Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help please. I'm giving it one last go!

Views : 2992

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 15:15   #51
sdg1970
Master Member

Imo it's a myth the Motronic 4.3s/4.4s are any less sensitive to having non-Bosch electronic consumables than an ME7. My 97 car is just as sensitive as the previous 99/2000 V70s I've had - probably more so if I'm honest....
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 15:42   #52
Mkengineering
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Great news! I take it then that removing fuse #1 cleared the fault codes and reset your ECU successfully then?

As for the other Lambda/O2 sensor, i'm sure you can return it for a full refund if you got it from somewhere reputable.

With the plugs, i'd suggest giving it a sustained high speed run for 15-20 miles each way along your nearest motorway or similar.
This will burn off the fouling and also help the oil get warm enough to evaporate off any fuel that has gone into it from the overfueling.

It will also give the ECU a good learning period to adjust the fuel trims etc as they should be.
Cheers Scoob and thank you.

To reset it the ECU,all I did was take the ECU out removed the battery and installed a new one in.

But I've got new plugs so I may aswell install them and go for a long drive. Just happy shes running now. Wont be touching it ever again ahah.

So now I can concentrate on installing my brand new oem R front bumper aswell installing the rear R bumper aswel as that my coilovers and poly brushing set.
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 15:57   #53
PNuT
MaDMaN

I would change the oil, you have probably added some petrol to the oil by running that rich and it isn't a good thing!
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 18:42   #54
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkengineering View Post
Cheers Scoob and thank you.

To reset it the ECU,all I did was take the ECU out removed the battery and installed a new one in.

But I've got new plugs so I may aswell install them and go for a long drive. Just happy shes running now. Wont be touching it ever again ahah.

So now I can concentrate on installing my brand new oem R front bumper aswell installing the rear R bumper aswel as that my coilovers and poly brushing set.
I did say oxygen sensor! I take full credit.

So it's not for sale anymore then? I'll have to find myself a brick wall that someone needs removing in that case, to give my one the appropriate demise (if the dizzy cap doesn't work)
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 18:44   #55
taiwan740

Also,

37.5mpg? Really? is that including or excluding turbo boost pulls every 15 seconds?

I get 16
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 18:48   #56
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
I would change the oil, you have probably added some petrol to the oil by running that rich and it isn't a good thing!
That's why i suggested a long hot run ^^^^^, i'm sure he's going to be changing the oil fairly soon anyway.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 19:09   #57
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
I did say oxygen sensor! I take full credit.
Nah, can't let you do that!

You suggested unplugging it in post #4 @ 1911, which i hadn't seen at that point as i fell asleep after my dinner. By the time i posted my suggestion of checking or changing the Lambda sensor at 2042, post #14, the others in between also appeared as my post joined the rest.

Either way we were the first two to suggest it so we can both take the credit. I was the one that kept pointing out the ECU needed resetting for the changes to be recognised by the ECUbut the main thing is, it's sorted - isn't that what the forums about, helping others?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 22:13   #58
Mkengineering
Master Member

Quote:
Also,

37.5mpg? Really? is that including or excluding turbo boost pulls every 15 seconds?

I get 16

If I included spirited booster drives I'll get 23 to 25mpg.

But if I fo full wack as in top gun race mode Haha I'll get 18 to 22mpg
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 03:38   #59
PNuT
MaDMaN

I was also 100% sure it was the O2 sensor by the symptoms! I have found nothing else that will allow the engine to run that rich!
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 03:42   #60
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Also,

I get 16
If he is still using the shem map it will be because the numbers have been changed for injection time due to different injectors!

I think the computer uses a different set of numbers for MPG and they haven't been adjusted accordingly!

Mine did the same when I adjusted the map for greens....

Either that or he has indeed married Miss Daisy