Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

conversion questions

Views : 1423

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2009, 13:29   #1
prisspringle

Default conversion questions

Hi guys.

Sadly i'm not doing this conversion on a volvo but my e32 bmw 735, so please dont hold that against me.I have a few questions to ask some will probbly sound stupid.The kit i have is from a 535 of the same age, it is an emmegas kit with a 90ltr tank and is a single point kit.The emmegas website has the wiring diagrams for the Feedback control,switch.But the Emmulator is by Lovato and i can't find the diargrams anywhere so i'm having to guess.

Firsty is there any problems with my plans on how i'm going to run the fuel lines.

The filler point will be in the back bumper somewhere between the middle and the drivers side, it will go up throught the floor and right along behind the lights so they won't get pinched by things in the boot, up along the arch and then into the tank.i'm using 8mm polyflex pipe for this as is quick and easy and in a rear end shunt it will be flexable.

Front the tank to the vaporisor it will be coming out of the tank on the driverside then around the back of it over to the passenger side and through the floor,i was planning on putting the shut off valve somewhere inbetween as space under the car is tight,from here it will follow the fuel/brake lines into the engine bay.this will be with 6mm or 8mm copper pipe, my car is running around 220bhp and people say to use 8mm for over 190bhp but the lines into the shutoff valve is 6mm o/d as are the other lines i have, the only 8mm line is out of the filler!

Lastly does the shut off valve have a live in one side and earth out the other like on the vaporisor valves. The wires to and from this valve seem heavy duty, is this normal.I mistaked them for earth wires as there yellow and green. Also where the feed wire comes off the loom its soldered to wires that are from:

The emmulator,
The dash switch,
The feedback contol
And one that splits into 2 that go to the vaporisor.
Does that sound right?

many thanks,
Chris
prisspringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 20:20   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Chris,

the lovato emulator need gas live power to the blue wire and earth on the black. You then have a set of solid colured wires with matching spriped ones. Solids go to each injector and spripes are used as the return. Need need to splice these in between each earth wire on the injectors to break the signal to the petrol injectors.

From what you are saying about your fuel pipe run I think you have misunderstood what needs to be done. The pipes should only have a minmal length inside the car. Any gas pipe fitted to the car MUST be dual contained (covered with 30 mm vent pipe) and vented to outside. You need to get the outlet pipe out of the car as close to the tank as possible making sure teh pipe runs down hill all the way and again must be vented.

The shut off valve is live one side and earth the other. The coils sometime have the marks + & -, if they do they must be wired that way or they will blow. The inline solenoid should be mounted as close to the vapouriser as possible. You should have 3 coil sut offs 1 on the tank 1 inline and 1 on the vap and need to be wired together to the control system gas live.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 20:44   #3
prisspringle

i had a feeling there was a rule about getting the lines out of the car asap looks like i'll be running the fuel lines over the fuel tank then, i guess the same rule for the inlet pipe.i know about the 30mm vent pipe i've got a few meters of it waiting. the car has no injectors for the gas kit as it is a single point.

thanks thats cleared a few things up. it seems getting good clear information for diy fitting is just as hard as finding a good pro to do it!

have you had much experiance with lovato emulators?

cheers chris
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 18:14   #4
prisspringle

just been to look at the wiring for the emulator i have:

Black-earth
brown-switch
blue- live( with key )

i also have 3 more wires that i've got no matching wiring for:

Red, purple and black( i'd guess this is earth again?)

is there any chance you'd have a diagram for the wiring the simulator the model no.783027.

chris
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 06:49   #5
prisspringle

scratch that i found where they go, i can understand why i missed it,it was hiding in the main engine loom.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 20:47   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Never fitted lovato myself but had to sort out problems with enough of them.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 21:12   #7
prisspringle

hello again,

i've got everything fitted, soldered and mounted so i went on a drive to see want happened, the switch displays less than what the dial, one green bar that sometimes flashes on to red. i thought i might as well see if it will run on gas, i moved the switch to gas raised the revs to over 2500rpm and let it slow down and nothing no power no noise so i switch back to petrol and it ran again.

the only problems i have is other than the switch reading a different amount to the tank, the MAF sensor that i was given as part of the kit is duff'en so the bit are gonna get transfered over, this should have no effect tho.

theres no signs of a liquid in the fuel lines or a smell of gas.

any guesses on what could be up, air locked, sticky valves or a bad shut off valve ect.

EDIT: the person i bought the kit off said that when he removed the tank he heard it venting could the tank be low on pressure but not on the gas its self?

chris

Last edited by prisspringle; Aug 30th, 2009 at 21:20. Reason: added something
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 22:09   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

LPG systems do not have a MAF sensor. What is the part you are actualy on about?

Gas pressure is the same if full or almost empty.

Gas lines do'nt get air locked.

Make sure you are getting power to the tank coil. The soenoid should make a clicking sound. Also check that the manual shut off valve is open.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 22:23   #9
prisspringle

sorry i know the maf is nothing to do with the lpg, just giving a full story. thought the pressure would be the same. to test the shut off valve can i bridge between the battery/12v live and the pos side of the valve?

which is the manual shut off valve?

chris
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:17   #10
prisspringle

rite just bridged the poss side of each valve, each one clicked nicely, i did them in order and no sign of any gas again, should i just try filling the tank with 5quids worth of gas see if it wakes it up?

chris