Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can you help? Buying a 440 Si 1.0 turbo diesel Nreg

Views : 1221

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 19:51   #11
Duncan_Disorderly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgad View Post
Hi tj. Mine has a ticking noise too from initial start up and until you get a cahnce to boost the turbo. As soon as possible, in a lower gear if you're in speed limit, give it a little bit of boot. The turbo kicks in and the ticking stops - until the next cold start. It may have something to with priming itself. I'm not a diesel expert but I am beginning to love the tractor-like noise and the torque in the windy hilly bits of Wales. Mine is Peacock blue but I did want a BRG one.
What is that ticking noise? I'm glad it's not just me that's experienced it! Thankfully it does go as soon as the engine has been revved a little. What is that ticking noise? Had the same engine in a Renault 19; that didn't tick.

Ty, how are you finding the car? I bought one a month ago, an M-reg 460 GLT TDi, in BRG, leather interior, 151,000 miles, taxed till January 08, MoT till June 08 for £250.

As cheap as chips to run and insure. Doesn't like the twisty Welsh B roads much, but eats up the motorway miles.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

Last edited by Duncan_Disorderly; Sep 5th, 2007 at 19:52. Reason: Forgot to enter mileage.
Duncan_Disorderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 19:55   #12
4 forty
VOC Member

Default ticking noise

the ticking noise is caused on initial start up due to the hydraulic tappits being starved of oil,usually an oil change cures it, or, you can use wynns hydraulic valve lifter treatment.

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 12:35   #13
marne

maybe it becalms u a bit:
i bought my 460Td in may this year. it ticks for a minute after i start the enigne . every 0.5 second a silent tick...tick...tick. alltogether this car makes noises. it jars nearly everywhere, and many things break... have a look at your trunk because often water gets in there on the left and right side. but this car runs and runs with very low diesel consumption. so ride and enjoy it

ps: mine has already 143.ooo miles (240.000km) and still runs nice.
sorry for my bad english and greetings from germany
marne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:26   #14
dralphs

Default ticking noise

hi all

i've had 3 diesel 440s and they all ticked on a cold start. Its the glow plug relays.

On a cold start the glow plugs come on (pre-heat) after a few secs the warning light goes off and you can start the car. The relays then alternatively energise each pair of glow plugs for about half a second on 1-2 secs off until the engine reaches about 60C or after a time delay of about 3-5 mins. I think they also get turned off If the engine is put under boost.

As the relays are on the bulkhead you can hear the tick, tick as they switch on and off (they are switching 20+ amps).

Dave
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 13:45   #15
marne

Very interesting dralphs! Thank u.
What happened to these 440? Did u kill them , or is there anything in this car that always breaks after a certain time, thats too expensive to repair?
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 12:45   #16
dralphs

hi

first one (M reg) kept for 3 years and had done 180,000 miles when traded in for a newer lower milage one
2nd one (N Reg) had only done 60,000 (owned for a year) but snapped cambelt (so much for service history) and just wasn't worth repairing even though rest of car was good, as could get another for same price as rebuilding the engine.
3rd one had done 100,000+ miles when sold on. Only sold as chance bid on ebay ended up with me getting my current S40 XS Diesel.

Only moral really is to ignore the service history and do a full service and change cambelt & tensioner when you buy unless you can confirm its been done. I normally do so on all cars i buy but didn't on the 2nd one as it had supposedly been done.

Only items i know to watch out for are.

Service it as per book and use Genuine Oil Filter

Fuel filter/priming pump housing - seals can leak causing poor starting
Headlamp Bulbs - use good ones as they are on all the time.
Clutch/Gearbox - treat with respect as although its only 90bhp its a LOT of torque for the clutch to handle although the gearbox seems fine.

If never been changed, check/change glowplugs

dave
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 10:33   #17
marne

Thank u for the detailed answer dralphs! Yes your right the torque is fantastic, thats why i love this car . I think i gonna change the belt, so previous owner was telling me anything... but now i know that he didn't tell the truth about many things*aaarrrggghhh*.
one Question is left: why should we use genuine volvo oilfilters?
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 09:14   #18
dralphs

Default oil filter

hi

only reason i know is that genuine filters have a non-return valve in them that stops oil draining back and helps in getting oil around the engine quicker on startup.

Allegedly cheap pattern filters do not.

I presume good quality ones are fine as probably are Renault ones (its a Renault engine)

Dave
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 14:55   #19
marne

Thank u very much. I need to change the oil in the next 4 weeks, and the filter will be a genuine one