Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

E85

Views : 997

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2009, 20:11   #1
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default E85

I know this is LPG Part but has anyone have any experience in converting to E85 bio fuel?

I can get hold of a full conversion in lue of some work done
Previous Volvos:850 GLT 2.5 20V Auto Saloon Silver. 1997 850 T-5 Auto Estate Nautic Blue Chipped ECU, V70 TCV, Carbon Cased Filter, 17inch alloys, Rattling Engine masking the suspension rattles. Engine doesn't rattle anymore
charlotte001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 21:00   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

why would you want to convert? There are no advantages even if you have a conversion done free ... What kind of conversion is it? There are a LOT of changes needed ... the fuel is very corrosive .
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 21:51   #3
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default E85

Thats the first I've ever heard of E85 being extremely corrosive as its mainly petrol with some bio fuel made from sugar beet and it is biodegradable in water so its mainly the water than does the damage and E85 may eat certain rubbers but so will petrol also burns cooler than petrol so the plugs will have to be changed. Why a conversion because I can same as a majority of members have a lot of volvos because they can.
Previous Volvos:850 GLT 2.5 20V Auto Saloon Silver. 1997 850 T-5 Auto Estate Nautic Blue Chipped ECU, V70 TCV, Carbon Cased Filter, 17inch alloys, Rattling Engine masking the suspension rattles. Engine doesn't rattle anymore
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 22:25   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

The reason i ask is that firstly the car will use 40% more E85 fuel than petrol which for a start makes it completely uneconomic as it is only slightly cheaper than petrol ..

If the engine is made specificly to run only on E85 by having a very high compressions ratio ( Like a GDI ) it will be more efficient .. but these dont exist yet .
The volvo flexi fuel will run on any combination of E85 and petrol .

The volvo Flexi-fuel has many modifications :
The fuel is corrosive so stainless steel pipes are used and special injectors which also have a much greater fuel flow to cope with the greater volumes of fuel being injected .
Different gasket materials are used where in contact with the fuel .
E85 is electricaly conductive which means a special fuel pump in the tank is needed .
The engine managment can detect the mix of petrol and E85 and adapt to suit ..
The contact between the fuel and any alluminuim and rubber must be eliminated .

so thats why i asked what advantage is there in using it apart from the emissions being much less but at a higher cost to you ...
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 22:42   #5
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default E85

Your thoughts are taken on board, I will need to do more research before I consider it and will carry on with a multi point LPG conversion for now.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 22:51   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

you will be better off on LPG for now until the government put the tax up like they did at the end of the 1980's . I was doing official Volvo LPG conversions from 1979 to 1985 , by the end of the 1980's it was uneconomic to do as the LPG fuel proces had risen too much ,
( i still have a 244 and 343 kit in the attic where i took them back off our families cars .) i can see it going the same way again now ... the fuel is said to be going up to £1.20 a litre , will the LPG follow or go up even more ?
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 10:50   #7
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
... the fuel is said to be going up to £1.20 a litre , will the LPG follow or go up even more ?
surely LPG will always be roughly half the price of petrol give or take a few pence?
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 21:33   #8
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default E85

Depends if the government continues in lala land and believes that we will be happy paying insane taxes on it. I think LPG will only remain low until 2015 then no doubt it will sky rocket as petrol has

Government has to repay the money that they gave to the banks for messing up