Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil query

Views : 1190

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2020, 12:37   #11
Peter86
Pete

According to the castrol site your engine should be 0w30 A5/B5 oil.
Just go on yourself and double check with your reg number or call volvo and ask them. If they have put the wrong oil in go back and get it changed and with a new oil filter.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 13:11   #12
AndyV7o
Premier Member

'Synthetic blend' does point toward a semi, though most synthetics are hydrotreated mineral oils, so it depends on the amount of processing as to whether it constitutes a semi or fully.
To somewhat of a degree, what matters more is the additives/polymers and oci.
A3/B4 is not going to cause any trouble in this engine, infact it will most likely protect better.
It is in debate as to whether volvo changed the internal tolerances going from euro 3 to euro 4. If they did, it wont hurt, if they didnt, A3/B4 is the better oil to use. A3/B4 and A5/B5 are essentially the same other than the ''stability' of the oil under pressure', A5/B5 being less 'robust' than A3/B4 (easiest way to word it to the layman).
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 13:14   #13
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter86 View Post
According to the castrol site your engine should be 0w30 A5/B5 oil.
Just go on yourself and double check with your reg number or call volvo and ask them. If they have put the wrong oil in go back and get it changed and with a new oil filter.
It would be better to replace it indeed, but so long as it is changed early (8k max) it shouldnt do any harm, unless driven pretty hard.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 13:18   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
It would be better to replace it indeed, but so long as it is changed early (8k max) it shouldnt do any harm, unless driven pretty hard.
I think driving it hard ( on public roads) does oil more good than harm :-) By driving condensation out ..
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 14:46   #15
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I think driving it hard ( on public roads) does oil more good than harm :-) By driving condensation out ..
Getting it hot does that! 😉
Driving it hard provdes greater load intervals to the oil in the bearings (as does towing etc) meanng an oil with a lesser hths and/or loss of viscosity will allow metal-metal much more readily, plus, greater combustion byproducts and higher sustained temps kill the add-pack and oxidise the oil more.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 15:58   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Getting it hot does that! 😉
Driving it hard provdes greater load intervals to the oil in the bearings (as does towing etc) meanng an oil with a lesser hths and/or loss of viscosity will allow metal-metal much more readily, plus, greater combustion byproducts and higher sustained temps kill the add-pack and oxidise the oil more.
volvo engines and probably most other modern engines NEVER make metal to metal contact at the bearings , as you would realise if you examined a 150,000 mile crankshaft :-) to do so would be death within a short period of doing so :-)

Remember the engine has a heat exchanger for the oil so it rarely drifts from the temperature of the coolant even when pressing on it won't go over 120C which is well within even cheap oil limits . as high rpm is never used these days . Extended periods at 6000 rpm will rapidly heat the oil of course but with the high efficiency heat exchangers it wont rise far ..

Last edited by Clan; Jan 17th, 2020 at 16:07.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 20:30   #17
AndyV7o
Premier Member

There are parts of an engine which exceed the 'overall' oil temp, and the harder an engine is pushed the hotter these areas, this is where the oxidisation occurs. Cylinder walls, valves, and turbochargers to name but a few. Yes the oil temp post cooler might be 120° but elsewhere it can waaaaay exceed that, which is why oil cooling is used.
If you use the right oil in the right engine and drive it in the right way, no, you shouldnt get notable contact, but use the wrong oil (such as A5/B5 in an engine designed for A3/B4, or certain C spec oils in engines designed for A/B spec, etc) and/or push the engine hard, especially a diesel with slugs of torque, and yes you can get contact where you didn't ought.
To maintain the oil cushion within the bearings requires the correct hths, flow rate, oil pressure, clearances, rpm, viscosity, and balance of rotational mass. As the combustion pushes down on the crank, it disturbs the oil cushion and effectively tries to squeeze the oil away, the bigger the 'bangs' the harder the oil cushion tajes a pasting. An old big petrol volvo engine lazing around in a 240 will give little bother to this equilibrium, a turbo diesel being caned or towing a heavy load, fully laden, maybe both, puts one hell of a load on this oil cushion, so you dont want to tip the apple-cart where possible. Of course the D5 is still a well built and relatively lazy lump compared to summat like a 1.6d so is pretty tolerant at the end of the day.
Try running std 10w40 semi non vag spec in an early pd and see how long the camshaft lasts, or use the psa 1.6d dpf with cheap oil at 18k oci's switchng engine off immediately every time never giving turbo time to lose some heat, see how long until the oil turns to tar and clogs everythng up... 😉

Last edited by AndyV7o; Jan 17th, 2020 at 20:56.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 21:41   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
There are parts of an engine which exceed the 'overall' oil temp, and the harder an engine is pushed the hotter these areas, this is where the oxidisation occurs. Cylinder walls, valves, and turbochargers to name but a few. Yes the oil temp post cooler might be 120° but elsewhere it can waaaaay exceed that, which is why oil cooling is used.
If you use the right oil in the right engine and drive it in the right way, no, you shouldnt get notable contact, but use the wrong oil (such as A5/B5 in an engine designed for A3/B4, or certain C spec oils in engines designed for A/B spec, etc) and/or push the engine hard, especially a diesel with slugs of torque, and yes you can get contact where you didn't ought.
To maintain the oil cushion within the bearings requires the correct hths, flow rate, oil pressure, clearances, rpm, viscosity, and balance of rotational mass. As the combustion pushes down on the crank, it disturbs the oil cushion and effectively tries to squeeze the oil away, the bigger the 'bangs' the harder the oil cushion tajes a pasting. An old big petrol volvo engine lazing around in a 240 will give little bother to this equilibrium, a turbo diesel being caned or towing a heavy load, fully laden, maybe both, puts one hell of a load on this oil cushion, so you dont want to tip the apple-cart where possible. Of course the D5 is still a well built and relatively lazy lump compared to summat like a 1.6d so is pretty tolerant at the end of the day.
Try running std 10w40 semi non vag spec in an early pd and see how long the camshaft lasts, or use the psa 1.6d dpf with cheap oil at 18k oci's switchng engine off immediately every time never giving turbo time to lose some heat, see how long until the oil turns to tar and clogs everythng up... 😉
can't say running bearings is an issue on any volvos they are generously sized and case hardened too . The old 240 / 940 would run for ever as long as it was wet with oil in there , pressure or no pressure and have been fine with as little as one litre in there . I have seen it before my very eyes on many occasions with neglected ones ...:-)
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 22:17   #19
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It should be 0w/30 A5/B5 quality for the long 18000 mile service life it needs ...

5w/30 is for pre 2005 petrol engines with 12000 mile intervals
I wouldn't do 18,000 miles without changing the oil anyway, but that's just a personal preference. The owners manual says 0w-30 oil should be used, but I don't do any towing or what I'd consider to be 'hard' driving. When searching on Halfords & Euro Car Parts for oil, both 0w-30 & 5w-30 come up. I can only presume people use 5w-30 oil because its cheaper.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 17th, 2020 at 22:28.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 22:40   #20
Kev0607
Premier Member

Does anyone know what these codes are that come up on the diagnostics report?

CEM-B111513 High mounted stop lamp control - General Electrical Failures - Circuit open (DTC is found active)

ECM-P201500 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Perf (Bank 1) - (DTC is found active)