Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First Volvo

Views : 728

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:37   #1
Mission

Smile First Volvo

Hi

Well the last car I thought I would own over the years would be a volvo

I have always had Vauxhalls in the past 20 plus years upto the Calibra which I loved. But it has to go due to needing an estate and four doors. I could of gone Vectra estate but was turned by the nice looks of the V40 and what alot of extra equipment you get for your money.

So this week picked up a V40 CDi on a "P" plate and love it. All those luxurys such as Climate control and interior lights that come on when you unlock the car. Not used to things like that. And a bonus CD changer in the boot.

Anyway I'm a convert.

Just a few things to do like the carpets are a mess because they are a light colour. And the leather seats have a few scuffs in them so need to get a repair kit when I find the "colour name" of them. They are a tan colour ?

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have many questions as time goes by.

Cheers

Tone
Mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 12:09   #2
Weezy

Hi & to the club Tone
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 14:02   #3
stevo48
Premier Member

Welcome to Volvo ownership, I hope your new purchase will give you many trouble free years of motoring.
Has the car got service history, how many miles has it done and when did it last have the timing belt changed??
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 17:15   #4
Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo48 View Post
Welcome to Volvo ownership, I hope your new purchase will give you many trouble free years of motoring.
Has the car got service history, how many miles has it done and when did it last have the timing belt changed??

There's a gap in the service history between 46K and 100K so not sure if the Cam belt was even changed at 80K. Its on 129K so i better look at getting it changed.

I have done many cam belt, rollers, water pump changes on Vauxhalls. I haven't got a Haynes manual yet, so is it a similiar procedure ?

Cheers
Tone
Mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 20:52   #5
stevo48
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission View Post
There's a gap in the service history between 46K and 100K so not sure if the Cam belt was even changed at 80K. Its on 129K so i better look at getting it changed.

I have done many cam belt, rollers, water pump changes on Vauxhalls. I haven't got a Haynes manual yet, so is it a similiar procedure ?

Cheers
Tone
Similar , yes but can be a real pain due to the limited amount of space you have to work in, some special tools are also required hold and remove crankshaft pulley, get the belt done asap or it could break and possibly destroy your engine.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 03:14   #6
Weezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo48 View Post
Similar , yes but can be a real pain due to the limited amount of space you have to work in, some special tools are also required hold and remove crankshaft pulley, get the belt done asap or it could break and possibly destroy your engine.
If you dont have the special tool there is always "The rope trick"

Method 5: Rope Trick in Cylinder. [Another Bolt Removal Tip from Don Foster: The Rope Trick] Use nylon rope to jam the piston at TDC while you turn the crank pulley bolt. Be careful how you do this: you can damage the valves.

* Be absolutely certain you're at cylinder #1 TDC between the compression and power strokes. This way the valves will be closed. You can tell this by feeling compression pressure, using your finger, in the spark plug hole.
* Turn the crankshaft clockwise (facing the engine) about 1/4 to 1/3 turn. Stuff in about 2-3' of 1/4" soft rope - nylon or cotton clothesline should work.
* Turn the crank counter clockwise as to unscrew the pulley bolt. The rope compresses and jams the piston. Using a breaker bar, loosen and remove the bolt.
* To reassemble, use the same approach except stage the crankshaft about 1/4 to 1/3 turn counter clockwise from #1 TDC. Stuff in the rope. Turn the crank clockwise to compress the rope and jam the piston. Tighten and torque the center bolt following the torque and turn procedure.
* Remove the rope, install the plug.