mini was well a mini[although I still think the Imp was a better car] Rootes group cars could be considered contenders under the "British car" heading until taken over by first Chrysler and then Peugeot[?]