Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Freebie Amazon project

Views : 19950

Replies : 164

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2012, 19:45   #121
Derek UK
VOC Member

Cool

I think it would be best to get back on track and concentrate on YOUR repair. This one, for all it's faults, did manage to last for 11 years which is longer than many cars running around then have done. It did take you a while to find and that was through poor alignment rather than obvious rust out etc.

It will be good to see you fitting a complete new rear wing, a very rare job nowdays. Reminding yourself of Jon's repair will help, even though that was a 4 door.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 20:08   #122
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Wise words Derek... It's not going to be a straightforward job, but at least with the tension released from the mis-aligned panels I'll be able to work my way down from the top and get it right. Finding accurate datum points might be tricky and I'll have to do a whole lot of measuring and comparing. I've cut out most of the old wing now, having removed the rear screen. Looks like there'll be a bit of work needed on the rear screen aperture too...
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 20:49   #123
222s
Amazoniste

Would a chassis alignment diagram be of any help?

There's a chassis number cut-off that differentiates the two saloon ones - wasn't sure which would apply to your car (I also included the estate one should anyone else need it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120 & 130 Alignment 1.jpg (178.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 120 & 130 Alignment 2.jpg (197.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 220 Alignment.jpg (197.3 KB, 22 views)

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 21:13   #124
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Thanks Paul. Your resourcefulness knows no bounds!
The measurements at the rear in the centre diagram could prove very useful and save me quite some time.
I think I can see a way where I can get the car set up with some decent datum points and take some measurements.
With the chassis tweaked back in it's proper place on the RHS there may be some adjustment needed at the bulkhead area if the scuttle panel has been pushed up slightly. I hope this is not the case as it will be a lot more of a faff to sort, but some accurate measurements will show it up. I'll have ago tomorrow...
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 10:44   #125
Carlsson 986

Well I must take my hat off to you Gordon for the conscientious approach that you have taken to this project. I've just read through the whole post - I mean I've been working extremely hard today - and I am sure that my spanners would have long been thrown into the air before now!

You and your colleagues provide the best information and skill levels that I have come across, and as a rule, not a bad word to be said about anyone, and that, in my opinion for what it's worth, is what a club should be about.

I am taking very small steps with my first Amazon at the moment but this is fantastic. Highest regards,

Ric
Carlsson 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carlsson 986 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 18:42   #126
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

That's the old wing gone, so I'm committed now! I'll take delivery of the new one in a couple of weeks. Until then I'm going to be busy with work. If anyone can help me source a half decent rear panel in the meantime then I'd be much obliged...

001.jpg

Some repairs needed to the screen aperture...

002.jpg

Inner sill looks relatively good (certainly compared to the other side)...

003.jpg
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 20:09   #127
simonvolvo

I have been following this thread with amazement.

Hats off! You are clearly a very skilled man.

However, there is something that intrigues me about the latest developments. No doubt because I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to bodywork.

Could you explain to me why (apparently) you considered a replacement wing to be the only solution to your latest problem. Having seen your earlier repairs / fabricated parts I would have thought that for you to repair the wing would have been a piece of cake.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 22:49   #128
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Hi Simon,

The problem was that the old repair section had been welded on squint as the chassis / rear panel had not been straightened before instalation to line it up correctly. If you look at the previous picture with the boot lid open, you can see just how squint the back end all was .The wheel arch and sill sections were also rotten through.
Too expensive in terms of time to repair and very hard to correct the misaligned repair section without an original reference
Being the correct dimensions, the new wing will provide a more cost effective and original reference point to align the panels. .
Hope this explains things.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Hunter; Jun 15th, 2012 at 22:53.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 14:43   #129
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

It's amazing what turns up on your own doorstep! Sitting in a breakers yard not 2 miles from my own front door was a terminal Amazon with a good rear panel on it!
I am very grateful to Derek for drawing my attention to a post by 'Benzine' who very kindly removed the rear bumper first for me to make the job of cutting out the rear panel easier!
Once the new O/S rear wing arrives I will have everything I need to get the back end looking really good with proper panel gaps. Well, all I need that is apart from the time to do the job...

New rear panel.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 18:28   #130
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Well done! Did take any other bits? Odd bits of trim always useful. Side strips?

Last edited by Derek UK; Jun 18th, 2012 at 18:30. Reason: Addition
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote