Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre Problem

Views : 825

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 22:32   #1
Silver70

Hi all,

I am new and i drive an "r-reg" S70 2.5 20v with 175k on the clock!
There is only one problem i have with it and that is tyres! With the standard wheels, volvo put on perilli p6000 tyres and i seem to burn my way through them after about 8k!!!!

1) What is a good strong tyre for some who drives a car pretty hard?

2) Would i burn through less tyres if i had bigger wheels and and upgraded/lowered the suspension??

Many Thanx

Kevin Longland
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 22:52   #2
k690bpp

the ones u use are good but r u getting even wear alround or atleast from side to side??

i don't know for sure about your second question but i would guess that the wear would be quicker on a lowered car with bigger tyres.

it was on my old t5r when i had it lowered and my s70r now eats front tyres for breakfast so i try and buy the cheapest i can usually called nankashdakksha something or another ;)
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 07:54   #3
Silver70

I am getting even ware but the offside wheel outer edge goes quite quickly as well!!
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 10:12   #4
Mike Smith
Master Member

Default RE: Tyre Problem

Hi Kevin
This has been covered in depth quite a few times, try this link
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboa...ng_type=search

Regards
Mike Smith
----------
96 850 GLT
Mike Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 10:21   #5
sholtby
Premier Member

Even wear indicates that alignment is OK. If one wheel is wearing quicker than the other it is usually because of either a worn ball joint or lower control arm bushing on that side.
The mileage you are getting from your tyres seems very poor unless you drive very hard.
I can only suggest that you maybe change to a different brand of tyre and see how you get on and get the alignment checked.
Lowering a car or fitting larger wheels shouldnt effect tyre wear as long as the alignment is checked after lowering the car.
Try looking at the following sites for tyre information..

www.tyretest.com

www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/UTQG/

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 08:52   #6
tonyflynn1

I've got Nokian NRVi 205-50-16 on my T5, they cost me £60 a corner fitted and balanced by a small independent tyre firm in Surrey - outstanding value.
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:36   #7
sarge
Master Member

Kevin, I used P6000s on my '83 850 2.5 20v and reckoned on 10-12,000 miles from the front pair. My '98 V40 2.0T (which had wider tyres and lowered sports suspension) was more like 10,000 on P6000s. I used the cars' power for overtaking and had a bit of fun in them from time to time, but didn't thrash them. If you're driving hard a lot of the time, then your mileage is probably to be expected.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote